Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Maple-Bourbon SV Creme Pots

Options
JohnInCarolina
JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
edited June 2018 in Off Topic
If you've made any of these before - the chocolate ones or the salted caramel, the recipe is always a riff off the same three ingredients: heavy cream, egg yolks, and some kind of sweetener.  The only real difference is the proportions of each and the type of sweetener - whether it's chocolate or something else.  To make Maple-Bourbon ones, I riffed off the proportions and ingredients here:

https://www.tastingtable.com/cook/recipes/how-to-make-maple-pot-de-creme

I doubled the recipe to make ten 4oz pots.  I use the SV to firm things up, so I switch up the process and basically follow what I do for the chocolate pots.  You bring the heavy cream to a simmer, then remove it from the heat and whisk in the sugar and maple syrup, etc.  

As an additional twist I added in 4oz of bourbon at the end before transferring them to the pots to firm up in the SV.  Man does that make a difference here.  You get a very strong bourbon taste to these in the end product - it's probably more than the maple.  I think to twist this up one could boil off the alcohol first, but where's the fun in that?

I cooked them in the SV at 80C for 2.5 hrs.  

The bourbon-infused whipped cream at the end is a nice touch too.  Normally when you make whipped cream from scratch you add some sugar, but you probably don't need it here - the pots themselves are sweet enough.  Topped with a dusting of cocoa:

The consistency is once again closer to pudding than custard with these, much like the salted caramel versions.  I think the reason the chocolate pots are so dense is due to all the bittersweet chocolate.   Here the flavor comes from the maple syrup, and it's just nowhere near as dense.  They're also a little easier to make, because there's no breaking up of the chocolate or waiting for it to melt.  Tradeoffs, natch.  

Anyway, these were pretty awesome and I definitely recommend trying them.  
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @caliking already has a hard enough time keeping up with his pots de Creme and you went and added bourbon. 

Well. Played. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @caliking already has a hard enough time keeping up with his pots de Creme and you went and added bourbon. 

Well. Played. 
    I’ve heard that they have a tendency to disappear on him before he even has a chance to taste them.  Very strange.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

Well. Played. 
    I’ve heard that they have a tendency to disappear on him before he even has a chance to taste them.  Very strange.
    One of these would not be let out of my sight. Especially if @Killit_and_Grillit is in the same zip code. 

Will be trying these soon. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Sounds like another winner...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Leopoldstoch
    Leopoldstoch Posts: 1,182
    Options

Gonna have to make these with some bourbon barrel aged maple syrup!

Brandon - Ohio

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Very nice! Thanks for posting. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Nicely done ✅ sir!
    I’m keeping this one!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Looks very good.
    I've made the chocolate ones before. Mine turned out extremely dense. I think that I would prefer a lighter more creamy type.
    Does anyone have any ideas on making the texture lighter?

• jeffwit
    Options
    GregW said:

Does anyone have any ideas on making them less dense?

Education?
    Jefferson, GA
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    GregW said:

Does anyone have any ideas on making them less dense?

Education?

South of Nashville, TN

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    I am very, very interested in making these. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • JohnInCarolina
    edited June 2018
    Options
    GregW said:
    Looks very good.
    I've made the chocolate ones before. Mine turned out extremely dense. I think that I would prefer a lighter more creamy type.
    Does anyone have any ideas on making the texture lighter?

Swap out some of the bittersweet chocolate for something thinner, like say chocolate syrup.  I’d think that would get you part of the way there, but i’ve never tried it.
  • CarolinaCrazy
    CarolinaCrazy Posts: 585
    edited June 2018
    Options
    You had me at Bourbon....gonna have to try these next.

I agree the Chocolate ones are so dense because of the solid state of the chocolate when it cools. I've been experimenting with a Peanut Butter PdC, and have the same problem - by the time I add enough peanut butter to get the flavor up, they become very dense and no longer a nice custard. My latest batch used 1/4c peanut butter and1/4 c. of Frangelica. That is getting close - the hazelnut is enough of a nut flavor to boost the illusion of Peanut butter. 

I expect you could lighten the chocolate by using a good cocoa powder and more sugar? Or Chocolate syrup and some cocoa powder?

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

I agree the Chocolate ones are so dense because of the solid state of the chocolate when it cools. I've been experimenting with a Peanut Butter PdC, and have the same problem - by the time I add enough peanut butter to get the flavor up, they become very dense and no longer a nice custard. My latest batch used 1/4c peanut butter and1/4 c. of Frangelica. That is getting close - the hazelnut is enough of a nut flavor to boost the illusion of Peanut butter. 

I expect you could lighten the chocolate by using a good cocoa powder and more sugar? Or Chocolate syrup and some cocoa powder?

Yeah I suspect either of those would do it - definitely worth trying.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Just had a “leftover” one of these.  Damn they’re good.  Did I mention there’s bourbon in them?
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Nice work John.  These are in my future.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • jeffwit
    Options

How about peanut butter powder?
    Jefferson, GA
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    jeffwit said:

How about peanut butter powder?
    Didn't know there was such stuff, but will look for it. That might be the ticket, as long as it isn't to grainy.

• CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    Tried these last night. Simply Awesome.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    Use this for dusting? 

canuckland
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Bourbon.
    How can it not be absolutely killer?
    Beautiful work John, and thank you for sharing. I will be doing these soon.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Was going to make these today. I notice that you mention 80C for 2.5 hours while similar pots recipes on the Anova app call for only 45mins. They didn’t get too firm with 2.5hrs? 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Was going to make these today. I notice that you mention 80C for 2.5 hours while similar pots recipes on the Anova app call for only 45mins. They didn’t get too firm with 2.5hrs? 
    They did not.  I find that with pots that don’t use an ingredient that’s already fairly dense, like melted chocolate, that you need the longer time. Otherwise they tend to come out too much like pudding.  Good luck!
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Mmmmmm love the new bourbon spin.... looking forward to trying this!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,260
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Thanks for confirming. You are prompt!

Also, I was thinking I’d half the 4oz of bourbon you used and add it at the same point you did. The guests I’m having like bourbon, but I don’t want it to be overpowering relative to the maple. 

Thanks again. 

Edit: It just came to me. Rather than dust with cocoa, I will employ maple flakes for a sweet crunch. If you haven’t tried maple flakes, give them a try. I bet they’d be perfect for this application.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Thanks for confirming. You are prompt!

Also, I was thinking I’d half the 4oz of bourbon you used and add it at the same point you did. The guests I’m having like bourbon, but I don’t want it to be overpowering relative to the maple. 

Thanks again. 

Edit: It just came to me. Rather than dust with cocoa, I will employ maple flakes for a sweet crunch. If you haven’t tried maple flakes, give them a try. I bet they’d be perfect for this application.
    That all sounds great.

With the bourbon since it’s added at the end, you could just halve the batch before adding the alcohol to only one half and make some of the pots with and some without.  I’ve done that before with the chocolate pots because some friends can’t have alcohol period.  
  • caliking
    Options
    Finally got around to trying these!

Modified the recipe just a bit :
    (makes 5 x 4oz)

Cream.   1.5 cups
    Egg yolks    3
    Brown sugar 1 TBSP
    Maple syrup   2oz
    Bourbon       2oz
    Vanilla        1/2 tsp
    Salt, table     pinch
    cayenne        pinch

Whisk the egg yolks first, then add the rest. 

SV @ 176F x 2 hrs. 

These were awesome!! Possibly my favorite creme pots yet. I was shooting for a less dense pot, and not so sweet either. These were spot on , and will definitely be repeated. 

Gracias, John :)

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    caliking said:

(makes 5 x 4oz)

Cream.   1.5 cups
    Egg yolks    3
    Brown sugar 1 TBSP
    Maple syrup   2oz
    Bourbon       2oz
    Vanilla        1/2 tsp
    Salt, table     pinch
    cayenne        pinch

SV @ 176F x 2 hrs. 

These were awesome!! Possibly my favorite creme pots yet. I was shooting for a less dense pot, and not so sweet either. These were spot on , and will definitely be repeated. 

Hold up... you used TABLE SALT?!?!?  As in, the stuff right there, ON YOUR TABLE?

You disappoint me man.  Wasted talent.
  • caliking
    Options
    caliking said:

(makes 5 x 4oz)

Cream.   1.5 cups
    Egg yolks    3
    Brown sugar 1 TBSP
    Maple syrup   2oz
    Bourbon       2oz
    Vanilla        1/2 tsp
    Salt, table     pinch
    cayenne        pinch

SV @ 176F x 2 hrs. 

Hold up... you used TABLE SALT?!?!?  As in, the stuff right there, ON YOUR TABLE?

You disappoint me man.  Wasted talent.
    Well... I technically used counter salt. The stuff in the salt cellar, right there on the counter, next to the stove. 

If the salt is dissolving in something, table/counter salt gets the call. 

If salt crystals are  meant to hit your tongue first, then the flaky sea salt stuff comes out. Otherwise, I’m too lazy to pull out special salt from the pantry.