Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

“introducing EGGspander”

Options
greetings friends,

just got this in the email...

http://biggreenegg.com/whats-hot-0618/

The EGGspander..

is it a woo? 

8-Damien

Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    greetings friends,

just got this in the email...

http://biggreenegg.com/whats-hot-0618/

The EGGspander..

is it a woo? 

8-Damien

It's a carbon copy of one...
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    This gadget looks oddly familiar :pensive:
    @tjv
    #justsayingisall
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited June 2018
    Options
    If BGE is comfortable ripping off others I'll have no problem telling people to buy red kamados...

What a slap in the face for the CGS. I've bleed green for the last 8+ years. This is just a low blow. I lost a lot of respect for BGE. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Can someone explain how you're supposed to flip those fried eggs there underneath them biscuits? If they're going to produce marketing materials, they should at least use scenarios that actually work in real life. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Can someone explain how you're supposed to flip those fried eggs there underneath them biscuits? If they're going to produce marketing materials, they should at least use scenarios that actually work in real life. 

Very ridiculous staged photo. But some idiot will think it's a live cook.
    No sign of the round silicon egg rings that were used or heat gloves needed to handle the racks and stone.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    What a ripoff. This is low BGE, very low. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Anyone know what they are charging for this knock-off??  Obviously they have very little R&D in it.

I’m a little surprised their new cap doesn’t have a cone lid on it!!
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    I have the original - an AR combo with spider. I don't like copy cats....
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    I’m a little surprised their new cap doesn’t have a cone lid on it!!
    You know how you see commercials that say "batteries sold separately"
    Well....wait for it... the cap will be an add-on aka sold separately.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SonVolt
    Options
    I love copy cats as long as the quality is equal and the price is less. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Patronage is earned. Stealing intellectual property and stamping your logo & calling it a  different name is still dirty.  Red is looking better each day especially when it comes to innovation.  They also apparently listen to their customer base and apply that in R&D.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Maybe BGE didn't know about Tom, and some intern submitted it as her idea?

Btw, plan to keep buying from Tom.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options

Uhh...no.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    In before it is sunk!
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options

Yeah, I'm sure that's what happened....................   

Little Rock, AR

• SonVolt
    Options
    Patronage is earned. Stealing intellectual property and stamping your logo & calling it a  different name is still dirty.  Red is looking better each day especially when it comes to innovation.  They also apparently listen to their customer base and apply that in R&D.

That's not how capitalism works. Does "Tom" have a patent on his products? If so he's got nothing to worry about. 
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    SonVolt said:

Does "Tom" have a patent on his products? If so he's got nothing to worry about. 
    That's not particularly accurate.  Patent enforcement cases are very expensive to prosecute and unless you have specific policy from one of the 4 markets that offer the coverage you are 100% on your own as it not covered by any standard 'BOP' type policy.  Even if you have the coverage, it is reimbursement of expense basis, so you need to have a bit f depth to your pockets before you start.

IP lawyers don't work on a contingency only basis on small claims like this, as they'd rather get the $700 per hour
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    That's not how capitalism works. Does "Tom" have a patent on his products? If so he's got nothing to worry about. 
    Garsh.  I didn't know I could get such valuable information on the egghead forum.  Sorta sad for anybody that's spent money in a degree in business or business law...eyeroll...
    Apparently some lessons are unteachable.  

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    Options
    Just because you can, does not mean you should.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • SonVolt
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Garsh.  I didn't know I could get such valuable information on the egghead forum.  Sorta sad for anybody that's spent money in a degree in business or business law...eyeroll...
    Apparently some lessons are unteachable.  

Well I certainly don't have my undergrad in business, but if you do then I can't help but notice the irony of a business major poopooing market competition. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Are we sure this wasn't so much a knock on CGS as it was a blatant ripoff of KJ? These new additions look to me to be much more of a slap in their face than ripping on a relatively smaller aftermarket shop like CGS. I don't know enough of the background. Did KJ rip off CGS as well? 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @SonVolt Nope, I'm don't hold a business degree. I'm a regular Joe blue collar HVAC/R technician guy.  But, imho most entrepreneurs (& I know many of them) would lean hard that it's not cool to borrow, steal, etc another company's idea or invention.  I'm all for honest market competition.  It's a healthy and fair thing for businesses to have.
    It is no different to take somebody's invention and claim it as your own as it is to take someone's photograph of food and claim it as your own. I have only had to deal with this two times thus far. I know of several other people that have had this occur to as well. I believe @Griffin & @Dyal_SC may have had their photos lifted as well. :wink:
    Stealing is stealing.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SonVolt
    edited June 2018
    Options

Why? I remember this same "uproar" when MS released their own browser (IE) and killed NetScape. Does anyone really care now, 23 years later? Nope. 
  • SonVolt
    edited June 2018
    Options
    @SonVolt Nope, I'm don't hold a business degree. I'm a regular Joe blue collar HVAC/R technician guy.  But, imho most entrepreneurs (& I know many of them) would lean hard that it's not cool to borrow, steal, etc another company's idea or invention.  I'm all for honest market competition.  It's a healthy and fair thing for businesses to have.
    It is no different to take somebody's invention and claim it as your own as it is to take someone's photograph of food and claim it as your own. I have only had to deal with this two times thus far. I know of several other people that have had this occur to as well. I believe @Griffin & @Dyal_SC may have had their photos lifted as well. :wink:
    Stealing is stealing.

I understand what you're getting at... but how can you say you aren't cool with  stealing another company's ideas and then turn around and say "Red is looking better each day"?  KJ is essentially a rip-off of the BGE... 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    SonVolt said:

Why? I remember this same "uproar" when IE came out and killed NetScape. Does anyone really care now? Nope. 

Ask Queen how they feel about Vanilla Ice. Dude made millions of dollars and all he did was add 1 note to a song. Claimed it as his own.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited June 2018
    Options
    SonVolt said:

Why? I remember this same "uproar" when MS released their own browser (IE) and killed NetScape. Does anyone really care now, 23 years later? Nope. 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Microsoft_Corp.

And yes, I know that was monopoly, not patent, trademark, or copyright.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SonVolt
    edited June 2018
    Options
    SonVolt said:

Why? I remember this same "uproar" when IE came out and killed NetScape. Does anyone really care now? Nope. 

Ask Queen how they feel about Vanilla Ice. Dude made millions of dollars and all he did was add 1 note to a song. Claimed it as his own.

Not the best metaphor, but sure why not - I'll roll with that (in my 5.0). The surviving members of Queen are essentially British royalty and living a very posh life in Europe somewhere.  Last I checked in, Vanilla Ice was struggling to stay relevant on VH1's Surreal Life over a decade ago... by this point he's probably a waiting tables at Denny's. I'd say it all worked itself out.