Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tragedy!!!

Options
Found one of the legs of my convEGGtor broken off and laying in the coals this morning.  I was doing wings last night, indirect, around 325-350.  I didn’t have the “convEGGtor” in the egg while it was coming up to temp, which I know can be an issue for higher temps, but I didn’t think that I’d have a problem with a lower temp like that.  It’s hot as heck here in TN, so it was probably already around 100 anyway, so the difference didn’t seem like it should be an issue.  I wrapped foil around the ceramic for the first time, wouldn’t imagine that had anything to do with it, would it?  Any thoughts?  Did I invite tragedy by not brining it to temp with the egg?  (For the record, best wings I’ve done so far, so not a total loss!)

Thanks for any input...

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Devastating!!
    Not sure how old the part in question is but may just be a defect.  Contact your dealer and they'll help get it replaced with warranty.
    Good luck!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Welcome to the forum first of all.  

It sounds like you put the convEggtor thingy in the Egg after the whole unit was up to temp.  Generally it's better to put it in much earlier and let the entire assembly come up.  All you're doing by delaying putting it in is to add a large thermal mass, which brings the temp down a bit.  You're also providing a bit of a thermal shock to your ceramic convEggtor which may have been the problem here.

In any case I wouldn't necessarily describe this as "user error" - probably the leg had some residual stress in it that ended up fracturing it with the application of the thermal gradient.  How old is it?  You can always try filing a warranty claim.   
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • TNSmokerTA
    Options
    I’m a relatively new BGEgger, got it for Fathers Day last year, so only a year old.  My first call, after soliciting the advice of the forum, is to the dealer where I purchased her last year.  The only thing I did different, besides holding it out until last minute, was removing it for the final 15 min of the cook as I wanted to get some flame on the wings for that char to the skin...I guess I could’ve stressed it as I was pulling it out, that was kind of a circus trick with a grate full of wings, but I sure do try and treat this whole thing with great care.  
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    I've had a leg broken on mine for a couple years, clean break, I just set the broken piece in place, the grate and protein hold it there ...i pretty much cook with mine in all the time whether hot and fast or low and slow 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options

that sucks but a good excuse to upgrade to an adjustable rig from the ceramic grill store.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    This is a claim I see no issue with taking a photo
    to your local dealer or confronting his rep at their Eggfest about. He would be happy to process the claim. There are no restrictions that I am aware of regarding any sort of thermo shock with warranted ceramic products. 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    to your local dealer or confronting his rep at their Eggfest about. He would be happy to process the claim. There are no restrictions that I am aware of regarding any sort of thermo shock with warranted ceramic products. 
    Isn't there a shorter warranty on accessories like the conveggtor (or whatever they named it)? 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Isn't there a shorter warranty on accessories like the conveggtor (or whatever they named it)? 
    It is my understanding that the plate setter is covered for 3 years. Fire box, dome and base is lifetime, as for the fire ring I don't know.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Been cooking with a platesetter missing a leg for years.  A brick placed in the firebox holds that side just fine.  The other PS has been crack across about 75% of the surface for years as well.  Don't hold it over my feet when transporting.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I kicked a leg off mine JB weld is good to like 600 degrees I believe. Mine held for years with JB weld before I sold the egg.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    When did the plate setter become the conveggtor?  I guess BGE wanted something they could trade mark?
  • TNSmokerTA
    Options
    Thanks for all the input, y’all.  I had a feeling it would be warrantied, will report back my findings.  
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    Thanks for all the input, y’all.  I had a feeling it would be warrantied, will report back my findings.  
    I lost the leg on my PS after about 3 years - mechanical failure, not User Error. Got a PS Woo and never looked back.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • TNSmokerTA
    Options
    I lost the leg on my PS after about 3 years - mechanical failure, not User Error. Got a PS Woo and never looked back.
    Interesting thought...got a warranty claim started, will see what shakes out with that, but I like the looks of that Woo...

Go Heels, btw...
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    Interesting thought...got a warranty claim started, will see what shakes out with that, but I like the looks of that Woo...

Go Heels, btw...
     Cut your other two legs off and you have a nice stone for your Woo.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin