Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It took 6 weeks longer then I expected and cost 3 times as much but at least I can say I built it

So my wife and I started to do some little easy wood projects and we thought we were goods gift. I went overboard and bought all the tools to make a great tool shed being she was into it as well they're was no resistance and the wallet was open. We made a few step stools and even 2 bar stools and they came out pretty good. So we decided to take on a big project!! I have 2 new eggs that I didn't even take out of the box yet a M/M and a Large. I said we should make tables for out eggs, and she said sounds great. 1 week into this project (all one paper haven't even purchased any wood yet) she said she was out that its taking to long so now its a solo project which means I cant just say hey lets go in the shed and work on the grill table, no I have to do it on my spare time when she is working otherwise it takes time away form our time together. (I know that sounds bad but its not I love my wife and love to spend time together), what Im trying to say is that it took 6 weeks longer then expected because I could never really give it more then an hour or two here and there, I could never sink my teeth into it without it becoming a problem and not fun. Anyway with all that said I have intentions on making one more of these for the Large but the XL got its home first. 
So for the build it went exactly how I planned (can you feel my nose growing). Not one thing I drew came out right and I cut wood what feels like a thousand times. Also did you know that if you mill your own wood and joint and plane it that it will still cup as it dries, well I didnt. Also did you know that wood moves depending on the weather and it moves a lot? This I did not know either making for a very challenging first major project. I messed up a number of times and im living with a few (a lot) of imperfections that I hope will not be on the Large table (hopefully I learn from my mistakes).
All in all it was fun and I can now say that I built my own egg table (as long as it doesn't fall apart soon)
Its not completely done but its usable in fact im using it now as I type this im doing a spatchcock chicken with asparagus.

Long Island NY    
1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    It’s beautiful. 

Great story as well. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    Wow that looks great! You should be very proud!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Very nice setup 
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Thanks for the kind words. I hope the next one comes out better. Plus I see I need utensil hooks and a bottle opener as well.

Long Island NY    
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    That's a sharp table - very nicely done.  
    Phoenix 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    You should be proud of that table. Stainless top? Wow that is unique as well. Congrats.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Very nice! And, it's not sitting on or near a flammable surface! Extra points for that!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    That's a skill set I could only dream about.  Great table right there.  Congrats-you have set quite a high bar for your next one.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Wow -- that is one seriously good looking piece of fine furniture!  Fantastic job!
  • jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    That is a damn fine looking table!  Great job!  The extra time and effort paid off.  Now that you have one under your belt maybe the wife will play along on the next one.
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Sounds like one of my projects timelines. Absolutely beautiful though. Good job.  
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • mlc2013
    jdkeithbge
    I already cut all the wood for the next table and have the new plans drawn out so I think she will join me or at least I hope she does
    Jeremiah
    it seems like all my time lines hear of late are like that now
    northGAcock
    It took a while to find the look I wanted, when the total project is complete Ill have to matching table flanking my 6' stainless gasser that I plan on building some underneath storage in as well. I should be done by 7/1/2020 if all goes smooth.

Long Island NY    
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Nothing wrong with that!  Esp when you built it yourself.  Nice work!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Hebs
    Hebs Posts: 5
    Looks good man! I recently made a potato bin from scratch for the wife and I did all of the planer and jointer work myself (red oak), so I can appreciate the effort you had to go through. 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Great job.... 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 464
    BZ!!  Looks awesome!!!
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• Really well done, you should be proud of your efforts.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    Beautiful job, @mlc2013

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 456
    Horizontal storage is genius!  Beautiful table. 
    IL 
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Great work there, very professional looking
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • northGAcock
    mlc2013 said:
    jdkeithbge
    I already cut all the wood for the next table and have the new plans drawn out so I think she will join me or at least I hope she does
    Jeremiah
    it seems like all my time lines hear of late are like that now
    northGAcock
    It took a while to find the look I wanted, when the total project is complete Ill have to matching table flanking my 6' stainless gasser that I plan on building some underneath storage in as well. I should be done by 7/1/2020 if all goes smooth.

It just takes time and money.....what the heck. All the best and who really cares if it is July 14th before you finish?

• mlc2013

I think you missed the year I’m giving myself a finish date of July 1, 2020 
    Long Island NY    
  • northGAcock
    mlc2013 said:

I think you missed the year I’m giving myself a finish date of July 1, 2020 
    July 14th 2020. =)

• mlc2013
    Botch: thank you I try
    thetrim: thanks and no one ever says they have an ugly child 
    Hebs: it was interesting to learn how much work goes into a straight piece of wood, glad I did this project
    logchief: thanks I knew what I wanted but had no idea how to get there but I'm very pleased with what I came up with
    LetsEat I was at a pizza place and saw all their pies stacked up on a rack and a light bulb went off in my head
    Long Island NY    
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    One of the nicest tables I’ve seen great job!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • mlc2013
    Hans61 Thank you i appreciate it
    Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    I figured I would treat myself and let the little guy out of the pen and play with the big guy. 
    Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    okay after using the table for a few weeks lets just say the design was bad!!! I mean its normal for a table to bow in the middle so you cant open the door or drawer and the table top be shaped alike a U. I new it was a problem when my beer wouldn't stay upright anymore. I guess the whole no screws thing wasn't the best option. Well I didnt give up and still have no screws in it and lets see if table 2.0 last any longer then 1.0 did, so I had to redo a few things and now the table is hopefully complete.

Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    lets see if anyone can spot the differences from the first table to this one
    Long Island NY    
  • NC_Egghead
    NC_Egghead Posts: 786
    Nice table. I wouldn’t attempt a project like that with spousal help. No way...
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle