Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meats from Kroger not good

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    That's the other thing that sucks. I don't really have any local butcher shops around me. They are all like 20-30 miles away. Kinda annoying to have to drive 45min to an hour to go to the local butcher for meat every week.
    Do you have a Fresh Market near by? Where we live they put chicken breast and ground beef on sale every Tuesday (I think it is $2.99/lb). I have a Kroger one mile from my house and refuse to step foot in there.

Not really. I live about 30 Miles outside of Dallas. Any fresh markets or butcher shops are a 45min-1hour drive from me. At least the ones I would want to shop in for sanitary reasons. That's the crap of my issue. I live in a town with 50,000+ people right outside of Dallas and our grocery selection is crap.
    I’m gonna take a stab at where you might live and suggest Old Town in Lewisville. It might be worth the short drive if I’m right. 

Nope =) , I live east in Rockwall. Lewisville would take me 2hours with traffic. I've got several La Michoacana Meat Markets near me. The issue with those is I worked for Coca Cola in College and would go check in on those stores sometimes. I wouldn't step foot in another one of those sh*thole stores to buy a pack of gum let alone any meat my family would consume.
    I had you pegged for Grapevine. Lol. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited July 2018
    That's the other thing that sucks. I don't really have any local butcher shops around me. They are all like 20-30 miles away. Kinda annoying to have to drive 45min to an hour to go to the local butcher for meat every week.
    Do you have a Fresh Market near by? Where we live they put chicken breast and ground beef on sale every Tuesday (I think it is $2.99/lb). I have a Kroger one mile from my house and refuse to step foot in there.

Not really. I live about 30 Miles outside of Dallas. Any fresh markets or butcher shops are a 45min-1hour drive from me. At least the ones I would want to shop in for sanitary reasons. That's the crap of my issue. I live in a town with 50,000+ people right outside of Dallas and our grocery selection is crap.
    I’m gonna take a stab at where you might live and suggest Old Town in Lewisville. It might be worth the short drive if I’m right. 

Nope =) , I live east in Rockwall. Lewisville would take me 2hours with traffic. I've got several La Michoacana Meat Markets near me. The issue with those is I worked for Coca Cola in College and would go check in on those stores sometimes. I wouldn't step foot in another one of those sh*thole stores to buy a pack of gum let alone any meat my family would consume.
    I had you pegged for Grapevine. Lol. 

I wish it was Southlake but I would need a couple promotions at work 1st.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• TEXASBGE2018
      Take a step of your high stool and give it a shot.  I had the same mind set for a while until a buddy finally convinced me otherwise.  Not sure why I had the thoughts of it being an inferior product even though I had never tried it.
    Hahaha, now you sound like my brother.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
      Take a step of your high stool and give it a shot.  I had the same mind set for a while until a buddy finally convinced me otherwise.  Not sure why I had the thoughts of it being an inferior product even though I had never tried it.
    Hahaha, now you sound like my brother.
    To be clear, I don't normally buy meat from there.  But most of their other products are great.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    caliking said:
    Have you started any new medications recently? Some meds can alter your taste. 

Good point, and let's not forget the Lone Star Tic.
    caliking said:

If I ever get bit by that I will walk into oncoming traffic. The idea of no red meat makes me weep.

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    caliking said:

If I ever get bit by that I will walk into oncoming traffic. The idea of no red meat makes me weep.
    2 of my 3 brother-in-laws have a red meat allergy now due to it.  Really sucks for them.  It was a real crazy situation with both before doctors could pinpoint the problem.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • TEXASBGE2018
    caliking said:

2 of my 3 brother-in-laws have a red meat allergy now due to it.  Really sucks for them.  It was a real crazy situation with both before doctors could pinpoint the problem.

Question @nolaegghead. Does the fact that I'm Cajun make me immune to this evil b*st*rd tick?

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I'm a recent local butcher convert myself, and I'm amazed at the quality difference.

Air chilled chicken that taste "chickeny" is delightful. Same goes for the pork.

And their 80/20 Black Angus ground beef is $3/lb. That's cheaper that Kroger.
    With the chicken being $2.68/lb

Well worth the cost and I'll never look at the big box retailers, with the exception of Costco, for meat again

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• TEXASBGE2018
    ColtsFan said:
    I'm a recent local butcher convert myself, and I'm amazed at the quality difference.

Air chilled chicken that taste "chickeny" is delightful. Same goes for the pork.

