Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SRF Meat Counter at Austin Costco

2»

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    HeavyG said:
    Photo Egg said:
    caliking said:
    Photo Egg said:
    caliking said:
    Photo Egg said:
    That's worth a 4 hour road trip each way...
    You guys probably have them in Houston. I would call 
    I know where I'll be at 10:01 am tomorrow... 
    Let me know what you find please.
    Will do.

The Pearland one is right by me. But I have a feeling I'll strike out. Its the ugly stepchild of the ones around here.

Did you know about the Costco slated to open in Friendswood later this year? That would be a fair deal closer to you. 
    Yes, eagerly waiting for new store. I dont currently have a membership as there is not a  store I can easily shop.
    I pass 3 Sam's Club stores on my way home from work.lol
    The stuff @Focker was getting from his Sam's Club with their newly redone meat counter was looking pretty impressive. You might want to see if they have done that to your area yet. If my Sam's were to do that meat counter remodel I might have to reconsider my anti-Walmart bias and rejoin.
    So far no upgraded meat counters  near me.
    But the new Costco might force the upgrades, I hope.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • I have been to my Costco before 10 and they generally open the door 5-10 minutes early.  It doesn’t have the meat counter so not sure they will have the SRF but will sure check today.

XL, 2-Lg, Mini, 36" Blackstone (Formerly CM23)
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112

I was up north on 183 today. haven't been south or Cedar park yet. You can call your club and they will tell you if they have it
    The Mrs will be there at 10 AM today with one of these on her list.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Made a Costco run earlier in the week, realized we forgot something, so we NEED to go back now.  Will check the So. Austin store, but I’d be surprised if they don’t have it.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Can you get a 1/2” SRF steak?
  • Legume said:
    Made a Costco run earlier in the week, realized we forgot something, so we NEED to go back now.  Will check the So. Austin store, but I’d be surprised if they don’t have it.
    You must. I would be surprised if they don't have it as well. post some pics here if they do
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Here Sams club opens at 7am for business and the 100 dollar membership. The scan and pay is also a great perk of SAMs. Costco has better selection though on most everything, and no prime meats in my local stores for SAMs, Costco yes. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    Do they carry prime rib? 
  • xfire_ATX
    My wife grabbed us an 11# Brisket.. now how good is July 4th going to be?
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • xfire_ATX said:
    very
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    xfire_ATX said:
    Liberating. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829
    Just called my Costco as I am cooking 4 briskets for a party tonight/tomorrow.  No dice.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn said:
    Just called my Costco as I am cooking 4 briskets for a party tonight/tomorrow.  No dice.
    Bummer. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    @Photo Egg no love at the Pearland store. Was considering checking Sugarland and the one on Richmond Ave, but the day seems to have gotten away from me. 

BUT - the Pearland one does have their usual prime grade beef in the special meat case. Which means that you can buy individual cuts instead of 4 steaks in a pack. 

Oh, and these were right by the entrance @The Cen-Tex Smoker

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    edited June 2018
    @R2Egg2Q - At that price you are granted a "Fast-Pass" to brisket heaven.  "Better to be lucky than good" is way underrated for that score.  Dang- I need to take a pause from this thread...  You want to know how good you have it-give this link a look  ;)
    https://www.snakeriverfarms.com/american-kobe-beef/brisket.html  Son of a b!tch- 
    Go big or go home...
    Edit:  You are beyond lucky-your wife will treat you like a financial genius....Strike with the brisket iron is hot  =)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited June 2018
    @lousubcap - I asked her to stop by and see if she could find ONE and she texts me saying the butcher says it’s 70 cents/lb less for a case and asks me if I want a case! I’m so happy I may go buy her something nice on the way home!

Thanks @The Cen-Tex Smoker for posting it!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    caliking said:
    @Photo Egg no love at the Pearland store. Was considering checking Sugarland and the one on Richmond Ave, but the day seems to have gotten away from me. 

BUT - the Pearland one does have their usual prime grade beef in the special meat case. Which means that you can buy individual cuts instead of 4 steaks in a pack. 

Oh, and these were right by the entrance @The Cen-Tex Smoker

Thanks buddy. The ribeye caps look amazing.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • xfire_ATX
    Just put my 11# SRF on the egg for consumption tomorrow.

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    The SRF ribeye caps are ridiculous.  Like butter.
    NOLA
  • lousubcap
    @xfire_ATX - Not sure on your slice on demand and eat time but that seems like a very early start on face value.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • xfire_ATX
    lousubcap said:
    @xfire_ATX - Not sure on your slice on demand and eat time but that seems like a very early start on face value.  FWIW-

Need it for tomorrow lunch, which is an hour away- plus the wife will want to leave here early enough to get out there mid morning..  No patience for an overnight cook.

My plan is to follow this
    Mickey said:
    This is something i saved from this site as well as Franklins advice. 

HEATING A BRISKET

transported a brisket from Texas to Louisiana for a family reunion a few months ago. After the brisket finished cooking, I let it rest so the juices would redistribute. Once it cooled to under 120, I left it whole and vacuum sealed it in the large vacuum sealer bags (Not a commercial sealer, by any means). Put it on ice in the cooler and went on my way. When it came time to reheat, I pulled it from the ice and let it sit on the counter for about 30 minutes. Then put it in an empty cooler. I had some water on the stove warming to a simmer. Once it was warm and steaming (Absolutely not boiling!) I poured it in the cooler on top of the brisket and let it warm up for about an hour. Pulled it - cut it - served it. It was wonderful. That's the exact way Franklin sells his whole briskets. Good luck! 

KEEP REFRIGERATED AT OR BELOW 41*F UNTIL READY TO REHEAT.

Reheating Instructions for sous-vide method:
    * Remove package from refrigerator. Do not break seal. If frozen, defrost in refrigerator for 1 to 2 days. 
    * Submerse sealed package in a pot of simmering (not boiling) water, for about 1 hour. 
    * Reheat to preferred internal temperature (USDA recommends reheating internal temp of 165º)
    Oven method:
    * Unwrap brisket from sealed plastic and place the brisket in a baking dish.
    * Slice several pads of butter onto the top of brisket & cover dish with aluminum foil.
    * Place in pre-heated oven at 250º
    * Reheat to preferred internal temperature (USDA recommends reheating internal temp of 165º)
    Reheating time varies between 1 and 2 hours

• lousubcap
    Gonna be a great cook and eats.  Thanks for the insights.  Safe travels.
  • Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    I called all the Costco's around me and no luck just yet. Apparently a few are suppose to get them but don't know when yet. I'll just have to keep waiting.
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Please HELP a desperate poor egger who would love to try SRF brisket but cant get pass the sticker shock on SRF website. If any one of you fellow eggers are willing to pickup a case or 2 of SRF black label brisket from their local Costco and freeze and ship to me In New York, I would love to take advantage of this deal but live in NY and the costco's by me do not have any SRF and at $4.29lb how can you go wrong. I will of course pay for the shipping and handling and brisket and maybe just maybe through in a little something extra. let me know if anyone has the time to hook this egger up!!!
    I know you cant see me but im actually on mu knees begging!!
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    mlc2013 said:
    Please HELP a desperate poor egger who would love to try SRF brisket but cant get pass the sticker shock on SRF website. If any one of you fellow eggers are willing to pickup a case or 2 of SRF black label brisket from their local Costco and freeze and ship to me In New York, I would love to take advantage of this deal but live in NY and the costco's by me do not have any SRF and at $4.29lb how can you go wrong. I will of course pay for the shipping and handling and brisket and maybe just maybe through in a little something extra. let me know if anyone has the time to hook this egger up!!!
    You have sticker shock on $160 brisket, but would by 1 or 2 cases (14-28 briskets) for $1,000 - $2,000??  I don't see how you can be a "poor egger" ??  
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    GoooDawgs unless Im mistaken (happens all the time) the price per case for 4  x briskets weighing a total of 57 lbs is in the neighborhood of $250.00 @$4.29LB. (Photo above posted by R2Egg2Q) where as the price per case from SRF (I am just guessing as I have never priced out a case just 1 brisket) is about $130.00 each so 4 x 130= $520.00 a case. Basically the Costco SRF Black brisket is about ½ price the SRF black brisket on SRF website. Im not sure if all cases are packed 4 briskets or if they are just packing that way for Costco. If the case come packed 14 briskets then yes you are correct no way I can afford that to put in my freezer right now. 
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • GoooDawgs said:
    mlc2013 said:
    You have sticker shock on $160 brisket, but would by 1 or 2 cases (14-28 briskets) for $1,000 - $2,000??  I don't see how you can be a "poor egger" ??  
    brisket cases are generally 4-6. 
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Ah I stand corrected.  When I tried to order them from the Costco business center in Atlanta they had a 14 brisket minimum to deliver them.  I guess that was different than the typical case.  My apologies @mlc2013

Hopefully we can start a SRF Costco tracker thread soon....   but like others have said I dont know how they could increase their production to supply that many Costcos.
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Yes most of the N. Texas Costco's have the Briskets already. The Meat Department Rep told me the one out here in Rockwall will be getting the steaks sometime later in the summer. They were currently "testing the waters for Wagyu" as he put it. Said it may end up only being a regular thing in the more affluent areas.
    That is great news because every cut of meat I have purchased from the Rockwall Costco has not lived up to the standards of our SAustin Costco, or the Costco on Central expressway.  Will be keeping an eye out for SRF at Rockwall Costco
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx