Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Sous Vide Tip, big container for ribs

SmokeyPitt
SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
Looking for a container big enough for frozen ribs?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

Comments

• Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    That is a great idea! Did the cryovac stay water tight?
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Way to improvise!

What temp are you SV'ing at?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Nice job. I haven’t done Th SV ribs things but many on here swear by t!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SmokeyPitt
    I am cooking at 167. The cryovac was holding but it ballooned up a bit so I opened them and resealed with food saver. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Clever solution brother. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Nice workaround.  I've found this brand's products to be fairly useful and it looks like it would fit your sous vide immersion circulator well:  https://www.amazon.com/LIPAVI-Sous-Vide-Container-Polycarbonate/dp/B014U596GO
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • SmokeyPitt
    167 for 8 hours and finished them raised direct at 375ish. They were pretty good. Not really any better than a straight smoke but pretty giod. They were had a good competition bite to them. Not falling off the bone but pulled away clean. 

• SmokeyPitt
    Cross section

• Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    Very nice.
    375 on the grill, just to give it some crisp? Or did you leave them in for a while?
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    That’s a genius idea. I’ve used an ice chest before. Way to think outside the box!
  • SmokeyPitt
    Gym said:
    Very nice.
    375 on the grill, just to give it some crisp? Or did you leave them in for a while?
    Just to crisp up the exterior and to set the sauce. About 15 min total

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932

@smokeypitt the Ribs look great and solid audible you called there with the drawer.

I also see where you asked the question I'm about to discuss below, but I feel inclined to post about it for any future egger searching for recipes and ideas.

Ensure that anytime you are cooking SV, you know what type of plastic your food is cooking within.  The most up to date info that I have says that the safest plastics are high-density polyethylene, low-density polyethylene, and polypropylene.  Other plastics may not be rated for correct cooking temperatures and can leach into your food. 

To determine if your packaging is safe to SV in, look for either "microwave safe" or "boil safe on the packaging and it is usually fine with SV.

Another way to tell if your plastic is safe is to look  at the plastic resin code on the bag and verify that if it matches the approved, food grade list above.

My personal preference is to always rebag.  This gets me away from fears related to the plastics, inks, absorbent pads/inserts and heat penetration issues arising from the additional thickness of stacked meats.

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    johnnyp said:

@smokeypitt the Ribs look great and solid audible you called there with the drawer.

I also see where you asked the question I'm about to discuss below, but I feel inclined to post about it for any future egger searching for recipes and ideas.

Ensure that anytime you are cooking SV, you know what type of plastic your food is cooking within.  The most up to date info that I have says that the safest plastics are high-density polyethylene, low-density polyethylene, and polypropylene.  Other plastics may not be rated for correct cooking temperatures and can leach into your food. 

To determine if your packaging is safe to SV in, look for either "microwave safe" or "boil safe on the packaging and it is usually fine with SV.

Another way to tell if your plastic is safe is to look  at the plastic resin code on the bag and verify that if it matches the approved, food grade list above.

My personal preference is to always rebag.  This gets me away from fears related to the plastics, inks, absorbent pads/inserts and heat penetration issues arising from the additional thickness of stacked meats.

Solid advice!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SmokeyPitt
    @johnnyp That is solid advice for sure.  I actually went back to my previous post after I dropped it in the bath and was deciding if I should leave it in. As the water got to about 140 it started to balloon up a bit so I decided to reseal. There is also a lot of juice trapped in the bag and "cryo-funk" that I would rather not cook in. 

In the future if I freeze ribs I will open them up, trim, season, seal and then they will be ready to throw in the bath. 

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,358
    edited July 2018
    I cut the racks in half, season them and a couple drops of liquid smoke before freezing them. Last ones were 152 for 24 hrs, 300 grille with sauce until nicely charred. I really liked them.

In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • SmokeyPitt
    @GlennM - those look beautiful! 

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,358
    Thanks. They were delicious. I like this method 
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario