Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT...Insufferable evangelists...

Options

Comments

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    billt01 said:
    SonVolt said:
    billt01 said:
    Go ahead and blind fold me and give me a smoke...

While the egg is a good grill, its a mediocre smoker. A few of its limits are capacity and design to be a good BBQ smoker.

So, while I love my egg for pizza, burgers, steaks, fish.

My briskets, shoulders, picnics, chicken, and ribs are better off my Stumps.

Jack of all trades, master of none. Personally I'm enjoying the less overbearing smoke to my butts and briskets compared to my stick burner. 
    A Stumps is not a stick burner. 

Scanning this thread up and down and not seeing a single person claim a stump and stick burner are synonymous. What are you talking about?
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    billt01 said:
    SonVolt said:
    billt01 said:

While the egg is a good grill, its a mediocre smoker. A few of its limits are capacity and design to be a good BBQ smoker.

Jack of all trades, master of none. Personally I'm enjoying the less overbearing smoke to my butts and briskets compared to my stick burner. 

Scanning this thread up and down and not seeing a single person claim a stump and stick burner are synonymous. What are you talking about?
    Perhaps an oversight on my side. When you pulled my comment to quote on it, I believed it to be an insinuation which would be you preferred the egg to your stick burner. In so that I only mentioned two types of cookers in my statement, I took it that you were stating a Stumps was also a stick burner with your comment to my quote. It may have been more optimal to leave my quote away from your comment.

Unless, we are now contrasting 3 types of cookers which would be in addition to and be acceptable to quote on my comment.

Carry on...apologies 
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    billt01 said:
    SonVolt said:
    billt01 said:
    SonVolt said:
    billt01 said:

Perhaps an oversight on my side. When you pulled my comment to quote on it, I believed it to be an insinuation which would be you preferred the egg to your stick burner. In so that I only mentioned two types of cookers in my statement, I took it that you were stating a Stumps was also a stick burner with your comment to my quote. It may have been more optimal to leave my quote away from your comment.

Unless, we are now contrasting 3 types of cookers which would be in addition to and be acceptable to quote on my comment.

Carry on...apologies 

Wow. That's a lot of words for simply saying "we both got confused". =) I agree that the Egg isn't the number 1 on all things but it does everything well and some things better than almost any others. I am considering getting an Old Country "Pecos" Stick Burner to do my Low and Slows. Aaron Franklin mentioned to me that's what he uses at home and if that guy recommends something related to BBQ, I'm inclined to believe him.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    edited June 2018
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    caliking said:
     crank out Neapolitan-style pizza with the same cooker

Can someone provide video evidence of this? Sadly I've yet to see anyone cook a Neopolitan-style pizza in 90s seconds on a BGE where it actually looks like a legit Netopolitan pie. I've browsed through countless YouTube videos of people cooking pizza on their eggs and almost all of them look lousy and/or take 10+ minutes to bake. I haven't tackled pizza yet on mine, so hopefully someone will prove me wrong. 

The best I've found so far is this low-budget video made by a BBQ supply store. It at least cooked in 4 minutes and looked relatively ok. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NkbmHF8YRc
    was never the best at pizza making, but this was done at 1200 degrees in 53 seconds.  i made a round bottom heat deflector similar to a wok but heavier, filled it with sand, and placed the stone into the sand to keep the stone cooler than the dome. at 1200 dome you could see a blue flame hovering over the pie and shooting thru the dome. the deflector encouraged the flow of flame into the dome.  53 seconds included spinning the pie 180 degrees part way into the cook. i dont recommend this to the weak of heart, the dome bands get very loose at this heat and opening an egg at 1200 degrees is an experience few can handle. wish i did some with better hydrated doughs like everyone is doing now, this was simply store bought dough

not the best looking pie, my ingredients sucked back then

100_1536jpg

my setup but did not used the grid

100_1527jpg

do you have what it takes to open the dome =)

would really like one of those roccboxes, i dont think ive done pizza in 5/7 years now

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • billt01
    Options
    billt01 said:
    SonVolt said:
    billt01 said:
    SonVolt said:
    billt01 said:

Carry on...apologies 

Wow. That's a lot of words for simply saying "we both got confused". =) I agree that the Egg isn't the number 1 on all things but it does everything well and some things better than almost any others. I am considering getting an Old Country "Pecos" Stick Burner to do my Low and Slows. Aaron Franklin mentioned to me that's what he uses at home and if that guy recommends something related to BBQ, I'm inclined to believe him.
    Before pulling the trigger, research Stumps...

