Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Cancer Sucks - OT

Options
Chris8938
Chris8938 Posts: 156
My mom was recently diagnosed with stage 4 abdominal cancer.  As you can imagine it is quite a blow, especially since my dad passed away in November.  

The chemo is taking its toll on her as she is not really eating much.  Looking for ideas for meals off the egg, or not egged.  She seems to do best with fish at this point.  She did say she would try some planked salmon.  I will try to keep it as neutral as possible smoke wise.  She has been enjoying cod the last couple of days.  I am way out of my element with seafood on the egg and would be eternally grateful for any advice.  

I have an instant pot, which I will be making some bone broth, chicken noodle soup, etc.  I have my Anova at my disposal as well.  So if anyone has any tried methods/recipes from similar situations that seemed to work well, I am up for anything at this point in time.  Thank you all for input.

Chris
XL BGE, Lg BGE, MiniMax BGE, Mini BGE

Appleton, WI 

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Sorry to hear this. 

Chemo takes quite a toll on the body, and taste buds as well. Ask your mom how her sense of taste is, then go from there. Smoke may or may not be her thing right now. Some folks prefer bland foods, others prefer more aggressively seasoned or spiced foods. 

If her appetite isn’t so great, she should ask her doctors about meds to stimulate her appetite. 

I wish her well. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    Sorry for your families run health issues.  Hopefully the chemo works and things turn around for your mom.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    Very sorry about your mom - and dad.  I’d try salmon, raised indirect, just on heavy duty aluminum foil - skip the plank to keep the smoke down.  God bless.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    You got two good pieces of advice from @caliking & @JohnEggGio right there.  I wish I had some IP wisdom for you, but I'm just learning on mine how to not burn water.

The first Mrs. Flintstone passed away from ovarian C.   She did not eat well at all while on chemo.  She was never a fan of fish, so I would grill chicken.  She preferred bland, but I have heard of those that like things spicier like caliking said.  As a change of pace, how about lobster?

Good luck, brother.  My heart and prayers go out to you.
    Flint, Michigan
  • vegas slim
    vegas slim Posts: 92
    Options
    thoughts and prayers to your family if she lives in a state where marijuana is leagl look into some edibles with cbd it can help with that along with nausea has no thc in it so there will be no high tell your mother to KICK CANCERS ASS
  • Navymom
    Navymom Posts: 167
    edited June 2018
    Options
    If smoke isn't agreeable to her you can do salmon in either the Instant Pot or using the Anova. Season as much or a little as needed.
    Sorry y'all are going through this, prayers for all.
    Wear maroon, live maroon, bleed maroon.
    Fightin' Texas Aggies Fly Navy.
    Denton TX
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    Sorry to hear this, a month ago my father in law went to the emergency room with abdominal pain and left with an aggressive form of liver cancer. It is sh!tty. 
    Much like your mom, my FIL can't eat hardly anything. What he will take a few bites of one day will be totally unappealing the next. He had lost close to 30 pounds so far. What he has been able to keep down when he will eat are bland foods. Grits, cucumbers etc...
    As VegasSlim mentioned above, CBD and THC oils have worked on occasion for pain and appetite, but a lot of the time he will throw it up before it had a chance to work. His oncologist highly suggested it, so if you live in an area that it is legal and accessible,  I would try it. 
    Best of luck to your mother and your family. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Really horrible news. Very sorry buddy.
    Might want to think about smoothies. Protein can be added. Hear patients at the hospital talk about it all the time.
    Vitaxix is running great prices on recertified units.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    So sorry to hear this.  I will be wishing your family all the best.

I haven’t been through chemo, but I have been on some very strong meds that impacted my appetite severely.  For me it was smoothies and milkshakes that worked best as mentioned by @Photo Egg.

Best of luck.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Our best to your mother.
    We have been cooking recently for a couple of families that continue the fight against Cancer. 
    I am in total agreement, it is an awful sentence to have to digest for all.
    It seems, brisket cooks worked the best for those we have tried to help. Burnt ends, chili, brisket for meals, sammies, tacos burritos have all done well. The sides we made were au gratin, bleu cheese Cole slaw and those seemed to be the faves.
    There is a lot of good information on this thread by those who know what they are doing.
    I am hopeful this will help and relieve some of the stress for you, and perhaps provide something comforting for your mother.
    Be strong.
    If we can help in any way you see possible, do not hesitate to let us know.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I know nothing about  abdominal cancer, but anything stage 4 is pretty bad. I don't know how she is absorbing protein, and have read malnutrition is a problem. Fish doesn't have much in the way of connective tissue, so perhaps that's why she likes it. Goes down easy, and breaks down easy. Make some bone broth/stock. Not hard, can have great flavor, and contains lots of gelatin protein, which would compliment what comes from the fish.

Your presence may be of a greater value to her than eating at this point. :(

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    gdenby said:

Your presence may be of a greater value to her than eating at this point. :(
    Very true
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas