Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Please don't stone me but....

Options
Does anyone have any suggestions for a really, really, really good vegetarian dish (hah - autocorrect put vegetations instead which I guess is also true!!)?

I'm talking something you'd be as proud to bring out as your best brisket or pulled pork. My brother and sister-in-law are moving to the other side of the country (it's Canada so that's significant) and I have one last chance to blow her away with something from the Q's. 

I have build your own pizza (always a winner) as a fallback. I'm looking for something beyond though, not grilled veggies, not smoked vegetarian lasagna. Really something that makes you go 'what on earth was that, so good'.

Even if it is just something you ate somewhere and you can describe the major ingredients, I'm willing to run with that. I have about 6 weeks to get something down.

Meanwhile I'll practice pizza, it's a hard job but someone has to do it!

Comments

• tenpenny_05
    tenpenny_05 Posts: 286
    Options
    Eggplant Parmesan has always been a really really good option for me.  There are several ways to do it and every way is always delicious. Most recipes could easily be adapted to the egg. 
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,758
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I'm doing a wedding this weekend where they wanted SOME vegetarian dishes --first thing I did was lacto ferment a bunch of veggies for appetizers, green beans carrots and cabbage...On the grill I will be doing an eggplant mixed grill and Pesto-Stuffed Grilled Portobellos

Glad the majority are meat eaters, Tri Tip Chicken and Rice Pilaf for them
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Hey don't worry, there are plenty of Blaspheme....I mean Vegetarians on here I'm sure of it =). Seriously though On the right hand side of the forum there is a list of forums and Vegetarian is one of them. Looks like there are 32 topics in there and there is a Vegetable one with 94 topics. Scroll through and see if you find something you like.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    straight veggies or do they eat fish as well. if no fish or seafood, maybe baked chili rellenos with crema
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I think I'd go George costanza with lobster eggs.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VbJSg4AlV78&list=RDVbJSg4AlV78&index=1

Sorry, a request for vegetarian recipes puts my helpful nature in conflict with a sudden urge to be a smar a.ss.

Phoenix 
  • distanceman
    distanceman Posts: 138
    Options
    I don't think you'll get stoned asking for a veg recipe. However, if you post about 1/2" ribeyes or getting a new Platesetter after you broke yours....watch out
    Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker
  • jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    Options
    Others have already mentioned Eggplant Parmesan so I'm late to the post, but here's my version that always goes over well.
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1212311/big-green-eggplant-parmesan#latest
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I just started making red quinoa with asparagus, portobellos & feta  It's great.
    I make this one during the summer.  Quinoa Salad with corn, tomatoes, avocado and lime.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    Check out Thug Kitchen if you can look past the the foul language. 
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    @SonVolt what is your address and what time is dinner? 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I grill my eggplant before making the parmigiana. Sorry if that was in one of the above recipes. I also use both grilled zucchini and eggplant together sometimes. Parmigiana on the egg is killer. You will wow them.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Subscribe to Purple Carrot for a while.  You really learn much about vegetarian cooking - ingredients, techniques, etc.
    Options
    @SonVolt what is your address and what time is dinner? 

5PM sharp by the pool Friday through Sunday. Bring your own bug-a-salt.... drinks are always on me. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • kaybee
    kaybee Posts: 120
    Options
    Hey don't worry, there are plenty of Blaspheme....I mean Vegetarians on here I'm sure of it =). Seriously though On the right hand side of the forum there is a list of forums and Vegetarian is one of them. Looks like there are 32 topics in there and there is a Vegetable one with 94 topics. Scroll through and see if you find something you like.
    Doh, sorry. I should have looked more carefully. I will certainly go through those.
  • kaybee
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Hmm, I think if it were me I would do a series of small Tapas style dishes. Veggies are usually quick to grill so you could assemble several fairly quickly. 

Here's some of my recent grilled vegetarian plates for the summer... 

Wowza!! You wanna just come to my place and cook all that and solve the problem for me? Those look absolutely amazing and the plating/photography is superb!

That certainly gives me some great ideas to work with and I really, really look forward to the required experimentation beforehand!!!

• kaybee
    Options
    Getting some interesting suggestions on another forum as well. One of the more intriguing is a Tofu Wellington...
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2018
    Options
    kaybee said:
     Tofu ...

Well the pup's gotta eat something  =)
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Flag... Troll... Abuse...

I like some asparagus in oil w SnP.  Bonus...it makes your pee smell funny.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SonVolt
    Options
    thetrim said:

You should see what those Beets do out the other end.... 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    kaybee said:
    Doh, sorry. I should have looked more carefully. I will certainly go through those.
    Don't need to say sorry. I do it all the time. I ask a question and then afterwards realize, I shoulda just searched.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    thetrim said:

Say NO to beets!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SonVolt
    Options
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    thetrim said:
    SonVolt said:
    thetrim said:

Say NO to beets!
    Beet juice makes a good deicer. That’s about all it’s good for. 
  • kaybee
    Options
    SonVolt said: ki
    Uh oh. This may signal the end of productive input!!  =)  =)  =)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I like beets, but don't have them often. Haven't tried these yet, but they look tasty. Probably not something that would knock your socks off though.
    Beets with Dill and Walnuts
    Surprising number of ingredients.
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/beets-with-dill-walnuts

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    Options
    I have a great Eggplant Parmesan that I do on the egg quite often. Not where i can provide you the recipe but happy to do so. It is actually in my head so would need to put it on paper. I do it in a cat iron casserole. Some garlic bread and a salad.....  ;) PM me if interested.
    Do Share your recipe!  Thanks!
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• kaybee
    Options
    BBQBuddy said:
    I have a great Eggplant Parmesan that I do on the egg quite often. Not where i can provide you the recipe but happy to do so. It is actually in my head so would need to put it on paper. I do it in a cat iron casserole. Some garlic bread and a salad.....  ;) PM me if interested.
    Do Share your recipe!  Thanks!
    Seconded!!
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Options
    Look up a recipe for Portabllo Mushroom Burgers. It is pretty easy to do and the Mushroom replaces the Meat. She may like that.