Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - I’m done with Sous Vide

Options
124»

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @blind99 re: salmon what temp and times have you tried? 135F x 40mins , then quick sear in a pan usually does it for me. 

And you’re not alone as far as SV yogurt goes :) 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    When I was a kid I took a piano lesson. At the end of the lesson I couldn't play Chopin’s “Etude in G# minor, Op.25; No.6” so I quit. Stupid piano.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    When called to the carpet, always defer to Serious Eats, or Rose McGowan.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    It really depends on how the breast is going to be used.  Here's a pretty good guide:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-chicken-breast.html

But different people prefer different textures when it comes to chicken.  What I do isn't necessarily what everyone else will like.  That's why there's a lot of value in exploring on your own.  

Then some people just like dry chicken, because that's what they grew up eating, and the added value of SV is probably minimal.  Nothing wrong with that either.  Certain tastes are acquired.  

John, do you have an opinion to seasonings in the bag?  There is a school of thought that when you season in-bag, it is merely a surface treatment and only salt permeates the meat. 

I'm inclined to agree with the food science, but also sometimes feel that my SV food can come out bland.

http://www.genuineideas.com/ArticlesIndex/dye.html

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • johnnyp
    Options
    @nolaegghead same question ^^^
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    what temp and time for chicken thighs that will later get fried with breading. if theres one chicken dish i want to get right its a buffalo sauced fried chicken sandwich with thigh meat. most directions i see are for breast meat.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • johnnyp
    edited June 2018
    Options
    what temp and time for chicken thighs that will later get fried with breading. if theres one chicken dish i want to get right its a buffalo sauced fried chicken sandwich with thigh meat. most directions i see are for breast meat.

When you say later...how much later.

One of the cool things with SV protein is the ability for prolonged hold times.  If you process to pasteurization, you can shock cold and it will keep for a couple weeks in the fridge.  (as long as you don't open the bag and introduce outside pathogens)

Then, you can take an already-cooked chicken thigh, bread it, fry it to golden brown and be done.  This method doesn't require you worrying about the doneness of the chicken and the IT only needs to be mouth-hot for the eater's comfort.

Use this resource for pasteurization times.

http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Table_5.1

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2018
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    It really depends on how the breast is going to be used.  Here's a pretty good guide:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-chicken-breast.html

But different people prefer different textures when it comes to chicken.  What I do isn't necessarily what everyone else will like.  That's why there's a lot of value in exploring on your own.  

Then some people just like dry chicken, because that's what they grew up eating, and the added value of SV is probably minimal.  Nothing wrong with that either.  Certain tastes are acquired.  

John, do you have an opinion to seasonings in the bag?  There is a school of thought that when you season in-bag, it is merely a surface treatment and only salt permeates the meat. 

I'm inclined to agree with the food science, but also sometimes feel that my SV food can come out bland.

This is a misinterpretation of the findings. Yes, only salt works itself into the interior, but - whatever else you add is still flavoring the protein. Think of rubs... they're also just "surface treatments" but they provide a lot of flavor.  If I add a few sprigs of thyme or rosemary in the SV bag then there's a very pronounced thyme or rosemary flavor in the final product. Do I really care if it only permeated the meat by .0002 of an inch? I think a better interpretation of the food science is that, for example, a 24 hour marinade isn't going pack in more flavor than say a 1 hour marinade, except for the salt brine. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    johnnyp said:

One of the cool things with SV protein is the ability for prolonged hold times.  If you process to pasteurization, you can shock cold and it will keep for a couple weeks in the fridge.  (as long as you don't open the bag and introduce outside pathogens)

Then, you can take an already-cooked chicken thigh, bread it, fry it to golden brown and be done.  This method doesn't require you worrying about the doneness of the chicken and the IT only needs to be mouth-hot for the eater's comfort.

i havent zeroed in on the texture part with boneless thighs.  where im at is multiple bags loosely paked in one layer trying to keep them flat while in the water bag,  then an iced water bath to cool, then in the fridge for a day or two and fry. have seen a vid were the fridge part the thighs are additionally pressed between pans or plates. first couple of tries i just put them in the bag and they balled up, no good for the sandwich.  its texture that i dont have down, almost thinking i need to waste a pack of thighs and pull them out in intervals of hours to see where i need to be
    fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    johnnyp said:

I generally add seasoning in the bag, but I don’t think you get a whole lot of penetration like you would say with a long marinade.   Without any, however, I agree with you - it’s fairly bland.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • johnnyp
    Options

SonVolt said:
    johnnyp said:

This is a misinterpretation of the findings. Yes, only salt works itself into the interior, but - whatever else you add is still flavoring the protein. Think of rubs... they're also just "surface treatments" but they provide a lot of flavor.  If I add a few sprigs of thyme or rosemary in the SV bag then there's a very pronounced thyme or rosemary flavor in the final product. Do I really care if it only permeated the meat by .0002 of an inch? I think a better interpretation of the food science is that, for example, a 24 hour marinade isn't going pack in more flavor than say a 1 hour marinade, except for the salt brine. 