Stick burners are cool for ~ 2 years tops, or maybe it was me... the older I got, the more I liked sleep..

But if your Aaron Franklin, you can have your minions care for the fire...
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    SonVolt said:
    billt01 said:
    SonVolt said:
    billt01 said:

Carry on...apologies 

Before pulling the trigger, research Stumps...

Stick burners are cool for ~ 2 years tops, or maybe it was me... the older I got, the more I liked sleep..

But if your Aaron Franklin, you can have your minions care for the fire...

Will do. Thanks!

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    @fishlessman, I wondered if you'd chime in. You can keep your 1200° cooks, bud... 900 was more than enough for me! Is that the cook that caused this?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    caliking said:

Can someone provide video evidence of this? Sadly I've yet to see anyone cook a Neopolitan-style pizza in 90s seconds on a BGE where it actually looks like a legit Netopolitan pie. I've browsed through countless YouTube videos of people cooking pizza on their eggs and almost all of them look lousy and/or take 10+ minutes to bake. I haven't tackled pizza yet on mine, so hopefully someone will prove me wrong. 

The best I've found so far is this low-budget video made by a BBQ supply store. It at least cooked in 4 minutes and looked relatively ok. 

was never the best at pizza making, but this was done at 1200 degrees in 53 seconds.  i made a round bottom heat deflector similar to a wok but heavier, filled it with sand, and placed the stone into the sand to keep the stone cooler than the dome. at 1200 dome you could see a blue flame hovering over the pie and shooting thru the dome. the deflector encouraged the flow of flame into the dome.  53 seconds included spinning the pie 180 degrees part way into the cook. i dont recommend this to the weak of heart, the dome bands get very loose at this heat and opening an egg at 1200 degrees is an experience few can handle. wish i did some with better hydrated doughs like everyone is doing now, this was simply store bought dough

100_1536jpg

100_1527jpg

would really like one of those roccboxes, i dont think ive done pizza in 5/7 years now

Fish, buddy, this is by far one of the coolest things I’ve seen here in awhile.  Mad props for even attempting something like that.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SonVolt
    edited June 2018
    Options
    billt01 said:
    SonVolt said:
    billt01 said:
    SonVolt said:
    billt01 said:

Carry on...apologies 

No worries. I was only talking about the pros & cons of the BGE as a smoker compared to my 250 gallon stick burner.  I know it's not as "good" or heavy on the smoke flavor as a dedicated pit or stick burner but I've been pleased with the results. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • SonVolt
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    caliking said:

100_1536jpg

100_1527jpg

Your dough looks great! Ok, yeah I don't want to the high-heat jacking with my bands and what not. I think I'll leave NY/Neo style pizzas to my home oven until I get a dedicated pizza oven. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    You get 900F out of your oven? 
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I dont think the egg is great at pizza.  I get it, we cook with wood and it makes us feel like its a WFO, but its not.  I have done a ton of pies and tried everything to get the WFO pizza at home that I desired.  The best setup is on my old flat domed XL (before they made the dome taller) with an XL platesetter legs down, and another platesetter legs down (medium I think), and a pizza stone or two on top.  A long warm up to around 750 and this forces the dome to "charge up" more than the ceramic below where the pie will cook.  This bakes a good pie as the imbalance favors more of the top of the egg than the bottom.  And since the dome is essentially flat, the pizza is right under this charged up dome, giving the top of the pie to get done before the bottom burns up.  It similar in concept to what @fishlessman is doing with his setup.  Create enough of a barrier below to allow the top to get ahead of the bottom heat.  I abandoned all of my pizza cooking on the egg once I saw what my blackstone oven could do.  The egg cant touch it, and its super easy to use.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Forno Bravo will be the next addition for cooking pizza in my household.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fishlessman
    edited June 2018
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    caliking said:

