Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plant-based burgers.

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Every once in a while, I'll get a bacon veggie cheese burger. Always takes a while for the cashier to figure out how to ring it up :smiley:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • PoppasGrill
    PoppasGrill Posts: 355
    caliking said:
    Every once in a while, I'll get a bacon veggie cheese burger. Always takes a while for the cashier to figure out how to ring it up :smiley:
    That’s funny, I’m gonna order that next time I go to 5 guys burgers.
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,204
    What's next, meat based salad?
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    The Beyond Burger: pea protein isolate, expeller-pressed canola oil, refined coconut oil, water, yeast extract, maltodextrin, natural flavors, gum arabic, sunflower oil, salt, succinic acid, acetic acid, non-GMO modified food starch, cellulose from bamboo, methylcellulose, potato starch, beet juice extract (for color), ascorbic acid (to maintain color), annatto extract (for color), citrus fruit extract (to maintain quality), vegetable glycerin.
    that does seem an awfully long way to go to avoid eating meat, the more direct route is a few base 'veggie burger' components assembled together which is more fun, more whole & less expensive while losing all the stuff in that list that one might object to.  Black beans, as said, and brown rice (for cohesiveness) is all you need to get something that looks & holds together like a 'burger', from there add whatever you want for flavor and/or additional texture & you're done.  I'm partial to onions & mushrooms, sometimes diced beets, but the sky is the limit.  As someone also mentioned above, a portabella shroom on the grill all by itself makes a great alternate 'burger'.  I've also learned that condiments are critical, a good spicy mayo (sriracha, jerk...) goes a long way in making veggie burgers more interesting.

More importantly is when you're ready to shove it into your hole understand you're eating a veggie burger & not something that's going to, supposed to, or even can taste like meat as you will be disappointed making that mistake.  As far as the impossible burger that looks & tastes like meat I can't say, never had one, & they look disgusting so it's probably not gonna happen; if I'm going there why even bother with the imposter

What will they come up with next....?
    .Soy hotdogs and Tofu bacon.
    Yep.
    My son is anti-meat and most by-products, took us out to lunch at a vegan restaurant in Orlando. The only thing I had that tasted decent, IMO , was the pan fried potatoes. 
    And I won’t get started on the attitudes some of the patrons of this establishment, save that for another thread.

they do have those things already, kinda funky but I'd say of all the 'fake meat' offerings the bacon is surprisingly the closest thing to accurate but only when cooked until completely crunchy it'll mimic a similarly cooked to death piece of bacon (when added to a sandwich). 

I've been to a few vegan restaurants & they've done some simply amazing things that have blown me away, but I've also had some less than decent stuff too.  Really talented chefs can do wonders without meat/dairy when they put their minds to it.  I haven't cracked the code on how to do that at home & prolly never will either, but at this point I've become far less discerning in the kitchen, just trying to enjoy life & stay relatively healthy

happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Just to inject a bit of humorous nostalgia. Lived in a house w. a bunch ner' do-well guys. We ate lots of vegetarian, just 'cause we spent most of our money on booze, and couldn't afford much more than dog food. But one guy made this god-awful chili. Cooked it like 2 days in a cast iron skillet on low heat on an electric range. It achieved the consistency of asphalt, and he'd dip out a scoop every day for a week thereafter w/o refrigeration. He also kept on hand these cans of soy patties, brand name "Loma Linda." Gah, the open can smelled worse than when he was making the asphalt chili.

So one night, the poker game had gone on and on, 2 a.m., and I went down to the kitchen to see if I could convince those still hangin' out that those of us w. a job might like to get some sleep. Most left, but that left my house mate J, and a weight lifter, Big Al. They were famished. Was there any food? No, at least not any that hadn't been hidden by those like me who wanted something to eat bought and paid for. Except for the cans of Loma Linda "burger." So they opened one up, and tossed the mess into a skillet. A few sizzling minutes later, they sat down at opposite ends of the kitchen table, doused the stuff w. ketchup, and dug in. The look on their faces was worth the wait. It was like telepathy. They both spit back into their plates as one.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    gdenby said:
    Just to inject a bit of humorous nostalgia. Lived in a house w. a bunch ner' do-well guys. We ate lots of vegetarian, just 'cause we spent most of our money on booze, and couldn't afford much more than dog food. But one guy made this god-awful chili. Cooked it like 2 days in a cast iron skillet on low heat on an electric range. It achieved the consistency of asphalt, and he'd dip out a scoop every day for a week thereafter w/o refrigeration. He also kept on hand these cans of soy patties, brand name "Loma Linda." Gah, the open can smelled worse than when he was making the asphalt chili.

