Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

“introducing EGGspander”

Options
13»

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    The "EGGfringer"

My BGE called yesterday to chat and was hyping it......I told him we will NOT be carrying this knock off in our store.
    That is AWESOME!
    I was going to be an $ss and wonder; if BGE agreed to use Rockwood as their exclusive supplier of BGE lump would the above statement change. 

However, I am not an $ss and Rockwood is my favorite lump. I need to order a few more bags soon.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Ban me.  Ridiculous hijack/steal from Tom. Number 4 will be Red.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    bgebrent said:

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    bgebrent said:

Can’t stop laughing.  It’s really easy butt few get it.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    When's the last time you called BGE (or BGE dealer), and they tried to talk you down from spending some $$? Because they wanted you to be happy and satisfied with the product, instead of just taking your money and calling it done?

Many here know, from personal experience, that @tjv has never been one to just make a quick buck. Quality guy/company making quality products. 

Modifications are one thing, ripoffs are... despicable. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    This should surprise no one. They did steal the kamado after all. The company was founded on the concept of ripping ideas from others. 
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2018
    Options
    This should surprise no one. They did steal the kamado after all. The company was founded on the concept of ripping ideas from others. 

How does one "steal a kamado"? Isn't that like stealing an oven, or grill, or offset smoker? They all look and function more or less identical. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    My only regret is that I didn't buy the PSWoo and extender earlier than I did. Great product.
    Stillwater, MN
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Not really the same.....No one on record had "invented" the kamado nor had a patent on it.  BGE was the first to make it out of ceramic and is the one that really popularized it.  So, it's not really the same thing.  BGE was quite unique to the other ones out there at the time (from what I've seen at least.)

• bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    Options
    SonVolt said:

How does one "steal a kamado"? Isn't that like stealing an oven, or grill, or offset smoker? They all look and function more or less identical. 
    I agree.  Did Nike steal or rip off the original makers of shoes?  The market is full of copies and products that vary slightly. Did Dizzy Pig rip off a seasoning from the first person to make that seasoning?  No. They make it theirs and stand by their product. If you truly want to help the ceramic grill store, keep buying from them. Tell your dealer to stock them. Tell people that buy BGEs to look at their product because it is better. Every market has small specialized makers of components that survive because their product is better and eventually people realize that and will pay more for that quality. The mountain biking world is full of copies and rip offs. The small makers of high quality components stay around and do well because people know the quality is off the charts. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • CarolinaCrazy
    CarolinaCrazy Posts: 585
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    BGE probably made a conscious decision based on the assumption that they’d make much more money making their own then they’d have to spend in a potential lawsuit with ceramic grill store 

BGE probably made a conscious decision based on the assumption that they’d make much more money (outsourcing to china) then they’d have to spend in a potential lawsuit with ceramic grill store 

agree. BGE knows the market and the competition - both KJ and CGS. They probably also know the intellectual property issues, at least for patents granted...there could be some applications in that they aren't aware of. They've taken a calculated risk that their design is novel and not obvious, and thus not any type of IP infringement.

If they thought it was such a great idea but that they would infringe on the IP, they could have considered licensing it from CGS. 

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    So all this back and forth and no one has said how many greenbacks this great, new technology will be.   I am just curious more than anything....
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • SonVolt
    Options
    It doesn't even say which sizes it's for. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    bo31210 said:
    So all this back and forth and no one has said how many greenbacks this great, new technology will be.   I am just curious more than anything....
    It's $159.95 for the whole setup.  Made in China I believe (the new modular nest, minimax portable nest, cast iron skillets, dutch ovens, IntEGGrated nest, etc is all made in China too.....so I'm assuming this is too.)

$93 right now from Tom for the original and it's all made right there in his shop:  https://ceramicgrillstore.com/products/large-pswoo2-bge?variant=13968599515194

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Not to mention he will show you all the different ways to use it and will actually talk with you and sell you what you need and not oversell you.  

Little Rock, AR

• SonVolt
    Options
    In that case, if I ever want to jury-rig my BGE I'll be purchasing from Tom. Maybe Tom should start his own Kamado company also.... 
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    I am very familiar with Tom's product as I had an AR with my LBGE which I sold with my house last month.  Was more curious how corp BGE was going to price it to maximize revenue.   Now I know LOL
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    In that case, if I ever want to jury-rig my BGE I'll be purchasing from Tom. Maybe Tom should start his own Kamado company also.... 
    Not to mention he is an active member here and just a good guy all the way around.  

Little Rock, AR

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I need to order a stone for my minimax spider.  Thanks for the reminder!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Markarm4119
    Markarm4119 Posts: 526
    Options
    Everybody wants to invent a better mousetrap, which has benefited us all in one capacity or another. I love my PSWOO from CGS, and will buy other things from them as well. Everything is pretty much a ripoff of something else.
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.