Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burnt Brisket - Suggestions?

Options

Trimmed my 8.33 lb brisket according to the BBQ with Franklin video. Coated brisket with salt and pepper like Franklin. Used a plate setter. Warmed up egg to 250 according to the BGE thermometer on the lid. Cooked my brisket on the grates, with plate setter in place for indirect cooking for 6 to 7 hours. Bottom of brisket was burnt and hard. Top of brisket was burnt, but not totally garbage. Parts of the edges of the brisket were hard. Thermapen read anywhere from 203 to 215 on the internal temp of the brisket. After cutting away the bottom of the brisket, parts of the meat were edible and tasty actually. I think I used too much salt.

So it was a learning opportunity for me. Would you guys recommend going down to 200 on my outside thermometer or lower?

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Trim off the burnt parts and make chili

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    chop it up removing the burnt parts and put it in a chili. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Chili with the rest....throw the over cooked pieces in some of your favorite BBQ sauce for an hour or so @350.....toss on to a bun.....throw some bleu cheese crumbles and sriracha.
    You are welcome.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,400
    Options
    I'm guessing your entry brisket cut was a flat given the weight.  Regardless, the key is not the temp but the feel. No clue regarding your set-up but to get a top and bottom of a brisket burned leads me to question if your thermo is calibrated... (Any calibrated thermo is the key to success.)
    Seasoning will not hose the cook if you nail the finish-the taste perhaps.  FWIW-
    Anyhow the search function here will give you more than you can digest regarding a  brisket cook. Get back on the cow and go again.
    BTW- welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun as we have all hosed up several cooks. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jwfortune
    jwfortune Posts: 4
    Options
    I am pretty sure it was a whole Brisket - it had the flat part and the fat part.  I have calibrated my thermometer - well its been a year.  I have a Large sized egg from Brownsboro hardware.  Fat side was up.  So I guess just lower the temp?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,400
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Brisket finish-line is best indicated by the feel in the thick part of the flat (regardless of whether a packer or solo flat).  Cook temp  only impacts the time to get to the feel.  And the "feel" is when the thick part of the flat " probes like buttah".  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    jwfortune said:
    ... I have calibrated my thermometer - well its been a year.  ...  So I guess just lower the temp?
    No.  Reduce time not the temp.  Re-calibrate your thermometer - a lot can happen in a year.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    I see two potential issues here that you may be able to address on your next cook.

1) You did not have a drip pan above the platesetter?   The burned bottom is probably from radiant heat from the platesetter.  The fire is just below the platesetter and that ceramic can get quite hot.  Most of us put something to create an air gap (foil balls, metal nuts, whatever) and then a drip pan above the platesetter for this reason.  (I burned the bottoms of some ribs before I figured this out.  The higher the cooking temp, the more of an issue this can be. 

2) Was your dome thermometer was reading 250 shortly after putting the brisket on?  Depending on how close the big, cold, hunk of meat (recognizing that by brisket standards this was not that big) was to the tip of the thermometer, when the meat is first put on, if the dome thermometer is reading 250, you may be cooking at a significantly higher temp.  That's why most people recommend ignoring the initial temp drop when you put on the meat.  This becomes more of an issue when you load on lots of meat - 2 briskets, multiple pork shoulders, etc.

I hope this helps.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• jwfortune
    jwfortune Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks for the comments and the help.  I can't wait to try again.  Drip pan, dome thermometer issues, fat side down?, lower cook temp...all things I need to consider.  
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    As @YukonRon said, but serve on some white bread, w onions and pickles.  Pickled white onions if you have the time.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95