Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Do you wear an Apron when you egg, work in your shop/garage, etc?

TEXASBGE2018
TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
edited June 2018 in Off Topic
I just saw someone mention in another thread they got an Apron for Fathers Day. I must admit for a long time I thought that is such a dorky gift but now as I am getting older I guess things that used to be "dorky" actually seem very appealing and useful. An Apron being one, especially for when I am using the Blackstone or doing woodwork or paint work in my garage. I've ruined about 4 nice t-shirts recently not thinking about it when I go out to use the egg or my Blackstone. Do any of you wear one? If so which one do you recommend. I am 6ft 1 if that matters at all.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

I bought a nice apron from Thermoworks.  I've hung it up in a convenient location so I don't even have to go to a drawer.  Did this about 1 1/2 yrs ago, and have not put it on a single time.  I still think it's a good idea though.

Phoenix 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    blasting said:

I bought a nice apron from Thermoworks.  I've hung it up in a convenient location so I don't even have to go to a drawer.  Did this about 1 1/2 yrs ago, and have not put it on a single time.  I still think it's a good idea though.

Did the same, still don't put it on.
    Explains the condition of many of my shirts.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    I got one at a work event where we all had to cook a "Team Meal"  I pull it out about 3x a year- Thanksgiving for sure and maybe for a pulled pork.

Really its the size of the cook that I end up getting stuff on me.

For work around the house I have an entire other set of clothes that are already covered in paint, grease, torn or ripped.  I learned this from an old painter one time- 1st the shirt is long sleeve for Sunday Church, 2nd long sleeve paint shirt, 3rd short sleeve paint shirt, finally cut off sleeves for yard work. 
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • I guess you are smart.  I didn’t know to capitalize apron.  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    I have few sets of coveralls for the messy paint/yard work etc.
    With the BGE I do cycle thru the same collection of grease-stained, ember burn holes etc T-shirts (and a couple of long sleeved for winter) when playing with fire.  I count on the FTC or some other concocted delay to enable a shower and clean clothes but I am well under a 50% hit rate with that plan.  FWIW-
    I do have two "trophy aprons" from some charity cooks in a previous life but they have never been worn since and are hanging on the back of a door to the basement.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Why did you flag my post?  Are you one of those libtard snowflakes?  LOL!
  • TEXASBGE2018
    I guess you are smart.  I didn’t know to capitalize apron.  
    Sorry let me rewrite my post so you short bus fellas can read it. I wunt an aprun cuz da is goood fur knot gettn fooos on ur shurtz. Go walk into oncoming traffic.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I have one. Think I've wore it three times. It would be handy if I put it on especially when I use the Blackstone. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    I just saw someone mention in another thread they got an Apron for Fathers Day. I must admit for a long time I thought that is such a dorky gift but now as I am getting older I guess things that used to be "dorky" actually seem very appealing and useful. An Apron being one, especially for when I am using the Blackstone or doing woodwork or paint work in my garage. I've ruined about 4 nice t-shirts recently not thinking about it when I go out to use the egg or my Blackstone. Do any of you wear one? If so which one do you recommend. I am 6ft 1 if that matters at all.
    That was me!  After ruining one too many t-shirts working on my mountain bike my wife got me an apron this year for Father’s Day, between grease and tire sealant I’ve done a number on my clothes.  I’ll see how much use it gets but it will definitely get used in the garage to hold tools and parts while I wrench and it was nice to have a pocket for my phone and remote temp device up front when I was wearing it Sunday.  It has a towel holder (or tongs, hammer, etc..) but I will probably end up using the apron itself as a towel when I need to wipe my hands.  Anyways, here’s a picture of it and only time will tell how I like it.

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2018
    I wear an apron every time I cook, inside the kitchen or outside on the grill. I worked in a restaurant long enough to develop a deep everlasting hated for that vaporized grease smell that once gets into your clothes never comes out. Try smelling a shirt you sautéed onions in the day before, or pan seared a steak. Yep, it stank. Not to mention stains.  Besides, Tony Soprano wore an apron... own that shiit. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    This went south quick. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    I have a couple and just always forget to put them on.   This is somewhat mitigated by my affinity for solid black shirts.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • TEXASBGE2018
    td66snrf said:
    This went south quick. 
    Hence why short bus was flagged.