So one night, the poker game had gone on and on, 2 a.m., and I went down to the kitchen to see if I could convince those still hangin' out that those of us w. a job might like to get some sleep. Most left, but that left my house mate J, and a weight lifter, Big Al. They were famished. Was there any food? No, at least not any that hadn't been hidden by those like me who wanted something to eat bought and paid for. Except for the cans of Loma Linda "burger." So they opened one up, and tossed the mess into a skillet. A few sizzling minutes later, they sat down at opposite ends of the kitchen table, doused the stuff w. ketchup, and dug in. The look on their faces was worth the wait. It was like telepathy. They both spit back into their plates as one.

i used to eat stove top chili left on the stovetop for weeks as well =) not those patties though. the beauty of the chili is that it was all mine, no one ever sampled or even asked for some
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I'd never heard of an Impossible Burger until this thread. Did a little reading and apparently, in many ways, it's considerably LESS healthy than beef. Marginally more calories, total fat's a wash, but more than double the sat fat and nearly 8 times the sodium!! Beef does have dietary cholesterol, but I've read that that doesn't affect blood cholesterol as much as previously thought. Sat fat is the culprit there. Not sure what to believe any more.

Interestingly, the article listed nutritional values for 4 oz of beef, but only 3 oz for the IB. Were they trying to make it look like IB is not as bad as it is? I added the 4 oz values. 

Impossible Burger (3-oz. / 4-oz. patty)

Calories: 220 / 293

Total fat (g): 13 / 17.3

Saturated fat (g): 11 / 14.7  

Cholesterol (mg):  0

Sodium (mg): 470 / 627

Protein (g): 21 / 28

Iron (Daily Value %): 10% / 13.3%

--------------------------

85% lean beef (4-oz. patty)

Calories: 283

Total fat (g): 17.5

Saturated fat (g): 6.7

Cholesterol (mg): 100

Sodium (mg): 82

Protein (g): 29.4

Iron (Daily Value %): 16%

Here's the article if anyone cares to take a look.

https://www.mensjournal.com/food-drink/great-veggie-burgers-are-here-but-are-they-any-healthier-w449490/

Read another article that said Impossible Burgers had the taste and texture of ALPO. Not sure how one would know that!?

I gotta try black beans, rice and mushrooms. I know it won't be a burger, but it'll probably still be good.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    500 said:
    The “Impossible” Burger. Michael Symon now serves these in his B Spot Burger restaurants. 
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2014-11-06/the-impossible-burger-made-entirely-from-plants
     @500 I actually tried the Impossible burger this week.  I was very skeptical, especially when the waitress asked "how do you want that cooked? Medium,medium well, or well done?"   I was confused,  but got medium well.

You won't believe me, but this thing was awesome!   The Impossible burger is a mix of potatoes, veggies and something called "heme" that's the secret ingredient.

I honestly forgot that I wasn't eating beef.  Given that I ate half a brisket the night before, throwing these into the rotation isnt a bad thing.  Give it a shot!
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    I've mentioned these in previous threads like this one.

