Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Farm (and backyard) to table: First lamb. Not baaaaad.......

Options
2»

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@Sea2Ski Thanks again for the the tips.  I will add that to my homework.  Probably will pm you as it gets closer.

Phoenix 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    @20stone we are seriously considering doing that with S2. We have done that with a few hogs, but not sheep. I watched several videos of how to break down sheep, and sheep look a lot easier than hogs for charcuterie.  We will see when it comes time for S2 and what the weather is like.
    To me, just the slaughter, skinning and  evisceration is worth the $65.  So to get it cut as we did as well for that price as well, I think that was a great deal. But I do not know what they would charge for those three steps and give it back whole. Might have to ask them, then determine if it is worth it. 

Ever have lamb prosciutto?
    I think I am getting pulled into that rabbit hole......
    Just to add to your list of things to make out of S2... merguez sausage (@20stone could possibly be cajoled into parting with the recipe).

We used fat from our hogs, but sourced the lamb meat from Whole Foods (I think). We made 2 batches, and both turned out nicely.

As far as rabbit holes are concerned, I know a guy who can show you how its done :smiley:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    blasting said:
    @Sea2Ski I really appreciate the time spent responding.  I'm not sure I have an opportunity around me such as that, but I will be looking.  That doesn't sound bad at all price wise, and I love the whole animal concept straight from the farm.
    Brother would that not be sage fed Lamb in your case? I do't recall seeing grass out your way. ;)
    Robin, Robin, Robin.....  what am I going to do with you? 
    @blasting lives in Arizona.....they don't do grass out there.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    $100 seems like a steal to me. Around here, the stores that sell locally raised lamb sell ground lamb at $8/lb. A rack of lamb is $$ that its a 1 time/year purchase.

Where I live, its OK now to keep poultry. To bad sheep aren't allowed, as there are quite a few empty lots that could be used for grazing, and keep down the ground hogs, rabbits, and racoons.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    blasting said:

@Sea2Ski Thanks again for the the tips.  I will add that to my homework.  Probably will pm you as it gets closer.

I would also add this to the list:
    https://www.amazon.com/Butchering-Poultry-Rabbit-Lamb-Goat/dp/1612121829/

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • BigGreenBean
    BigGreenBean Posts: 117
    Options
    @Sea2Ski:  What an excellent thread!  Can I come spend the summer with you?  That said, I find the granular cost discussion unnecessary. If you're going @Sea2Ski's route, it's about quality and the provenance of the animal.  If you're counting ten dollar bills in such an endeavor, I'm pretty sure you're not on that level.  You're playing chess, brother, where the rest of us are playing checkers.  FYI, wife's family is in Somers Point, NJ, not far from your playgrounds.  Enjoy that lamb!
    Virginia Beach, VA