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    I wear an apron almost always when cooking. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Only in my workshop. I have a leather one that I use when I'm sawing and sanding. Then when I am using my wood lathe I have a dense fabric of some sort which actually snaps high up on my neck so that along with a face shield my hair, face and shirt won't be covered with sawdust!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SonVolt said:
    I wear an apron every time I cook, inside the kitchen or outside on the grill. I worked in a restaurant long enough to develop a deep everlasting hated for that vaporized grease smell that once gets into your clothes never comes out. Try smelling a shirt you sautéed onions in the day before, or pan seared a steak. Yep, it stank. Not to mention stains.  Besides, Tony Soprano wore an apron... own that shiit. 
    I don't know if everyone looks to Tony Soprano for fashion tips. Remember when Johnny Sacks' boss, Carmine Lupertazzi told Tony about someone telling Carmine about going to a barbecue at Tony's house, Carmine said "a Don doesn't wear shorts."
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Haha. Best show of all time. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Seldom unless my clothes need protecting / dresses up for an upscale event. Usually gatherings at my place are about as casual as one can get. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I put on my protective gear.

Image result for daft punk

Yup, wear a nice Georgia Bulldogs one every time I’m on the Egg. Handy to throw my Thermopen and a rag in the pocket, and saves me from getting grease, ash, etc. on my clothes. Got tired of staining clothes and tired of changing just to grill.  

Folks make fun of me, but candidly, I couldn’t care less. 

Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    When I'm cooking/egging, I usually wear stuff that's ok to get dirty or greasy. I have the same apron that @Cornholio has, and I bought it because it has crossed straps at the back, instead of the usual over-the-head neck strap.

I've used it for eggfests, our hog ventures of yore, and when I cook something for a work lunch and don't want to get meat juice on my non-cooking clothes.

I also try to wear cotton when I'm bbq'ing, so that I don't end up burning holes in my clothes. Seems like its getting harder and harder to find cotton shirts. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    I go commando.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• I’ve bought the same brand that @caliking and @Cornholio have last week. (I ruined another $70 Polo cooking burgers on the Blackstone and the decision was made for me)

I spent a while looking and settled on this one. Hudson Goods deluxe apron. Its for welding. It’s awesome. You can leave your phone in the top pocket and never leave it sitting somewhere (take a call or have music all the time), there are places for two towels (one for food and one for a sweat towel)

I always have my Thermapen, extra nitrile gloves, container of Rub, whatever. 

I wont use it for every day cooks but if I’m doing a bunch of food or messy/oily food this is my new go to. 

As Cali pointed out, the straps on the shoulders is a game changer. This one has a clip in the back too (which is awesome since my shoulder is trashed)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    That thing looks awfully hot to wear in Middle Tennessee this time of year. 
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    I can't believe nobody has posted the photo of the "assless chaps" from a thread from a couple years ago. B)
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I’ve bought the same brand that @caliking and @Cornholio have last week. (I ruined another $70 Polo cooking burgers on the Blackstone and the decision was made for me)

I spent a while looking and settled on this one. Hudson Goods deluxe apron. Its for welding. It’s awesome. You can leave your phone in the top pocket and never leave it sitting somewhere (take a call or have music all the time), there are places for two towels (one for food and one for a sweat towel)

I always have my Thermapen, extra nitrile gloves, container of Rub, whatever. 

I wont use it for every day cooks but if I’m doing a bunch of food or messy/oily food this is my new go to. 

As Cali pointed out, the straps on the shoulders is a game changer. This one has a clip in the back too (which is awesome since my shoulder is trashed)

Just "iffin" a guy wanted to give his wife an idea for his up coming birthday gift could you post a link? You know...just "iffin"... =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bud812 said:
    I go commando.

Never fry naked. That’s Rule #1. 

@DoubleEgger I was prepared to return it the second I ordered it. That was my biggest concern. But I used it prepping and cooking that massive cook for my SIL for two days last weekend and it was actually surprisingly light. 90+ days. 10 hr cooks. Outside or in hot garage all day to include prep. Hardly noticed it. 

I think since its waxed coated It isn’t as clingy so it can get a breeze. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN