Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Plate Short Ribs

Options
ColtsFan
ColtsFan Posts: 6,346
Got a hankering for some beef ribs while at the butcher this morning grabbing chicken for tomorrow. Brisket on a stick! 

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

Comments

• EggNashville
    EggNashville Posts: 243
    Options
    Nicely done fellas! 
  • dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    Options
    Wow. Nailed it. That fourth pic looks amazing! 

XL BGE
    MD
  • ColtsFan
    Options
    Skrullb said:
    Looks great. I did the same tonight!
    Looks great! 

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Great job!!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    ColtsFan do tell im thinking im going to make these today as well since I forgot to put the brisket on last night, or is it to late being its 7:00 and I have not even bought the protein yet. I never cooked these before so it will be a learning experience for me. If you think I can still do it today I would love to know the cook time, temp, method, and of course what you seasoned with. Ill be back home at 11:30 and plan on eating at 4:30 is that enough time to season and cook?
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • mlc2013
    Options
    by the way they look great
    Long Island NY    
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    mlc2013 said:
    ColtsFan do tell im thinking im going to make these today as well since I forgot to put the brisket on last night, or is it to late being its 7:00 and I have not even bought the protein yet. I never cooked these before so it will be a learning experience for me. If you think I can still do it today I would love to know the cook time, temp, method, and of course what you seasoned with. Ill be back home at 11:30 and plan on eating at 4:30 is that enough time to season and cook?
    Obviously not @ColtsFan and here is my ball-park take on the short ribs: cook (indirect) at around 250-270*F on the dome til they pass the tooth-pick test.  That generally takes about 5hrs +/- (so here you have an issue as your window is only that wide and that does not include getting the BGE up to temp).  I rub with worcestershire sauce and use Montreal Steak seasoning.  
    If you want to run this cook I would negotiate a later eat time (remove the finish-line stress) and enjoy it and the follow-on brisket on a stick.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • mlc2013
    Options
    lousubcap Challenge excepted thank you
    Long Island NY    
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    lousubcap said:

I rub with worcestershire sauce and use Montreal Steak seasoning.  

Frank....I am a big user of both. If you ask me, (which you clearly didn’t) it’s hard to beat Montreal on beef.

I hope ops all is well out your way!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    I guess Ill make some for dinner tonight. 
    Anyone done it with SV first and then grill. Advise? 

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• ColtsFan
    Options
    Yup @lousubcap is correct.

@mlc2013 250-275 dome indirect. Threw in a couple pecan chunks. I start probing around 195* until it probes like butter using a skewer.

Overall was a 6-6.5 hour cook as I waited on the last stubborn section to pass the test. 

Seasoning was the remnants of DP cowlick and hardcore carnivore mixed together....you know, got to make room! I have a package coming tomorrow :) 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options

Beautiful ribs.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • ColtsFan
    Options

Beautiful ribs.
    Thank you, sir. 

• booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Options
    mlc2013 said:
    lousubcap Challenge excepted thank you
    I'm going to try this today too in my MM without a woo - if Harris Teeter has the short ribs this morning.
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    You guys are killing me with those brisket sticks! 
  • booksw
    Options
    I am in the middle of lighting the MM- trying to be patient.  I added the soaked wood too soon and the little fire went out so now I am trying again.  We moved recently and my set up is temporarily on a stack of cinderblocks that some wasps decided to recently move into but I am going for it anyway!
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • mlc2013
    Options
    captains log 12:00 XL lit and protein loaded; this challenge is on

Long Island NY    
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    @mic2013 - Surely you are not bringing the protein up as the XL comes to temp... BTW- nice looking ribs.  Toothpick test for the win.  Enjoy the cook.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • mlc2013
    Options
    egg was sitting at 325 for 30 min im bringing the temp down with protein in it its at 300 now hopefully shell drop a little more shortly

Long Island NY    
  • booksw
    Options
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    I went to my Costco Friday, looking for beef ribs. Asked the butcher - no beef ribs, never at that store.  So, I grabbed one of these. 
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Man all these beef ribs look great. 

mlc2013
    said:
    egg was sitting at 325 for 30 min im bringing the temp down with protein in it its at 300 now hopefully shell drop a little more shortly

@mlc2013 with the short window I would just continue to cook around 300 myself. I would also have some foil ready in case a crutch is needed to push it over the finish line by 4:30. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• booksw
    Options
    I just realized all the different cuts of meat that are sold as beef short ribs.  I am smoking the wrong thing :)  Oh well, live and learn and it sure smells great!  I am also brining some South Carolina shrimp to put on the grill so we won't be hungry... 

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/grilled-shrimp-with-roasted-garlic-herb-sauce-105291

Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Well played and well plated.  Those look crazy good
  • booksw
    Options
    They've been on 3 hours at 225 dome temp.  Not quite done.  I was planning on 5-6 hrs when I didn't realize I had the wrong cut.  These short ribs are a lot smaller than the 'plate short ribs.'  The meat guys at my Harris Teeter are very knowlegable and I asked for 'beef short ribs'- they didn't ask me 'what kind?'  I wonder if its regional?  Smells so wonderful- the cook is worth it just for that smell.

Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • ColtsFan
    Options
    @booksw just ask for NAMP 123 cut. Every good butcher should know this. It will be a slab of 3-5 bones and yes, beef ribs are very confusing 

• booksw
    Options
    Thanks- next time.  I look forward to learning about them!  The short ribs I bought I bet are chuck.  I have made them before in a stew and they are delicious that way.  I'm sure they will be good smoked but now I have to try again with NAMP 123 if I can find it.  A goofed up cook on the egg is generally better than any cook off it so I'm here for the journey.  My clue was the way @mlc2013 set his meat up on his XL- those pieces had to be a lot bigger than mine that are set up on the MM!  I think @Skrullb used the same cut I am using and his turned out looking great!
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • mlc2013
    Options
    almost made the 4:30 eat but i pushed it back to 5:30 so pork and ribs have time to rest

Long Island NY    
  • booksw
    Options
    looks good @mlc2013 your cook looks so good!  No resting for me- I ate one of those little ribs right off the grill and it may have been the best (among the best) thing I ever made.  Bring the mistakes!  It sure does eat like brisket on a stick- maybe even burnt ends on a stick
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs