Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fallen back in love with my immersion blender...

Options
vb4677
vb4677 Posts: 686
So, we were gifted one of these Braun immersion blenders as a wedding gift decades ago. And I just made a gochujang marinade tonight to put on a rack of ribs for the eve of the Fourth and I happened to remember it was in one of the bottom drawers. That gochujang is thick stuff and I wasn't really wanting to "whisk" it by hand... 

OMG did it do such a fantastic job. I'm now googling other sauces/marinades that I could use it on!  Why have I not used this contraption before?!!!?!?!!?!????!

I've done fairly decent job at cooking proteins on the LBGE, but not so much on the sauce side of things... this may be a new plateau for me...

Just sayin'... @RRP mayhaps you should try this one...
Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...

Comments

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    Love my immersion blender - smoothies almost every day.  Easy to make and so good.

Signal Mountain, TN
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Any time I can find an excuse not to get the food processor or blender out is a win. 

Its the tool you never even knew you needed. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I have a Waring immersion blender, It's mediocre at best. It has a seized bearing that has to be freed up before each use. It was supposed to be commercial quality, but I never really liked it from the start. It seemed like the RPM was too slow for really effective blending.
    I need to look into getting a new, better quality one.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Also useful for a D&E
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I use them for bisques, which is a soup I love to make.
    Options
    Last time I checked, there was still only ONE IB on the market that used rechargeable batteries, and it was over $300!!  
    This is ridiculous.  This tool is made for cordless (low wattage requirements, keep any electrical cord away from stove burners, etc) yet there's only one on the market.  There's a market gap that would be lucrative for someone....

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I've never used an immersion blender but they look cool on the cooking shows. 

Just curious, is there any advantage a IB has over a vitamix? (that's what I use for sauces)

Phoenix 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    blasting said:

Just curious, is there any advantage a IB has over a vitamix? (that's what I use for sauces)

Well, mainly you don't have to pour something out of a jar or pot into a blender to blend them.

However, if you need something really silky smooth an immersion blender may not be able to deliver.

I use mine most often to blend my tahini when the oil separates. My stick blender just barely fits in the jar opening so I do that rather than emptying/scraping the jar into my Blendtec just to have to put it all back in the jar.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    blasting said:

My Blend-Tec tends to be overkill for many things, and the jar is pretty hard to clean. And my wife really dislikes the loud sound.

So, for smaller quantities, an immersion blender is preferable. Also, If I just want to smooth out a soup w/o reducing everything, a few dips w. the stick works well.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    If you're up for a challenge, try this.  ;)
    https://youtu.be/-CVYVFj1vmQ
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Great kitchen tool, use it all the time. Last night, cauliflower mashed taters, creamy smooth in a minute or two, super easy clean up. Current model is a Kitchen Aid, 2 speed. Was under $40 at the local Wallyworld four or five years ago.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    edited July 2018
    Options
    blasting said:

I used a 4-cup mixing cup to make that gochujang sauce, the first cup and a half of apple cider vinegar was easy to measure!  Dumped everything else in and the IB worked wonders. No blender to clean!  Just rinsed off the IB and wiped it dry. Done.  Oh, and my sauce looked fantastic, too.
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...