Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First True High-Heat Cook: The Tomahawk

SonVolt
SonVolt Posts: 3,314
edited July 2018 in EggHead Forum
Been slowly working my way up the temperate scale with my XL. Started with low 'n slow and then basic kettle-style lazy grillin' and thought it was finally time to jump head-first right in the deep end with a 2.5"  Prime bone-in Ribeye from Costco.  At $35 it's probably the most $ I've paid for a single steak.

Not your daddy's 1/2" Ribeye.. 

Baby for scale. I know it ain't peas 'n carrots, but one day baby... I promise. 

Salted it like you'd salt a sidewalk in February. Looks excessive but after 24 hour rest in the fridge osmosis happens and magic occurs. Pre-salting is, IMO, the single biggest way to improve your steak game. 

I threw some baby Yukon potatoes under the steak hoping they'd roast in the dripping beef fat - HUGE SUCCESS HERE. Amazing.  Otherwise a bland list of accompaniments. Didn't have a chance to hit up the market over the weekend so I cleared out the pantry with  some smoked sausage that had been in the fridge since the Clinton administration and some questionable quality corn still in the husk. Cherry Tomatoes are coming in strong right now so throw some on for good measure.  

Reverse seared with plate setter at 200F until the steak hit ~120F. 

Removed plate setter and opened her up for the sear. Forgot to sear along the edges... 

Generally I hate pre-cutting steak but was feeding more than one.... 

Surprised how well the potatoes roasted and browned at a low 200F. The beef fat really added a depth of flavor here. Will do again... topped with a yogurt/lemon juice/ground fennel. Try to use a cast iron pan but the weight sitting on the plate setter made me nervous. Switched to a deep dish pizza pan. 

Money shot #1

Money shot #2

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,871
    Nice!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Fantastic looking meal, you win 
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Looks good. Platesetter can handle the weight. I’ve had a cast iron Dutch oven full of chili sitting on mine multiple times. It didn’t break until I dropped it. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Fantastic!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Strong work bud!
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    jeffwit said:
    Looks good. Platesetter can handle the weight. I’ve had a cast iron Dutch oven full of chili sitting on mine multiple times. It didn’t break until I dropped it. 

That's good to know. Both the CI and Pizza pan were too tall so the grate was resting directly on top of the pan. That meant the plate setter was also supporting the weight of the entire cook which made me a little nervous.  
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave