Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Shoulder or Brisket

Options
KGilma2018
KGilma2018 Posts: 120
I'm thinking about having a little party Saturday.  8-10 people probably.  I have a 9-10 lbs Shoulder and 9lbs Brisket in the freezer.  Which one should I cook and will it be enough for that many people?  
Franklin, TN

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    Why not cook both?

Definitely have enough pork and should have enough brisket as long as you have other sides and your not feeding the high school football team. If it were me I would do both as they both make great leftovers.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    edited June 2018
    Options
    ^^^^^^^this^^^^^ you have plenty and they both freeze well or your guests would be blessed to take you cook home
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    Have you cooked either before?  If yes go with whichever you like and or do both like others have said if you have an XL or L with a raised grid.  Having two large meats in a large egg will impact the cooking time from what you're used to on solo cooks. 

If you haven't done a brisket before and are planning to eat at a specific time doing both while doing your first brisket while trying to manage a deadline for being done is probably a little over ambitious 
  • KGilma2018
    Options
    I've only had the egg about a month.  I've cooked a small brisket, this would be the first pork shoulder.  It's a large egg btw.
    Franklin, TN
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2018
    Options
    That is gorgeous. How well can tile be expected to hold up in the elements? 

EDIT: Oops, wrong thread. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    In the words of the illustrious Dion Sanders “both”!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    Wherever you land start the fridge defrost now.  I'm guessing based on the brisket weight that it is a flat??  If you had success with your prior brisket cook then this one would be just scaled up recognizing the "friggin cow drives the cook. "
    The shoulder is a much less demanding cook. 
    Regarding quantity of food-for the pork figure about 50-60% yield from raw to cooked weight so 10 lbs raw will give you around 5- 6 lbs cooked.  Figure 1/2 lb /person you would have 10-12 servings.  You can use the same numbers with your brisket.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    That is gorgeous. How well can tile be expected to hold up in the elements? 

EDIT: Oops, wrong thread. 
    Ha, and I was looking for pictures of tile
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • KGilma2018
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Wherever you land start the fridge defrost now.  I'm guessing based on the brisket weight that it is a flat??  If you had success with your prior brisket cook then this one would be just scaled up recognizing the "friggin cow drives the cook. "
    The shoulder is a much less demanding cook. 
    Regarding quantity of food-for the pork figure about 50-60% yield from raw to cooked weight so 10 lbs raw will give you around 5- 6 lbs cooked.  Figure 1/2 lb /person you would have 10-12 servings.  You can use the same numbers with your brisket.  FWIW-
    I'm leaning towards the shoulder just because I haven't done one, yet.  My brisket was a success but I'd like to try something new.  I'm not opposed to doing both but I've only had the egg for a month and don't have all the accessories yet like a 2nd grid.  Could both fit side by side on a large?
    Franklin, TN
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    I am guessing based on the weights that you could likely get them both on one grid but you would have to do a lot of foil protecting as there would be a lot over-hanging your heat deflector.  The drip pan containment would present a bit of a challenge as well.  About the quickest way to a second level cook is to drink three aluminum canned beers and save the cans-then buy a 17" weber grid.  Place the cans on your BGE grid and the weber on top.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • KGilma2018
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I am guessing based on the weights that you could likely get them both on one grid but you would have to do a lot of foil protecting as there would be a lot over-hanging your heat deflector.  The drip pan containment would present a bit of a challenge as well.  About the quickest way to a second level cook is to drink three aluminum canned beers and save the cans-then buy a 17" weber grid.  Place the cans on your BGE grid and the weber on top.  FWIW-
    Thanks for the simple suggestion on the raised grid.  I will do that if I decide to make both.
    Franklin, TN
  • KGilma2018
    Options
    I've decided to go with just the shoulder.  I want to eat between 5-6pm.  I'm thinking if I get it on the egg by 6am at 250-275 I should be done around 3pm.  Then FTC until it's time to pull.  Sound good, or should I get it going earlier?
    Franklin, TN
  • KGilma2018
    Options
    Also, when I see people say 225 - 1.5-2hr or 1 hr @ 275 per pound, are they taking the stall into consideration too?  Now, I know those numbers are just estimates and every cook and egg will be a little different. Just curious.
    Franklin, TN
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    I've decided to go with just the shoulder.  I want to eat between 5-6pm.  I'm thinking if I get it on the egg by 6am at 250-275 I should be done around 3pm.  Then FTC until it's time to pull.  Sound good, or should I get it going earlier?
    I like your plan, wisdom over gambling. I would smoke at 272 and spray with apple cider vinegar / apple juice or hot sauce (I personally cold smoke whiskey or apple cider vinegar for use in my sprays) every 45 min for a spritz until IT reaches 160 and the bark looks amazing. Then I’d wrap it in butcher paper until down. 

Let rest for 30, wrap in foil and then FTC for a few hours befoe pulling and serving 
  • KGilma2018
    Options
    I like your plan, wisdom over gambling. I would smoke at 272 and spray with apple cider vinegar / apple juice or hot sauce (I personally cold smoke whiskey or apple cider vinegar for use in my sprays) every 45 min for a spritz until IT reaches 160 and the bark looks amazing. Then I’d wrap it in butcher paper until down. 

Let rest for 30, wrap in foil and then FTC for a few hours befoe pulling and serving 
    I like the 50/50 apple juice / vinegar and spray every hour or so.  
    Franklin, TN
  • unoriginalusername
    Options

I like the 50/50 apple juice / vinegar and spray every hour or so.  
    Good plan. For fun some time try cold smoking the spray for an added extra Smokey bark
  • KGilma2018
    Options
    I'm about 4 hours in and now the temp on the bone side has dropped from 152 to 139 (flame boss probe).  The other side with my maverick is still rising up to 158 now.   Any idea what's going on?   Did I hit the stall? 
    Franklin, TN
  • steel_egg
    steel_egg Posts: 295
    Options
    I'm about 4 hours in and now the temp on the bone side has dropped from 152 to 139 (flame boss probe).  The other side with my maverick is still rising up to 158 now.   Any idea what's going on?   Did I hit the stall? 
    Not sure if you are in the stall yet but I doubt it will be done by 3 if you’re on east coast time. I’d bump up to 300-325 to push thru the stall. I don’t the long drawn out low and slows anymore. No noticeable difference in my opinion.  FWIW. 
  • KGilma2018
    Options
    I think the probe may be bad.   It's keeps dropping.  Now its 122f.  Other one is up to 167.
    Franklin, TN
  • KGilma2018
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Put it on at 5am pulled it at 2:30pm.  The temp probe on the brand new FB is defective
    Franklin, TN
  • KGilma2018
    Options
    Not sure why this didn't work from my cell phone, lets try it again.  Put it on at 5am, and pulled it at 2:30.  The temp probe on the FB is defective.  I'm returning it today for a new one.  I pulled the pork at 200* then FTC until 5:30 when it was time to eat.  It was still 167* at that point.  The bone fell right out.  A kings Hawaiian bun, some homemade slaw, and a little Famous Dave's devil spit sauce, it was delicious!  Even though the FB probe was defective that thing is awesome.  I can't wait to use it again.  
    Franklin, TN