Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ah rite you bread makers.....teach me something....

Options
northGAcock
northGAcock Posts: 15,164
edited June 2018 in Off Topic
I have been purchasing this Charcole bread from a baker (out of Hilton Head) for a while now. He is a regular at Soda City, a farmers market / art and other stuff set up on Main in Columbia on Satdy’s. The bread is made with Charcole and comes in a beautiful loaf. 

It has exceptional flavor and is complimented by some Kerrygold like no other. 

Anyone make this and have the no-how? Also if you havn’t.....you should learn. Dis $hit is good. 
Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
Run me out in the cold rain and snow

Comments

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Is it a Rye bread? Kinda looks like a dark rye which typically  gets its deep color from cocoa powder. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • northGAcock
    edited June 2018
    Options
    No....it is charcole which I see now an important detail I left out.

edit...I fixed that. 

• northGAcock
    Options
    Thanks Nola......a bit of a bump here as I had an incredible Bacon Lettece Tomatoe on this bread for lunch. Dukes Mayo and earloom  maters. For any who have made this bread, do you include the Charcole in the bread mix and coat it before baking? 

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    edited June 2018
    Options
    The loaf looks like the petrified head of a space alien, or a meteorite.  Just saying...
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Teefus said:
    The loaf looks like the petrified head of a space alien, or a meteorite.  Just saying...
    Exactly what I thought when seeing it. I’m sure it’s good; just look like something I’d find in the bottom of my bag of lump (or in Area 51)! 
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Teefus said:
    Exactly what I thought when seeing it. I’m sure it’s good; just look like something I’d find in the bottom of my bag of lump (or in Area 51)! 
    If you guys only knew. This is an awesome bread. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

I thought it looked like an overcooked chicken. Maybe one of the birds @Mickey's wings came from. :rofl:
    =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Actually, I like very dark bread. Just don't seem right to eat charcoal! :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,979
    Options
    Teefus said:

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Actually there are health benifits.......but in bread is not one of them. Helps digestion, eliminate gas and whiten teeth are a few. I stand by the great flavor in bread though. 

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Most of the claimed health benefits are questionable. Possible adverse health impacts. May actually prevent your body from accessing the nutrients in the bread made with charcoal. It is worth investigating for yourself and making your own decision on whether to use or not.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Most of the claimed health benefits are questionable. Possible adverse health impacts. May actually prevent your body from accessing the nutrients in the bread made with charcoal. It is worth investigating for yourself and making your own decision on whether to use or not.
    Ground up Rockwood lump is the healthiest thing on the planet. Ground up Royal Oak and (gasp!) Cowboy will kill you quick. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Apparently, since activated charcoal absorbs many things, eating it can negate the effects of certain prescription drugs. Including birth control (oops). I think there's a time element involved... i.e. don't eat charcoal within x hours of taking your med. Don't know if a slice of bread is gonna do it or if you'd have to eat the whole loaf for it to matter. If you're on anything, might wanna ask your doc before enjoying a nice lump of coal. =)

https://www.eater.com/2017/6/7/15750526/activated-charcoal-black-food-trend-nyc-ban

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Actually there are health benifits.......but in bread is not one of them. Helps digestion, eliminate gas and whiten teeth are a few. I stand by the great flavor in bread though. 
    From the article @lkapigian linked to:

"Active charcoal enjoys a very bad reputation as to its taste and I do not deny that it is so (although I have not tried it in those proportions). But in today´s recipe you will not notice difference in taste at all unlike any other sourdough bread."

I have no idea what recipe is used for the bread you bought but I'd be surprised if the addition of a few grams of charcoal has much impact on flavor.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• northGAcock
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    From the article @lkapigian linked to:

"Active charcoal enjoys a very bad reputation as to its taste and I do not deny that it is so (although I have not tried it in those proportions). But in today´s recipe you will not notice difference in taste at all unlike any other sourdough bread."

I have no idea what recipe is used for the bread you bought but I'd be surprised if the addition of a few grams of charcoal has much impact on flavor.

Sorry Heavy.....in this case it does. Adds just a little flavor and a lot of color.