Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dark cherry cola beef belly burnt ends

Options
2»

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    WOW!  :o

I can't say much else that hasn't already been said.  That was one fine cook.  I hope you shared it someone so they could enjoy the fruits of your labor.  I am now going to to have to find some beef belly so I can try out the burnt ends.  Living in Kansas City burnt ends are mainstay here.  I haven't been on here much lately and glad I checked out the forum today.  I look forward to you next cook and will be checking your website out more.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    Hey I know you!!   ;)  Long time no see!  Great post as always, @smokingal!   B)
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options
    Incredible looking effort and meal. Welcome back!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    hey @smokingal ! Long time no see. I remember you from back on that other forum we used to be on along with Craig. So you disappear on us and then come back swinging for the fences with this post? You sure knocked it out of the park. Simply amazing. Glad to have you back. I think everybody is going to need to step up their game now.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    Griffin said:
    hey @smokingal ! Long time no see. I remember you from back on that other forum we used to be on along with Craig. So you disappear on us and then come back swinging for the fences with this post? You sure knocked it out of the park. Simply amazing. Glad to have you back. I think everybody is going to need to step up their game now.
    Reunited and it feels so goood. Lol
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    @Dyal_SC @Griffin Hey guys, it's good to hear from you.  Good to see you are both still lurking around. It's been a minute but it's all coming back to me.  Got a freezer overfilled with meats, along with a list of new charcuterie, dinner and smoked dessert recipes to try out.

@Ladeback69 Hey, I'm a fellow KCMO native myself.  Oh man, I just had a vision of mutton ribs from Gate's, a brisket sandwich from LC's, and burnt ends from Jack Stack.  Oh, the memories. 
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    P I M P :bow:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    @smokingal, where are you now?  I have never had the mutton ribs before.  I need to get in to LC's.  Zarda was the winner this year for the BBQ restaurant in town and I guess their Q has gotten better.  Q39 is my current favorite.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • smokingal
    Options
    @Ladeback69 I'm in Western Georgia.  I only ever bought ice cream from Zarda.  I don't remember them having BBQ, but it's been a very long time since I've stepped inside one.  Never heard of Q39.
    Arteflame grill grate

• Ladeback69
    Options
    Q39 is one of the newer places to eat BBQ.  It is more upper scale restaurant, but still great food.  They have probably been around for the last 4 years or so.  Here is their website.   https://q39kc.com/

Kansas City, Mo.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    Options
    Mother of God that looks good!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • smokingal
    Options
    @Ladeback69 Yeah, I checked out their website after seeing your post.  I'll have to check it out the next time I'm in town.
    Arteflame grill grate

• Markarm4119
    Markarm4119 Posts: 526
    Options
    Wow, I don't ever think my skills will ever reach your level ! Simply awesome looking cook !
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Dang that looks good. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I’ve just been browsing all your threads and they are all just incredible in every aspect. I keep going back to this corn”polenta” bread you’ve made a couple times. One question I had was how much sweet potatoe you used? And did you use an extra stick of butter(the smoked butter)
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • smokingal
    Options
    @byrne092 I just used one potato and didn't measure.  It wasn't a big one.  I'd have to guess it was about one cup.
    Arteflame grill grate

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @smokingal
    I missed this when it was originally posted. Looking at the time stamp I was offshore at the time. However, I have seen it now. What a great post and some spectacular looking grub. Simply a phenomenal job all the way around. If ever a post deserved the Double Seal Of Approval, it’s this one without question or doubt. Great job my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• smokingal
    Options
    @SGH TYVM for your most gracious compliment.  Getting a chance to barbeque again after a 5 year hiatus had me going all out on that cook.  It's good to be back.
    Arteflame grill grate

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    smokingal said:
    @SGH TYVM for your most gracious compliment. 
    My pleasure my friend. 

Getting a chance to barbeque again after a 5 year hiatus had me going all out on that cook. 
    That would be terrible not getting to Q for 5 years. 

It's good to be back.
    It’s good to see you back and in action my friend. Keep it coming👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    very nice cook!  I'm totally intrigued by the deviled eggs . . . never had them made with sour cream, any details would be greatly appreciated 
    Thank You
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • smokingal
    Options
    @marysvilleksegghead There isn't too much to it.  I just substitute sour cream in lieu of mayo.  Honestly, leaving out the sweet relish is what makes the whole 'sour cream and chive' flavoring so noticable.  The flavor profile is quite different.
    Arteflame grill grate