Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Second cook -- duck!

First, many thanks to Sea2ski for consult.  Second cook, a duckling stuffed with quartered orange and onion, and a somewhat elaborate glaze from a New York Times recipe.  Would post link, but frankly, all that fussiness imparted only the mildest of flavor on the duck.  Did not smoke, as I am still experimenting, and thought this ambitious enough.  Cooked around 300, hair above maybe, for about 2.5 hours, yielding a leg temp of about 180, which was hotter than I would have liked, and got there much quicker.  Don't have a probe, just an instant read Lavatools Javelin Duo Pro, which was cheap and works well.  It was still great.  But for future reference, will probably shorten that and reverse sear at end.  Could have been a little crispier, but as I said, it was still delicious and I learned a TON.  It's all trial and error, I am learning.  Next up:  a small, boneless leg of lamb. 

Virginia Beach, VA

Comments

• Ambitious second cook! Looks solid. I’m with ya, I’m always amazed by how hard you can lean into flavoring domestic duck with surprisingly subtle results. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    First, many thanks to Sea2ski for consult.  Second cook, a duckling stuffed with quartered orange and onion, and a somewhat elaborate glaze from a New York Times recipe.  Would post link, but frankly, all that fussiness imparted only the mildest of flavor on the duck.  Did not smoke, as I am still experimenting, and thought this ambitious enough.  Cooked around 300, hair above maybe, for about 2.5 hours, yielding a leg temp of about 180, which was hotter than I would have liked, and got there much quicker.  Don't have a probe, just an instant read Lavatools Javelin Duo Pro, which was cheap and works well.  It was still great.  But for future reference, will probably shorten that and reverse sear at end.  Could have been a little crispier, but as I said, it was still delicious and I learned a TON.  It's all trial and error, I am learning.  Next up:  a small, boneless leg of lamb. 

Beautiful bird right there. @Sea2Ski is the man. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    nice cook, agree about glazes during the cook with duck. i go with side sauces now, cranberries, blue berries, orange, lemon, sugar, cloves and serve on the side.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    It looks GORGEOUS!!!  I'm amazed and impressed at your ambition for a 2nd cook!  I've been cooking on my BGEs for years and have never cooked a duck!  (The fact that my wife really hates any kind of poultry other than chicken makes it a bit discouraging fussing over a cook I know in advance she won't like.)

It's too bad if it was a bit overdone, but even overdone I think duck is good, and I bet it was tasty.  Great job!
  • BigGreenBean
    BigGreenBean Posts: 117
    You know, I chose duck because I thought it would be somewhat forgiving with all the fat.  I think that judgment proved out.  Plus, I really like duck.
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • DFW
    DFW Posts: 208
    I've had my BGE for about 2.5yrs now and still haven't cooked a duck...just found a new butcher and will have to ask if they can get some fresh duck.  Does Sam's or Costco even sell them??
    Arlington, TX
  • BigGreenBean
    BigGreenBean Posts: 117
    DFW said:
    I've had my BGE for about 2.5yrs now and still haven't cooked a duck...just found a new butcher and will have to ask if they can get some fresh duck.  Does Sam's or Costco even sell them??
    Sam's didn't when I tried it.  Picked this up at a local asian market.  If you're in DFW (big town), I'm sure there's a million of them. 
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • What a beautiful duck! That's pretty awesome for your 2nd cook on the egg. And the food you cook will keep getting better and better. Great job!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Glad it worked out for you and you enjoyed the meal!  If given the choice between lamb and duck, I would have to ask if I really only had to choose one over and over because I love both. I am just limited with my duck cooks because my wife will not eat it. If I were there, I would have torn into that thing!! Looks great! 

Crispy skin on the duck has been hit or miss for me. I always prick it all over so the fat can render out and self baste, but this is also done after sitting at least overnight in the fridge to dry out some. I also cook at a lower temperature then bump it up at the end to try and get that rendering fat to “fry” the skin. Similar process to a reverse sear, but indirect during both parts of the cook. When it works, it is fantastic. You have to watch it close, because it can go over target temp quickly. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite.