Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - NYC Recommendations

Options
There's plenty of information on the interwebs on where to eat in NYC but I thought I'd ask the wisest people on the interweb.

I'll be in NYC on a leisure trip the weekend on 7/20 through 7/23.  The only thing planned is watching the Yankees on Friday night and the Bruce Springsteen on Broadway show on Saturday night.  Other than that I would like to see the Statue of Liberty and the 911 memorial.  Please give me any advice of what to see and more importantly where to eat.  Thanks for any help you can give me. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited July 2018
    Options
    There's plenty of information on the interwebs on where to eat in NYC but I thought I'd ask the wisest people on the interweb.

I'll be in NYC on a leisure trip the weekend on 7/20 through 7/23.  The only thing planned is watching the Yankees on Friday night and the Bruce Springsteen on Broadway show on Saturday night.  Other than that I would like to see the Statue of Liberty and the 911 memorial.  Please give me any advice of what to see and more importantly where to eat.  Thanks for any help you can give me. 

Peter Luger, Gramaldi's, Katz's

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    What kind of cuisine and price range?
    Greensboro, NC
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Never tried either, but next time I'm in the city I want to have a pizza at Una Pizza Napoletana, Anthony Mangieri's place, Lower East Side. And/or Paulie Gee's in Brooklyn. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    Tony Di Napoli's, Carmines, I second Grmaldi's (get the Margherita)....

St. Patrick's Cathedral, Central Park, 5th Ave, Grand Central..

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I used to go to the city 3-4-5 times a year, now not so much. Some of my favorite things to do were sitting on the steps of St. Patricks and watching the world go by. Morrell's is just steps away for a nice lunch. 
    https://www.rockefellercenter.com/food-and-drink/morrell-wine-bar-cafe/

Grand Central Station is always good, oyster bar in the basement is super.

I would recommend the gardens and library at the UN. 

Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island are a must. I do them every few years but almost always go to Battery Park to see the Lady. When you are that far south you aren't 2 far from the WTC. 

In the area I always like people watching in Washington Square Park, don't stare. Well stare if you must, they seem to like it. 

Too many great restaurants to share but one I'm real partial to is Giorgione on Spring St. Very reasonable by NY standards. On the other end of Spring St is Balthazar, definitely should try.

Central Park has some of the most beautiful women in the world jogging on Saturday mornings. 

Have a great time. Greatest city in the world.

• Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Options
    Wolfpack said:

I'm open to different kinds of cuisine, my lovely GF loves Italian.  I don't mind dropping a $150-$200  on one meal while we're there, I don't want to spend a fortune on every meal.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    Wolfpack said:

I'm open to different kinds of cuisine, my lovely GF loves Italian.  I don't mind dropping a $150-$200  on one meal while we're there, I don't want to spend a fortune on every meal.
    Tony Di Napoli's
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 234
    Options
    When we were in NYC early March we ate twice at Indian Accent on W. 56 St. Great food, great service, kinda pricey, but thoroughly enjoyed it.

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Shake Shack for lunch. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    Probably the best meal I’ve ever eaten was at a wedding reception at Daniel.  You’ll spend more than $200 there though. 

For Italian, you can’t go wrong at Felidia. A friend/colleague who spent his first 20+ years in Italy likes it best of all Italian restaurants in Manhattan and took me there last fall. If Lidia is there (unlikely, at this point she has multiple restaurants in multiple cities) tell them you were sent by a friend of Fabrizio’s. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Leopoldstoch
    Leopoldstoch Posts: 1,182
    Options
    I’ll start with saying I have never been, but would love to live vicariously through someone else so I suggest going to Le Bernadin and report back to me with how great the seafood is!

Brandon - Ohio

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    We stayed at the Crown Plaza near Times Square last 4th of July - great pizza joint right around the corner.  Rays Pizza at midnight after all of the fireworks was great!!!

Magnolia Bakery, Greenwich Village: killer banana pudding.  

You can google DDD to see places Guy has been. 
  • JoeA
    JoeA Posts: 31
    Options
    Best pasta in NYC IMHO Osteria Morini, reasonable for Manhattan.  It's a couple of blocks away from Balthazar which has a great Sunday brunch.  I'm partial to John's Pizza on Bleeker. Enjoy
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Bump with a side-bar interest- 
    Heading to Brooklyn in a couple of weeks-Breweries and solid food (working man) recs appreciated.  While the "guide" has a plan I am always up for alternatives.   In advance-thanks.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Friggin sunk- dang!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    ^^^^^ I know WTF And why^^^^
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    When we went we visited the MET and Museum of Natural History in 1 day. probably could have spent a day in each but they each were definitely worth seeing. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    Options
    I'm partial to 11 Madison Park but reservations can be tricky.  Frozen hot chocolate at Serendipity 3 is good.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Wolfpack said:

Italian places I like:

Felidias on 58th and 2nd

little fancier- La Marea on Columbus circle- really strong

La Masseria or sister restaurant Masserina De Vini

highly recommend ramen joints for low key lunch- Some goods ones Totto Ramen, Ippudo, etc

Also check out “the little owl” down in west village-  small place so need reservation but worth it. 
    Greensboro, NC