Well worth the cost and I'll never look at the big box retailers, with the exception of Costco, for meat again

I think I need to try and find a butcher. I just looked on google and there are a few on my crazy commute home from work that I could probably swing by. Maybe I can just stop in there once a week.

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    ColtsFan said:

I think I need to try and find a butcher. I just looked on google and there are a few on my crazy commute home from work that I could probably swing by. Maybe I can just stop in there once a week.
    I usually keep a small/decent cooler in the truck just for this reason. I pass by a German house, from time to time, that sells amazing sausages. I always stop and grab a few lbs and through them in the cooler
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    caliking said:

And apparently on the rise according to UNC

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/red-meat-allergy-transmitted-by-lone-star-ticks-on-the-rise/
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    caliking said:

Question @nolaegghead. Does the fact that I'm Cajun make me immune to this evil b*st*rd tick?
    Sadly, that is doubtful.  

That's a terrible allergy to get, one is allergic to all mammalian meat with the exception of primates and humans.  So if you're a cannibal or like to munch on, say, monkey brains, no problems.  Otherwise it's just fish, reptiles and poultry.

edited July 2018
    caliking said:

Sadly, that is doubtful.  

That's a terrible allergy to get, one is allergic to all mammalian meat with the exception of primates and humans.  So if you're a cannibal or like to munch on, say, monkey brains, no problems.  Otherwise it's just fish, reptiles and poultry.

I have a friend who got it from the Lone Star Tic. Since he found out fish was OK, he started drinking like one.  He seems happy enough.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 900
    Kroger is the main option here, since I live in the backyard of their headquarters. The stores are generally great, and I don't have much of a problem with their meats. I don't like the "enhanced with 15% solution" chickens, so I normally get chickens from a farmer's market although it's a bit of a trip for me to go there.

Kroger ribs are generally OK, but I much prefer the ribs at Aldi's.

I actually prefer the bone-in pork shoulders from Kroger. They're Smithfield, and I've been very happy with them.

I can usually find some pretty great steak bargains at the end of the meat counter where they put the beef that is approaching it's "sell by" date. Around here that's called "the green meat bin" but it's really fine.

For higher quality, I like Costco but that's an even longer drive for me.

In all fairness, both of my local butcher shops are nothing special and I've quit going there.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited July 2018
    Kroger's meat has always been Walmart quality as long as I can remember. Publix is the only good supermarket chain for meat IMO if I can't make it to Costco, Fresh Market or Whole Foods. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    SonVolt said:
    Kroger's meat has always been Walmart quality as long as I can remember. Publix is the only good supermarket chain for meat IMO if I can't make it to Costco, Fresh Market or Whole Foods. 
    I agree with that for the vast majority of folks on here who can’t get to a Wegmans.  

Wegmans is the best.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    SonVolt said:
    Ingles ain't bad. Laura Lynn will treat you right. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741

We need more options but the idiots that run our Chamber of Commerce feel that given its an affluent area we apparently need about 10 Car dealerships and 50 Nail Salons rather than any other decent grocery stores.
    Not trying to change the subject here, but exactly what kind of mob-style chamber of commerce exists in Rockwall?
    Stillwater, MN
  • TEXASBGE2018

We need more options but the idiots that run our Chamber of Commerce feel that given its an affluent area we apparently need about 10 Car dealerships and 50 Nail Salons rather than any other decent grocery stores.
    Not trying to change the subject here, but exactly what kind of mob-style chamber of commerce exists in Rockwall?
    Well when I worked for Coca Cola back in college the local kroger manager told the chamber of commerce that if they tried to bring another grocery chain in to compete kroger would pull their store and any future investment in the city. That was almost 15 years ago. The chamber for the most part complied. We have only added 1 more Kroger since then and a few years ago an Aldi. They just got approved for 1 more Aldi recently that’s being built and Kroger was pissed. They have refused to make any more investment going forward. Also instead of adding shopping that people want they keep building nail salons and car dealerships. No one wants them but because it’s a affluent area the city thinks nice car dealerships will make idiot rich people only buy cars out here which for the most part is true. They did the same with our movie theater. The local chain told them if they allowed anyone else to build another theater they would leave. These big businesses become cornerstone stores and then push the weak loser chamber to do what they say. Sorry don’t mean to get on a soap box. It’s just idiocy running things around here

• BGEChicago
    BGEChicago Posts: 574
    JRWhitee said:
    I agree 100%, I do Costco or Sprouts maybe a $1 or so more but much much better.