Perhaps I phrased my question wrong.   I'm not implying that seasoning your food doesn't provide value. 

Rather, I'm asking if anyone believes there is a discernable difference to seasoning in the bag, versus SVing the protein naked, then seasoning for the finishing phase of cooking. 

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Yes, there is a discernible difference. Try adding a few springs of rosemary to a steak with a small pat of butter. The Rosemary flavor will be much more pronounced than added after the fact, during basting or whatever. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @johnnyp I did this a few months ago to appease my curiosity. I cooked one pork tenderloin then seasoned and seared and one seasoned, cooked, seared. 

I used Mickeys coffee rub. The coffee flavor was way more intense when it sat in the Sous Vide. But, much saltier. Now I try to leave salt out of the bag. 

I also seasoned that brisket I tried your way before. Used DP Red Eye on it. After 3 days it was pretty intense. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    caliking said:
    @blind99 re: salmon what temp and times have you tried? 135F x 40mins , then quick sear in a pan usually does it for me. 

@caliking 120, per kenji/chefsteps.  Funny you say 135, that's the IT I go for when I do salmon, so I'll give it a whirl. 

We eat salmon about once a week. Season w raging river, flesh side down in cast iron, then flip and into the oven for about 15 minutes.  super easy.  or essentially same process on the egg minus the CI.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • caliking
    Options
    johnnyp said:

i havent zeroed in on the texture part with boneless thighs.  where im at is multiple bags loosely paked in one layer trying to keep them flat while in the water bag,  then an iced water bath to cool, then in the fridge for a day or two and fry. have seen a vid were the fridge part the thighs are additionally pressed between pans or plates. first couple of tries i just put them in the bag and they balled up, no good for the sandwich.  its texture that i dont have down, almost thinking i need to waste a pack of thighs and pull them out in intervals of hours to see where i need to be
    Try 160F x 2hrs as a starting point and go from there. If you’re experimenting with a whole pack maybe start at 150F x 1hr and try increasing time and temp going forward. 

Also, if keeping them flat is key, run bamboo skewers through the thighs. Clip the ends so just a bit of the skewer is left poking out of the meat. Should keep the bags from getting punctured, and the thighs should stay flat in the fridge. 

Get the oil up to 375F or even 400F before frying, depending on how many you’re frying at once. Lastly, double frying will make them much crunchier. 

• caliking
    Options

blind99 said:
    caliking said:

@caliking 120, per kenji/chefsteps.  Funny you say 135, that's the IT I go for when I do salmon, so I'll give it a whirl. 

We eat salmon about once a week. Season w raging river, flesh side down in cast iron, then flip and into the oven for about 15 minutes.  super easy.  or essentially same process on the egg minus the CI.
    You’ll probably like the higher SV temp then. I tried salmon at 120-125 and it didn’t do anything for me either. 

• fishlessman
    Options
    caliking said:
    johnnyp said:

Try 160F x 2hrs as a starting point and go from there. If you’re experimenting with a whole pack maybe start at 150F x 1hr and try increasing time and temp going forward. 

Also, if keeping them flat is key, run bamboo skewers through the thighs. Clip the ends so just a bit of the skewer is left poking out of the meat. Should keep the bags from getting punctured, and the thighs should stay flat in the fridge. 

Get the oil up to 375F or even 400F before frying, depending on how many you’re frying at once. Lastly, double frying will make them much crunchier. 
    sounds like a plan. maybe 160 x 2 and 4, and 170 x 2 and 4.    might put them on a double skewer and whack them with a frying pan too, they shorten and thicken a bit much in the sousvide.
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    @nolaegghead same question ^^^
    I don't salt pork, it gets weird, to me at least.  Salt on everything else, but not too much.  Seasoning is fine, but I'll always season after SV.  The aromatics can get dull in the bag.  I learned not to use fresh garlic, gets acrid.  Powdered is fine. 
    Options
    I'm not a huge SV fan but I won't ever go without a SV setup. There are very few things I make that I would put up against the professional chef. I'm a French toast connoisseur and I've never eaten as good of French toast as SV French toast...
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Fried eggs are the best from the SV 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    How is this a thing. Won't it cause cancer?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    I bought mine from BB&B. That’s prolly why I hate it. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    @DoubleEgger's skillset is limited.  Keep that in mind when contemplating this thread.  SV has it's place, a limited place in smoking/grilling.  I does have a place.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    I bought mine from BB&B. That’s prolly why I hate it. 

What bothers you more - grills sold at BB&B, or Sous Vide sold at Home Depot.  They both sell towels - crazy but true

Phoenix 
  • johnnyp
    Options
    bgebrent said:
     I does have a place.

Yes, yes you do

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Did you call Anova? Mine cracked so I called them and they sent me a new one and it wasn’t the WiFi one and they sent me another one now I have two.