My sister is a vegan and she turned me onto these last summer. They're not available to the public as their products are just sold to commercial chefs/restaurants but the restaurant in our town that has these on their menu will sell patties to people. She bought me a few and I thought they were pretty damn good.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Zippylip
    I'd never heard of an Impossible Burger until this thread. Did a little reading and apparently, in many ways, it's considerably LESS healthy than beef.
    that doesn't surprise me, kind of reminiscent of that whole 'Snackwells' movement back in the days when low fat everything was the rage, yea they took the fat out but pumped it with more sugar & other crap.  In the end they sucked, and probably worse for you than a real cookie.  This is always the risk when we veer away from whole foods & try to trick ourselves into believing one thing is another in the name of health
    happy in the hut
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited June 2018
    Zippylip said:
    The Beyond Burger: pea protein isolate, expeller-pressed canola oil, refined coconut oil, water, yeast extract, maltodextrin, natural flavors, gum arabic, sunflower oil, salt, succinic acid, acetic acid, non-GMO modified food starch, cellulose from bamboo, methylcellulose, potato starch, beet juice extract (for color), ascorbic acid (to maintain color), annatto extract (for color), citrus fruit extract (to maintain quality), vegetable glycerin.
    that does seem an awfully long way to go to avoid eating meat, the more direct route is a few base 'veggie burger' components assembled together which is more fun, more whole & less expensive while losing all the stuff in that list that one might object to.  Black beans, as said, and brown rice (for cohesiveness) is all you need to get something that looks & holds together like a 'burger', from there add whatever you want for flavor and/or additional texture & you're done.  I'm partial to onions & mushrooms, sometimes diced beets, but the sky is the limit.  As someone also mentioned above, a portabella shroom on the grill all by itself makes a great alternate 'burger'.  I've also learned that condiments are critical, a good spicy mayo (sriracha, jerk...) goes a long way in making veggie burgers more interesting.

More importantly is when you're ready to shove it into your hole understand you're eating a veggie burger & not something that's going to, supposed to, or even can taste like meat as you will be disappointed making that mistake.  As far as the impossible burger that looks & tastes like meat I can't say, never had one, & they look disgusting so it's probably not gonna happen; if I'm going there why even bother with the imposter

Yep.
    My son is anti-meat and most by-products, took us out to lunch at a vegan restaurant in Orlando. The only thing I had that tasted decent, IMO , was the pan fried potatoes. 
    And I won’t get started on the attitudes some of the patrons of this establishment, save that for another thread.

they do have those things already, kinda funky but I'd say of all the 'fake meat' offerings the bacon is surprisingly the closest thing to accurate but only when cooked until completely crunchy it'll mimic a similarly cooked to death piece of bacon (when added to a sandwich). 

I've been to a few vegan restaurants & they've done some simply amazing things that have blown me away, but I've also had some less than decent stuff too.  Really talented chefs can do wonders without meat/dairy when they put their minds to it.  I haven't cracked the code on how to do that at home & prolly never will either, but at this point I've become far less discerning in the kitchen, just trying to enjoy life & stay relatively healthy

Well said- That was actually the point I was trying to make. Taking perfectly healthy ingredients and turning them in to a supposedly healthy "Franken-Burger" just to get close to a real burger is the opposite of eating "healthy". It's just as healthy as eating a half box of Snack Wells cookies and drinking diet coke. Or the dreaded Olestra lays chips from the early 2000's. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • HeavyG
    Most of the people that I know that eat veggie burgers aren't doing so with the notion that they are "healthier". They are doing so to avoid eating animals.

They're also not eating veggie burgers every day/week so the occasional  higher levels of stuff like sodium or saturated fat that some (but certainly not all) veggie burgers have really isn't a health issue.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    edited June 2018
    It tastes like a dirty ol’ tree branch...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TobvW77tuwQ
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Read none of this drivel. Never.  #realmeat
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    bgebrent said:
    So you could say meat free makes the dildos of the burger family?
    bgebrent said:
    So you could say meat free makes the dildos of the burger family?
    I’m confident I indeed said exactly that.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    In my journey through the webs, I found something that might interest the OP.
    http://www.biteandbooze.com/2018/04/jay-ds-bites-barbecue-buddha-bowl.html
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip said:

Yep.

Well said- That was actually the point I was trying to make. Taking perfectly healthy ingredients and turning them in to a supposedly healthy "Franken-Burger" just to get close to a real burger is the opposite of eating "healthy". It's just as healthy as eating a half box of Snack Wells cookies and drinking diet coke. Or the dreaded Olestra lays chips from the early 2000's. 
    "anal leakage" hahaha Christ that foulness was doomed before it hit the shelves.

The most current trend seems to be re-manufacturing/re-engineering food & chemicals in a way to mimic actual food sans gluten, that stuff is heinous.  For that tiny percentage of the population that is truly gluten intolerant I'm not sure what's so difficult about eating whole foods that naturally don't contain gluten.  Not saying that wouldn't suck but if that situation is involuntarily foisted upon you & your choices are eating real whole foods or this manufactured garbage why aggravate an already bad situation by voluntarily making an even worse choice...
    happy in the hut
    500 Posts: 3,177
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I've never understood folks who swear off eating meat,  but still want to eat stuff that looks and tastes like meat. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • HeavyG
    edited June 2018
    caliking said:
    I've never understood folks who swear off eating meat,  but still want to eat stuff that looks and tastes like meat. 
    All the vegans I know grew up eating meat and dairy. Some still occasionally miss the taste/texture/mouth feel of say, a burger. If they can (at least occasionally) realize/re-connect with those sensations with a product that is void of animals why wouldn't/shouldn't they?

On the other hand I imagine among the really hard core vegans that is probably the equivalent of the sin of lust. :)

• nolaegghead
    Vegans are vegans from some combination of morality, health or taste reasons.  I could imagine the third reason would preclude eating fake meat.
    What's the point? Isn't it a little hypocritical to be a vegan/vegetarian and eat food that emulates meat? If you want the taste and mouthfeel of meat...well that's what meat is.

It's like feminists wanting to act and function like men. Or people who want fake leather shoes that look and function just like real leather just to pat themselves on the back that they're not using leather. But the closer the fake stuff gets to looking and feeling like leather the more it increases the demand for real leather.
    Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
    Instagram
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited June 2018
    DWFII said:
    What's the point? Isn't it a little hypocritical to be a vegan/vegetarian and eat food that emulates meat? If you want the taste and mouthfeel of meat...well that's what meat is.

It's like feminists wanting to act and function like men. Or people who want fake leather shoes that look and function just like real leather just to pat themselves on the back that they're not using leather. But the closer the fake stuff gets to looking and feeling like leather the more it increases the demand for real leather.
    I take it you haven't tried making shoes/boots out of...
    pea protein isolate, expeller-pressed canola oil, refined coconut oil, water, yeast extract, maltodextrin, natural flavors, gum arabic, sunflower oil, salt, succinic acid, acetic acid, non-GMO modified food starch, cellulose from bamboo, methyl cellulose  potato starch, beet juice extract (for color), ascorbic acid (to maintain color), annatto extract (for color), citrus fruit extract (to maintain quality), vegetable glycerin? =)

BTW, your work looks mighty impressive on your Instagram link!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    How about some tasty all natural mixture of caffeic acid, chlorogenic acid, phaseolic acid, chicoric acid, isochlorogenic acid, luteolin-7-O-glucuronide, quercetin-3-O-glucuronide, quercetin-3-O-galactoside, quercetin-3-O-glucoside, and quercetin-3-O-(6″-malonyl)-glucoside?

Well, that's just 10 phenolic compounds that are found in iceberg lettuce.
    edited June 2018

BTW, your work looks mighty impressive on your Instagram link!
    Thank you.

As long as I can remember, what I call the "fractious crowd" has been trying to make faux leather that can look and feel and function like real leather. Hasn't happened yet, hasn't even really come close.

When you hunt the wild nauga you have to be prepared to come home empty handed.

Nauga burgers--the new soylent green.
    Instagram
  • nolaegghead
    @DWFII Very nice work (Instagram).  Wondering if you could steer me in the right direction.  I have some leathers that need alteration.  This is a protective suit that one wears when motorcycle racing, very thick leather, once piece, probably weighs 40 pounds.  Any idea on what kind of shop would tackle such a job?  I need the dimensions scaled down from a 6'3 250 pound person to a 6' 210 pound person.
    edited June 2018
    Thanks.

There are companies around that make motorcycle suits...from real leather. I used to know a fellow out of Laramie who became a multi-millionaire making Harley Davidson branded riding gear.

But in truth, while it's what we call an "allied Trade," it's not really the same. I don't keep up with or in touch with anyone who does that sort of thing.

I only mention it because I suspect that if you want the job done right that's the kind of shop you need to look for.
    Instagram