We do have a Sprouts somewhat close I may try them. I just cant buy $56 bucks worth of ground beef from Costco and then freeze it. I'm not a fan of how thawed frozen meats taste.
    Check your local butcher shop as well. Air chilled chickens are the best in my opinion. Look or ask for those. 
    +1 on the air chilled, we use Bell and Evans, pretty good stuff
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    How's the . 5" steaks? Asking for a friend. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323

The Michoacana Meat Markets are still around??

I thought they all would have been closed years ago since all their customers die from contaminated meat. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• TEXASBGE2018
    How's the . 5" steaks? Asking for a friend. 
    They are fanstinkintastic. Personally I like them smothered in A1. =)

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    Well when I worked for Coca Cola back in college the local kroger manager told the chamber of commerce that if they tried to bring another grocery chain in to compete kroger would pull their store and any future investment in the city. That was almost 15 years ago. The chamber for the most part complied. We have only added 1 more Kroger since then and a few years ago an Aldi. They just got approved for 1 more Aldi recently that’s being built and Kroger was pissed. They have refused to make any more investment going forward. Also instead of adding shopping that people want they keep building nail salons and car dealerships. No one wants them but because it’s a affluent area the city thinks nice car dealerships will make idiot rich people only buy cars out here which for the most part is true. They did the same with our movie theater. The local chain told them if they allowed anyone else to build another theater they would leave. These big businesses become cornerstone stores and then push the weak loser chamber to do what they say. Sorry don’t mean to get on a soap box. It’s just idiocy running things around here
    Aren't those decisions that should be made by elected members of the city council, town board or whichever body is sworn to make decisions? In most places, the chamber does little more than collect dues and approve which size scissors are used for the ribbon cutting.
    Stillwater, MN
  • TEXASBGE2018
    HeavyG said:

The Michoacana Meat Markets are still around??

I thought they all would have been closed years ago since all their customers die from contaminated meat. :)
    Hence why I wouldn’t step foot in one. I’ll never forget the one day I was in the back and a guy rolled in an entire cow carcass head and all. Cut the head off right there let it plop on the floor and then picked it up and wheeled it into the meat cutting area to break down. I still have nightmares about that giant whole cow carcass just sittin there with that head looking right at me.

• TEXASBGE2018
    Aren't those decisions that should be made by elected members of the city council, town board or whichever body is sworn to make decisions? In most places, the chamber does little more than collect dues and approve which size scissors are used for the ribbon cutting.
    Not so much out here. It’s almost the opposite. The P&Z guys and the chamber decide what is allowed and the city council shows up for the ground breaking and to cut the ribbon at the grand opening.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    SonVolt said:
    I don’t buy meat from Publix unless I have to. It always seems flavorless to me. I do Costco for most meats but sprouts is a local market that has great pre-made burgers and their brats are the best I have found.
  • Wolfie51sb
    Wolfie51sb Posts: 267
    In central Ohio, where I live, the meats the Kroger stores sell are butchered and packaged at a hub in Cincinnati. So if you want a special (or larger) order, or something actually cut to your specs, you are pretty much out of luck. Not to mention you have no idea how long the meat has been in Cincinnati before it got processed. I stopped buying meat at Kroger years ago. Giant Eagle does a great job in our area, but my guess is their stories aren’t located near you. They cut their meats every morning and actually know what they are doing. At our Kroger, the “butchers”do little more than stock the shelves and cases.

As a side rant, we also have stopped buying produce at Kroger. Too many instances of fruit going bad two days after bringing it home.

Basically all I do at Kroger now is buy pop/soda on sale and get prescriptions filled. For premature grumpiness, since you asked.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    Lived in Raleigh... Trader Joe’s, Harris teeter, food lion, Lowe’s foods (you can drink beer while you shop), Whole Foods, all the same driving distance... moved to ohio... Kroger. 
     Want q tip brand qtip well all they have is Kroger brand. Want fresh herbs like thyme or rosemary, forget it.   Cheese? Kroger brand that’s it 2lb block nothing bigger no tillamook nothing.
     I fell over laughing when I saw they were pulling out of the Raleigh market... nobody shops there if they have a choice!!
     Aldi is our only other option and it is nice, clean and good food but very basic selection.
     I can’t get excited about giant eagle last time I was there the check out line was 10 minutes.
      Honestly Harris teeter and visiting heb in Texas have ruined me.

Didn’t mean to pile on but I’m glad I got that off my chest ;-)
    South of Columbus, Ohio.