Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT...Insufferable evangelists...

Options

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2018
    Options
    3 minutes was the fastest I could achieve.  Wide open egg, launched pie when fully loaded lump was at its max, wrapped therm.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    @CarolinaQ & @Focker - those look much better than what I've seen on YouTube so far. 

Has anyone experimented using a baking steel set above to radiate more heat down onto the top of the pizza?  That's how the KettlePizza kit for the Weber works... curious if that would work similarly on an Egg. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    @CarolinaQ & @Focker - those look much better than what I've seen on YouTube so far. 

Has anyone experimented using a baking steel set above to radiate more heat down onto the top of the pizza?  That's how the KettlePizza kit for the Weber works... curious if that would work similarly on an Egg. 

There's a PizzaPorta rig you can buy that (I think) basically does this.  It's like $300, and even then they don't recommend using it at temps much over 600 (because you just run through the lump).  The guy running and selling them at the Ga Eggfest told me they were still Neapolitan pies at those temps, but.... no.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    You can't do legit Napoletana pizza on an egg. It's not a WFO and never will be. Wood Fired Ovens are completely different beasts. Flames licking the dome at 900-1000° and the burning coals right next to the pie. 

I've done a couple that came kinda sorta close, but 3-5 minutes, not 90 seconds! I don't do Margs often, these with other toppings have to do. =) This one was from August 2012 at 900° and by the time it got to 900, the lump was almost gone. Also, the bottom cooked faster and I actually had to pick up the pie and insert a small, unheated stone under it so the top could finish without burning the bottom. One of the best I've ever done, but playing around inside a 900° egg is an adventure. I don't do that any more. 

That looks really pretty good to me man.  Looks close to the pies that are coming out of the RB.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    The kettle pizza has actual flames. =)

I don't have a steel that fits my egg (yet), but I once tried an inverted 16" carbon steel wok above my raised 14" pizza stone on my large egg. Accomplished nothing.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SonVolt
    Options
    Interesting. I'll check it out. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    You can't do legit Napoletana pizza on an egg. It's not a WFO and never will be. Wood Fired Ovens are completely different beasts. Flames licking the dome at 900-1000° and the burning coals right next to the pie. 

I've done a couple that came kinda sorta close, but 3-5 minutes, not 90 seconds! I don't do Margs often, these with other toppings have to do. =) This one was from August 2012 at 900° and by the time it got to 900, the lump was almost gone. Also, the bottom cooked faster and I actually had to pick up the pie and insert a small, unheated stone under it so the top could finish without burning the bottom. One of the best I've ever done, but playing around inside a 900° egg is an adventure. I don't do that any more. 

That looks really pretty good to me man.  Looks close to the pies that are coming out of the RB.  
    Thanks. It was a very good pie, but I'm not thrilled with messing around with a 900° egg!

If anyone cares, I roasted a head of garlic, crushed it and mixed it with some standard white sauce. Then, sun dried tomatoes, shiitakes, pancetta, romano, cheddar, mozz and asiago. Delicious!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SonVolt
    edited June 2018
    Options
    The best grilled pizza I've made so far is Cook's Illustrated's clone of Al Forno's in Rhode Island, which par-grills the dough, tops, then returns to the grill briefly to melt the toppings.  It's certainly its own style, but it's amazing and doesn't suffer from all the trappings of trying to make a NY or Italian style pizza on a grill or egg. Not my photos..

• Carolina Q
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    The best grilled pizza I've made so far is Cook's Illustrated's clone of Al Forno's in Rhode Island, which par-grills the dough, tops, then returns to the grill briefly to melt the toppings.  It's certainly its own style, but it's amazing and doesn't suffer from all the trappings of trying to make a NY or Italian style pizza on a grill or egg. 

First time I ever tried pizza on the grill (Weber kettle), it was from a 1996  article in Fine Cooking magazine...
     Bought two wooden peels after reading this (which are the only peels I've ever owned). Made pizza once or twice this way, but I don't think I ever did again.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    Ye must be bathed in the Holy Smoke!
  • SonVolt
    Options
    Very cool. Love old magazines like that. You should give CI's version a try sometime. It uses a LOT more olive oil which really crisps up the crust. They've got the whole technique perfected.  I can paste it if interested since it's behind a firewall.  
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    Options
    Not to derail the pizza conversation, but I did enjoy the “coincidentally” placed Rolex ad beneath the blurb about the $30k Kalamazoo grills...

• Carolina Q
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Very cool. Love old magazines like that. You should give CI's version a try sometime. It uses a LOT more olive oil which really crisps up the crust. They've got the whole technique perfected.  I can paste it if interested since it's behind a firewall.  
    Thanks! Would love to check it out.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Yeah, it looks like we're in the season for these stupid puff piece articles.  I've read a few already.

I feel like challenging the authors to a cookoff.  Most members on the forum can out cook me, but I'll bet any one of us could shut down these "expert" authors.
    Phoenix 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I have to admit, the eggs are awesome. But this obsession has led me to collect several other types of grills as well. There are a lot of great cookers out there. The egg does a lot of things great, but it’s not the best at several. Can’t we just all agree that to be happy you need ten different grills on your patio? This is the story I tell my wife. It’s working. Or she’s just ignoring me now. 
    I only have like 6. Plus a griddle, a SV, a couple of induction eyes, a deep fryer....  

i DO NOT have a problem.  

Edit:  I may or may not have 3 SV units.  
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I have to admit, the eggs are awesome. But this obsession has led me to collect several other types of grills as well. There are a lot of great cookers out there. The egg does a lot of things great, but it’s not the best at several. Can’t we just all agree that to be happy you need ten different grills on your patio? This is the story I tell my wife. It’s working. Or she’s just ignoring me now. 
    I only have like 6. Plus a griddle, a SV, a couple of induction eyes, a deep fryer....  

i DO NOT have a problem.  

I have told myself not to post how many cookers I have online. It can be discovered later. But I will admit to having three SV devices as well.  =)
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options

i DO NOT have a problem.  

I have told myself not to post how many cookers I have online. It can be discovered later. But I will admit to having three SV devices as well.  =)
    I didn’t admit anything. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    While I agree that BGEs aren’t the best in every cooking category, they do so many things well that most folks don’t need anything else. 
  • cookingdude555
    Options

i DO NOT have a problem.  

I didn’t admit anything. 
    You’re right. I have one egg. That’s all. 
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    While I agree that BGEs aren’t the best in every cooking category, they do so many things well that most folks don’t need anything else. 
    This type of talk will not get you more cookers. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Lol. I’ve been downsizing. I gave away a couple of Blackstones and the infrared gasser is DOA in the garage needing a few parts. The Med and XL suit all of my needs based on my cooking style. I enjoy having the extra deck space. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Lol. I’ve been downsizing. I gave away a couple of Blackstones and the infrared gasser is DOA in the garage needing a few parts. The Med and XL suit all of my needs based on my cooking style. I enjoy having the extra deck space. 
    Stuffed mushrooms on the MM is pretty damned hard to beat.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    An XL full of them wins hands down 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    An XL full of them wins hands down 
    True that. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    My dad recently won a Webber kettle in a raffle and said he was going to sell it on Craigslist. I told him I would take it off his hands. He looked at me incredulously and asked why in the world I would want another grill. I’m so misunderstood. And, no, I didn’t get the kettle. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    SonVolt said:

Yes I have, using a Weber grid and U bolts.
    Steel over ceramic, ceramic over ceramic, ceramic over steel, at a 2" gap.

My conclusion, it really didn't make that much of a difference.  

Anymore, I prefer a pizza style better suited for the egg, pan pizza for example.  The faster bake stuff goes on the Blackstone Oven.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    Options
    Go ahead and blind fold me and give me a smoke...

While the egg is a good grill, its a mediocre smoker. A few of its limits are capacity and design to be a good BBQ smoker.

So, while I love my egg for pizza, burgers, steaks, fish.

My briskets, shoulders, picnics, chicken, and ribs are better off my Stumps.
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• SonVolt
    Options
    billt01 said:

While the egg is a good grill, its a mediocre smoker. A few of its limits are capacity and design to be a good BBQ smoker.

Jack of all trades, master of none. Personally I'm enjoying the less overbearing smoke to my butts and briskets compared to my stick burner. 
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    billt01 said:

Jack of all trades, master of none. Personally I'm enjoying the less overbearing smoke to my butts and briskets compared to my stick burner. 
    A Stumps is not a stick burner. 
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga