Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Branzino on the egg

Options
Branzino on the egg stuffed with lemon, thyme, bay leaf (herbs fresh from garden), olive oil, s/p. 400 degrees, 8 minutes a side. Excellent.
BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I bet that was real good!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @eggnewtoy
    It looks mighty fine sister. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    yes, please!  looks great.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    Grilled fish is my favorite. Nicely done. 
    IL 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Sounds tasty!

Did you use fresh bay leaf? If yes, what else do you cook with it? I've never tasted it before. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    I love branzino - great looking cook.  If any of you find yourself in Memphis, go to a restaurant called Bari, and order the grilled whole branzino.  It’s awesome!! 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    Options
    caliking said:
    Sounds tasty!

Did you use fresh bay leaf? If yes, what else do you cook with it? I've never tasted it before. 
    I didn’t but am buying today and will plant if I can find a live plant.  I do have room for another plant in my herb and veg garden.

• cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    eggnewtoy said:
    caliking said:
    Sounds tasty!

I didn’t but am buying today and will plant if I can find a live plant.  I do have room for another plant in my herb and veg garden.
    Read this before you go through the effort:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/03/ask-the-food-lab-whats-the-point-of-bay-leaves.html

Good info to know.

Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options
    Nice!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,053
    Options
  • eggnewtoy
    Options
    cssmd27 said:
    eggnewtoy said:
    caliking said:
    Sounds tasty!

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/03/ask-the-food-lab-whats-the-point-of-bay-leaves.html

Good info to know.

I took your advise.  Thx for the info.

• cssmd27
    Options
    eggnewtoy said:
    cssmd27 said:
    eggnewtoy said:
    caliking said:
    Sounds tasty!

Good info to know.

Actually, your suggestion of planting a bay leaf plant made me investigate out of curiosity regarding bay leaf plants and that's what I found.  I didn't know that it's one of the few herbs that are likely better bought dried rather than fresh.  Now I do.
  • Fredb
    Fredb Posts: 89
    Options
    That looks great but I am unfamiliar with this type of fish.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Interesting article.  I had posted a thread several years ago, saying I didn't even know what "bay" tasted like.  I had crushed a leaf in water, another in oil, and another in alcohol, to cover volatiles that dissolve in one but not the others.  I couldn't taste anything in any of them, and quit using bay.
    I completely forgot about heat!  :tired_face:

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Fredb said:
    That looks great but I am unfamiliar with this type of fish.
    It's Mediterranean/European sea bass.  Delicious.  Usually marketed here by it's Italian name, Branzino.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Yes, Ma'am.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Jpcoolwell
    Jpcoolwell Posts: 13
    Options
    That looks great
    Carrollton, GA with a LBGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    @cssmd27 - thanks for the link.  Learn something here dang near every day and that was a positive.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    porgy is a similar mild white fish that grill great on a salt block. 
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Yummm!  I love Branzino….that and Red Snapper are my favorites.  Nice cook.
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Options
    Home run- looks great
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • eggnewtoy
    Options
    cssmd27 said:
    eggnewtoy said:
    cssmd27 said:
    eggnewtoy said:
    caliking said:
    Sounds tasty!

Good info to know.

Actually, your suggestion of planting a bay leaf plant made me investigate out of curiosity regarding bay leaf plants and that's what I found.  I didn't know that it's one of the few herbs that are likely better bought dried rather than fresh.  Now I do.
    I have a dehydrator....:)

• cssmd27
    edited August 2018
    Options
    eggnewtoy said:
    cssmd27 said:
    eggnewtoy said:
    cssmd27 said:
    eggnewtoy said:
    caliking said:
    Sounds tasty!

Good info to know.

Ha!  I thought is was a species difference.  Give it a go and let us know.  I'm sure you can find a use even if you have to modify dosing or application.  My knowledge is limited to that article and I wasn't that focused when I read it.
  • eggnewtoy
    Options
    cssmd27 said:
    eggnewtoy said:
    cssmd27 said:
    eggnewtoy said:
    cssmd27 said:
    eggnewtoy said:
    caliking said:
    Sounds tasty!

Good info to know.

Ha!  I thought is was a species difference.  Give it a go and let us know.  I'm sure you can find a use even if you have to modify dosing or application.  My knowledge is limited to that article and I wasn't that focused when I read it.
    I am dehydrating my herb garden to see if fresh dried herbs are better than what I buy at Pensky’s.  Will post.  Starting with basil, rosemary, thyme, oregano.  :)

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    we buy a lot of freeze dried herbs.  they measure out the same as fresh (like I ever measure herbs...hahaha) and taste pretty close to fresh.
    Options
    we buy a lot of freeze dried herbs.  they measure out the same as fresh (like I ever measure herbs...hahaha) and taste pretty close to fresh.
    Thx for that.  starting on my project today.