Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT...Insufferable evangelists...

Options
124»

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    billt01 said:
    Go ahead and blind fold me and give me a smoke...

While the egg is a good grill, its a mediocre smoker. A few of its limits are capacity and design to be a good BBQ smoker.

So, while I love my egg for pizza, burgers, steaks, fish.

My briskets, shoulders, picnics, chicken, and ribs are better off my Stumps.

Jack of all trades, master of none. Personally I'm enjoying the less overbearing smoke to my butts and briskets compared to my stick burner. 
    Master of some (it's a pretty damn good grill). I find my stick burner has a much softer smoke profile than my BGE. My egg tastes very sooty/hard smoke-ish compared to my KBQ on most low and slows. You can do serviceable bbq on a BGE for sure but the side-by-side comparison is pretty telling of what you are giving up for ease of use and sleep. Still a fair trade for me many times but I definitely can tell the difference. I would say you could make most people's "best ever" (insert low and slow cook here) on a BGE though. Not everyone is as nerdy as us. They just want good food, a couple of beers and a few laughs. That's a pretty good day for me too. 
    True words from a pro. Therefore:  Pro Tip. 
    Thank you brother CenTex. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    SonVolt said:
    billt01 said:

While the egg is a good grill, its a mediocre smoker. A few of its limits are capacity and design to be a good BBQ smoker.

Jack of all trades, master of none. Personally I'm enjoying the less overbearing smoke to my butts and briskets compared to my stick burner. 
    Master of some (it's a pretty damn good grill). I find my stick burner has a much softer smoke profile than my BGE. My egg tastes very sooty/hard smoke-ish compared to my KBQ on most low and slows. You can do serviceable bbq on a BGE for sure but the side-by-side comparison is pretty telling of what you are giving up for ease of use and sleep. Still a fair trade for me many times but I definitely can tell the difference. I would say you could make most people's "best ever" (insert low and slow cook here) on a BGE though. Not everyone is as nerdy as us. They just want good food, a couple of beers and a few laughs. That's a pretty good day for me too. 
    Just the tip?  ;)
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    SonVolt said:
    billt01 said:

Just the tip?  ;)
    What more could you want?  I suspect his tip is bigger than yours. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    I'm thinking if you can drop $28K on a grill... THAT makes you insufferable.

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    vb4677 said:

Jealous of the well-to-do?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    Nope.  Just being human...

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • PoppasGrill
    PoppasGrill Posts: 356
    Options
    DMW said:
    vb4677 said:

Jealous of the well-to-do?
    Yes, it took me months to finally drop the money on my mbge. I’m not living paycheck to paycheck anymore, but damn...
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Buy quality one time.  Kinda like the life-time purchase thread.  As @The Cen-Tex Smoker said so well, if you never ventured off the BGE outcome flavor profile you would exceed the great majority of food expectations.  (Now his "couple of beers" may be a bit short  ;)  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Buy quality one time.  Kinda like the life-time purchase thread.  As @The Cen-Tex Smoker said so well, if you never ventured off the BGE outcome flavor profile you would exceed the great majority of food expectations.  (Now his "couple of beers" may be a bit short  ;)  
    Buy quality one time whole heartedly agree. Majority of people I know spending 500$ on gassers every 3-5 years
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @Hans61 - I am one who cranked out some exceptional (to me) groceries on Weber rigs for several decades and always thought like the quality/price point was a great deal.  Matter of fact, a great entry point Q cooker and beyond.   (I was in the 15 -20 year life cycle for every kettle).  
    But I moved on- and many will or won't and that's their choice.  FWIW- I was giving the Weber Summit (more real estate than my LBGE) a very serious look until I decided to satisfy the "stick burner" itch and went a different direction.  
    As long as you are having fun with whatever rig you mess with, that's all that matters to me.  FWIW-
    BTW- I recall your father has a Summit and you speak highly of it for good reason.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    billt01 said:

Serious question. For hot and fast grilling, why is it any better than a Weber? Most of the photos & videos I see of people grilling steaks on a BGE are covered in flames. That to me is a big no no when searing meat. I want maximum heat without flare ups. I'll get around to doing high heat on my egg soon, I just bought it for low and slow smoking. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    SonVolt said:
    billt01 said:

Serious question. For hot and fast grilling, why is it any better than a Weber? Most of the photos & videos I see of people grilling steaks on a BGE are covered in flames. That to me is a big no no when searing meat. I want maximum heat without flare ups. I'll get around to doing high heat on my egg soon, I just bought it for low and slow smoking. 
    Didnt say it was better, just said it was a pretty damn good grill. I don’t get flare ups with steaks but do with burgers on any grill. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX