Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burnt up my Rutland Gasket

Any one have suggestions on something better/more durable?  Has anyone ever tried using just the adhesive to create the seal?  I’ve burned up everything I’ve tried.  Thanks 

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    I’m curious how you’ve burnt it up. Mines been three years going, with many nuclear oopses. Is it literally nothing? Leaking? Got some pics?
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Dude. 1, mad props. I hit at least one of mine with my MAPP torch on a bi weekly basis and it won’t die.  It’s beat up but it’s easily the best thing I’ve found out there. 

2 you may want to take a serious look at your alignment or application. Did you allow it to bunch up or did you stretch it thin? 

Are you losing heat/smoke or does it just look charred? 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Prepare for the wrath of @RRP.  I look forward to reading the "how" on this one as well. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Any one have suggestions on something better/more durable?  Has anyone ever tried using just the adhesive to create the seal?  I’ve burned up everything I’ve tried.  Thanks 
    1. Yes, you can make a seal/gasket using only permatex. 

2. www.traegergrills.com

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • vegas slim
    vegas slim Posts: 92
    still have the original felt seal or what is left of it and the egg is 12 years old
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
    edited June 2018
    caliking said:

2. www.traegergrills.com

It’s not Friday but here we go @caliking

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I know of nothing better than Rutland and Ultracopper. Mine has been there since 2009, to temps of...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    I have had a rutland for many years, its in good shape even with dome alignment issues and such.  

Do tell how you burned up a gasket made for extreme temperatures 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• from your last post it doesnt appear to be installed properly.
    XL, 2-Lg, Mini, 36" Blackstone (Formerly CM23)
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    What he said. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited June 2018
    thetrim said:
    Prepare for the wrath of @RRP.  I look forward to reading the "how" on this one as well. 
    Wrath??? 

:) unless I missed something in the OP comment I'm not sure why you directed this comment to me. At this point I don't even know who this guy is, but IF he even bought it from me then if he wishes to send me his name, address and date he bought it from me so I can confirm that I will gladly refund him his money! 

I make "Jack sh*t"  on this service now for 16 going on 17 years this Fall.

OPPPS...I guess if this reply post consisting of offering a FULL refund of his money IF he bought it from is wrath then so be it.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    RRP said:
    thetrim said:
    Wrath??? 

:) unless I missed something in the OP comment I'm not sure why you directed this comment to me. At this point I don't even know who this guy is, but IF he even bought it from me then if he wishes to send me his name, address and date he bought it from me so I can confirm that I will gladly refund him his money! 

OPPPS...I guess if this reply post consisting of offering a FULL refund of his money IF he bought it from is wrath then so be it.
    Question is how’s he burning them up?  Hard to comprehend.  Unless his troll account is Wes Johnson.  Everyone recognizes your non profit effort servicing this bunch of miscreants Ron. And thank you.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • So, upon further inspection, apparently it’s the adhesive that “failed” which caused the gasket to come loose in the back.  I went ahead & pulled it off & will try again.  I put this one on probably 2 years ago.  It happened during the cook below.  
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    RRP said:
    thetrim said:
    Wrath??? 

I don't think that the "Wrath" of @RRP was intended to be taken literally.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    caliking said:

2. www.traegergrills.com

It’s not Friday but here we go @caliking
    This is the alpha and omega of all time gifs.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Any one have suggestions on something better/more durable?  Has anyone ever tried using just the adhesive to create the seal?  I’ve burned up everything I’ve tried.  Thanks 
    Is your name Wes Johnson? If so I believe Ron would like to come over and inspect the gasket personally. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    I cooked a Rutland. It was on a cracked base that I am using as a fire pit. I bet I burned a half dozen truckloads of downed trees/limbs before it died. I tried to find the pic but I must have deleted it. 
  • thetrim

XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    What's a Rutland Gasket?
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • thetrim
    dmchicago said:
    What's a Rutland Gasket?
    Prepare to feel the wrath of @rrp
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2018
    thetrim said:

Back in the '90s you could slam a beer and drop a woman on national TV... wonder if that'll still fly in 2018. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    SonVolt said:
    thetrim said:

Back in the '90s you could slam a beer and drop a woman on national TV... wonder if that'll still fly in 2018. 

Nowadays they would claim a MeToo moment and sue Stone Cold for Millions.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    evie1370 said:
    SonVolt said:
    thetrim said:

It is now 2018, and some of us women can drop you and the beer. So there is that.
    Hahah, that’s true.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• SemolinaPilchard
    SemolinaPilchard Posts: 1,282
    edited June 2018
    SonVolt said:
    thetrim said:

Bill Clinton: 'Norms have changed' for what you can do to somebody against their will

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/11/politics/bill-clinton-al-franken-sexual-harassment/index.html