100_1536jpg

100_1527jpg

Fish, buddy, this is by far one of the coolest things I’ve seen here in awhile.  Mad props for even attempting something like that.
    it creates a broiler in the egg, not sure the stone temp but the dome gets much hotter.  needs a band clip modification, the dome is teetering on tipping out with the thermal expansion on the band
    fukahwee maine

• DoubleEgger
    Options

You must really like pizza...
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    hahaha, cute. the other one, only 725°.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    hahaha, cute. the other one, only 725°.

That’s the closest I’ve seen to you egging something in 3.5 years. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    @fishlessman, I wondered if you'd chime in. You can keep your 1200° cooks, bud... 900 was more than enough for me! Is that the cook that caused this?

thats a small egg,  repeated freezing and thawing a wet egg may have caused that. never seen another egg do that
    fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Even the Pizza Porta guys cook at like 650 to 700.  The added value of going higher to get to true Neo-style pies comes at the sacrifice of burning through a ton of lump quickly.  It can be done, but it’s not clear to me that it’s really worth it if you plan on cooking that style regularly.
  • SonVolt
    edited June 2018
    Options
    So newb question here... sounds like high-temp burns through a lot lump really quickly. What about reverse sear where you bring the coals up to searing temps briefly at the end. Will that burn up all your lump too? 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    So newb question here... sounds like high-temp burns through a lot lump really quickly. What about reverse sear where you bring the coals up to searing temps briefly at the end. Will that burn up all your lump too? 
    No.  The problem with pizza is that it takes awhile to get the stone that high.  And then many folks cook more than one pizza.  With reverse sear on the grates the Egg is only at a really high temp for a few minutes.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    High temp cooks are relatively short so you aren’t burning a lot of lump. 
  • fishlessman
    Options

anthracite burns hot longer =);) not that i would know
    fukahwee maine

• billt01
    Options

Plutonium cook
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Nice.  Where did you get the Mozzarella di Bufala Campana?

BGEs don't have enough top heat that you'll find in a pizza oven because of the design.

whole foods has it. 
    I've bought buffalo mozz from them before but it wasn't the PDO Italian stuff that meets the TSG specs.
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I don't even bother looking for the good stuff anymore. Now I just brine Publix brand fresh mozz in warm salty milk. Totally transforms it. 

https://www.seriouseats.com/2012/04/the-food-lab-can-you-rescue-poorly-stored-mozzarella-cheese-refrigerate-or-no.html
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Nice.  Where did you get the Mozzarella di Bufala Campana?

BGEs don't have enough top heat that you'll find in a pizza oven because of the design.

Wegman's has Mozzarella di Bufala Campana D.O.P.. 

https://www.wegmans.com/products/cheese-shop/italian-cheeses/cheese/mozzarella-di-bufala-campana-dop.html

They aren't in LA, but mentioning it for those who do have a store.
    That's it.  And they do have it at Whole foods now.  My bad.
    edited June 2018
    Options
    The US doesn't respect EU food trademarks so you have to read the fine print on the container lest you get the fake stuff from Wisconsin or wherever.
    edited June 2018
    Options

You must really like pizza...
    Can do much more than pizza in one of those . Just ask @SciAggie

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited June 2018
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    caliking said:

100_1536jpg

100_1527jpg

it creates a broiler in the egg, not sure the stone temp but the dome gets much hotter.  needs a band clip modification, the dome is teetering on tipping out with the thermal expansion on the band
    Ha! If I see that coming out the top of my egg, I close the bottom slider and walk away. Pizza be damned!

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX