Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best cheese on a burger?

Options
Terrebandit
Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
For the cheese burger lovers out there....We all work hard to make a great burger on our eggs, cast iron, or griddle tops.  What's the best cheese to put on that final product?  I've been using Kraft singles because they melt well and have a decent taste/texture.  There has got to be something better out there.  What do you use?
Dave - Austin, TX

Comments

• CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options
    Blue cheese for me, boars head chipotle Gouda is really good as well.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    Depends on my mood, but sharp cheddar always works.
    Stillwater, MN
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Cheddar /thread
    Mountain View, CA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Any good quality cheese. Some cold smoked Cabot’s aged white cheddar on a smash burger is my go to. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Kraft Deli Deluxe American.
    This is one application where cheap cheese just works, always has.  Mac n cheese is another American or Velveeta combo for the KO.  Clump free for me!

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Terrebandit said:  I've been using Kraft singles because they melt well and have a decent taste/texture.  

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2018
    Options
    American cheese. Period. End of thread. End of discussion, regardless of the black chick with Tourette's above. Not kraft singles, but sliced American cheese from the deli.  It's one of the few applications where this type of crappy cheese reigns supreme. Don't let anyone try and tell you cheddar or any other "real" cheese is better on a burger because it's not. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Lit
    Options
    Focker said:
    This is one application where cheap cheese just works, always has.  Mac n cheese is another American or Velveeta combo for the KO.  Clump free for me!

And that’s gross. 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Go to the deli counter at your grocery. Tip the guy/girl a $10. Then tell them you want a slice of every soft to semi soft cheese they have (on a 3) Every cheddar, gruyere, Gouda, Swiss, etc. Try the smoked, aged, and flavored. 

Sit. Eat. Youll quickly figure out what works for your taste buds and profile for the burger you’re making. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2018
    Options
    And he'll sit in that deli with his pinky in the air for 6 hours only to finally conclude that America cheese is the only cheese that belongs on a burger. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Why ruin a good burger with cheese? It is all about the meat!
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• Focker
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Lit said:
    Focker said:

And that’s gross. 
    Try it, on top of your ground SRF brisket smashburger on cheap bun, and report back. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Depends on the mood and the toppings. American cheese is perfect for the plain lettuce, tomato and onion. Smoked bleu for something a bit more exotic. We have a bleu Gouda local cheese that is awesome on a burger with caramelized onions and a good country Dijon. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Focker said:

Well- Focker and I have found common ground. I knew it was out there. Kraft singles for me 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I like just about every cheese out there. But on a burger I prefer white American, yellow American and Gouda in that order. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Lit
    Options
    Focker said:
    Lit said:
    Focker said:

And that’s gross. 
    Try it, on top of your ground SRF brisket burger on cheap bun, and report back. 
    We don’t eat that “cheese” anymore. I ate lots of kraft and velveeta in high school there’s just lots of better options. If I’m feeding a crowd I usually get the publix deli to slice up the land o lakes white American but there’s too many good cheese option s in my opinion to eat kraft or velveeta anymore. Not saying it tastes bad just not something I prefer to eat anymore. I won’t let my kids eat them. 
  • Focker
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Focker said:

Well- Focker and I have found common ground. I knew it was out there. Kraft singles for me 

Same goes for sausage, bacon, ham, or buckboard bacon "McMuffs" as my son and nephews call them, on the Blackstone.  American all day. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Smoked gruyere is excellent. 

• Focker
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Philly cheesesteaks are another American application.  I like a combo of yellow and white, onion, jalapenos over green pepper.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    On a burger, there is no substitute...
    Image result for kraft american cheese

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Wilma loves a shroom, onion & swiss burger.  I tend to prefer a traditional burger with pepper jack. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Think this is just available in the West, but a lot (to me) better than Kraft:

(especially on a green chile cheeseburger, of which I'm preparing to make tomorrow...)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

You guys are killing me with the fake / government cheese.  Just say no.

I like a cheese that I've smoked, just to add a little something something.  Anything really - gouda, havarti, sharp cheddar, or pepper jack all work.

I also like to stack a few jalapeno slices on the burger and melt the cheese over top of them. 

Phoenix 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Gubment cheese is not fake cheese, it might be blended and processed, but don't confuse it with "cheese product" which has vegetable oils and stuff that doesn't come from cows. 

Anyway, all that matters is taste as long as it melts into a pool of decadent goo...
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Gubment cheese is not fake cheese, it might be blended and processed, but don't confuse it with "cheese product" which has vegetable oils and stuff that doesn't come from cows. 

Anyway, all that matters is taste as long as it melts into a pool of decadent goo...

I didn't realize the distinction.  I'm not a fan of any of the heavily processed cheeses.  By the sounds of it, I'm outnumbered.  
    Phoenix 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Personally, I’m a big fan of strong flavours - extra old cheddar (cold smoked, when I’ve got it on hand), comté, grana padano, blue, etc. I choose the cheese as a function of my other chosen burger toppings. 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Havarti cheese for the win.... 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"