Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bad thermapen luck

Options

Comments

• ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker couldnt agree with you more!! The Pop imo is the best deal out there, although just purchased the Lavatools Javelin Pro with the discount so we'll see how it is. 
    O-Town, FL

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    What discount?  The massdrop deal that appears to have ended?
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have had similar issues with it not wanting to turn on.  Replacing the batteries helped but it is still a little difficult to turn on.  

I recently got the lavatools javalin pro for $38 and I really like it so far.  It will be my primary and the thermapen the backup.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    njl said:
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1213832/hello-from-lavatools/p1
    New Orleans LA
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    I have three thermapens, all over five years old, and all work perfectly. I have changed one battery. I kept one in my camping gear for years, and it went through some rough patches. I keep one outside (covered patio) because I got tired of going back into the kitchen when I needed it, and the next time I cooked inside I had to go find it. Seems like a great track record.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    i melted my first one on a simmer plate, it still worked but then it fell off the deck onto the rock wall and out into the lake. dried it out for a few days and it worked for another year, piece of crap. my new ones maybe 12 years old, same batteries.  ive seen others go but its usually the insane neat freaks, washing is a big no-no. even the water resistant ones
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as the OP.  Got a RMA back in February to send mine in but then a few things came up where I needed it and didn't want to send it in.  Plus I didn't see the value of sending it and getting it returned when I could have paid to have a new pop.  I've always marked it up to not knowing any better, but was never impressed with the "instant read".  I could put it in a pot of boiling water and it would take some time and "climb" to eventual temp.  TLDR: don't waste your money on the classic or MK4.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I'm really starting to question my $80 Purchase of my MK4, especially since that Lavatools person posted the other day theirs were on sale and only like $20 bucks. Did you people make me waste my money??? =)

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,183
    Options
    I just went and checked mine again right now. DOA until the 4th time I opened it. 

“Fool me once...”

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    I thought Red was fastest 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    I'm starting to think lavaTools started this thread  =)

But seriously, I now have both Love the MK4 and the Javelin seems just as well---I even to the forbidden with my MK and lift food with it..........The Javelin is just a tad lighter than the MK, 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    You guys clearly bought the wrong color. 

I bought blazing Orange because I figured that was the most douchiest color of the bunch besides the lime green. Go big or go home right?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I thought Red was fastest 
    It is...once it starts working.lol
    My similar model/version does the same thing.
    My old, truly the original, grey color pen is still going strong after 1 warranty fix of the battery contacts.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Dondgc
    Options
    I'm really starting to question my $80 Purchase of my MK4, especially since that Lavatools person posted the other day theirs were on sale and only like $20 bucks. Did you people make me waste my money??? =)
    If it makes you feel better the Javelin Pro is significantly more than $20. But significantly less than $80!
    New Orleans LA
  • stevez
    stevez Posts: 123
    Options

I ordered the Javelin Pro too today with the discount.  I'll have something to check my readings from my Thermopen.  I've never had trouble getting it to register a reading although I do have to open/close to reset some.  My trouble is some of the readings don't make any sense and I know are wrong.  Maybe user error.  We'll see with the new one. 

Steve

X/L BGE

Louisville, Kentucky
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

This thread is blowing me away.  As long as I've been on the forum, the single most important accessory recommended was the Tpen.

I've got a tpen, tpop, thermaq, smoke, 3 time stick duo's, and an infrared.

I had trouble with a time stick and the smoke - they replaced both within 3 days.  Until they do me wrong, I'm a supporter.

Phoenix 
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I have had my Thermapen for over 3 years with zero problems and actually bought one for a former employee and he loves it.   I just picked up a Javelin with the recent sale for a travel thermo so I'll be trying it out soon.   I also have the Thermoworks Blu Duo...don't care for the Blue Tooth since range is minimal, but no problems with the device or the probes.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Dondgc said:
    njl said:
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1213832/hello-from-lavatools/p1
    You snooze you lose.  I picked one up.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    blasting said:

This thread is blowing me away.  As long as I've been on the forum, the single most important accessory recommended was the Tpen.

I've got a tpen, tpop, thermaq, smoke, 3 time stick duo's, and an infrared.

I had trouble with a time stick and the smoke - they replaced both within 3 days.  Until they do me wrong, I'm a supporter.

I am still a supporter and don't feel I have been done wrong in any way. Great service (all 3 times lol). I would probably never buy a folding probe again from anyone. No need for it. The Pop is actually smaller than the pen and 75% less money. Plus it turns on 100% of the time I push the button. I never would have brought it up if someone else hadn't mentioned they were running into the same issues. I got a lot of use out of it; Just wanted to let them know they weren't alone and I don't feel like my Thermapen lived up to the hype either. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Well said Cen Tex. 
  • njl
    Options
    stevez said:

I ordered the Javelin Pro too today with the discount.  I'll have something to check my readings from my Thermopen.  I've never had trouble getting it to register a reading although I do have to open/close to reset some.  My trouble is some of the readings don't make any sense and I know are wrong.  Maybe user error.  We'll see with the new one. 

Come to think of it, the past several times I used my backlit Thermapen, it gave me readings that were probably wrong by as much as 20-30F.  i.e. Cooking steaks, it'd say I was in the 140s or 150s, and I'd pull the steak thinking I've wrecked it (overcooked)...only to cut into them 10-15min later and find they're super rare (which I like, but my wife doesn't).  That's the one that does the "flash a few rapidly falling temps, then Lo, then Err" now.
  • njl
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    I'm starting to think lavaTools started this thread  =)

But seriously, I now have both Love the MK4 and the Javelin seems just as well---I even to the forbidden with my MK and lift food with it..........The Javelin is just a tad lighter than the MK,  
    You got me, I'm a lava tools shill.  :)

But seriously, I'd never heard of them.  Being a sucker for a deal, I did just order a Javelin Pro (was going to go for the stealth ink color til I saw it was $5 extra), and a carbon lite to replace my second Maverick, which I recently discovered had badly leaking batteries after a long time between uses.

I get that some think the rotating probe is a bad idea (destined to fail), but I prefer that design to a straight probe, and the lava tools warranty appears to be much longer than Thermoworks.  IIRC, 3yr vs 1yr.  
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker  I'm with you on the pop.  I went head to head pop vs. pen.  There was less than a second of difference.  No reason to spend the $$$ unless someone really wants to look all chefy.
    Phoenix 
  • Dondgc
    Options

So which one is right? Or is either one right ? 
    New Orleans LA
  • DoubleEgger
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Dondgc said:

So which one is right? Or is either one right ? 
    The Pop. The house is set at 70. Haven’t boil tested them yet. 
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    i bought the pop(s) 2 of them when they were on sale for 19.99 and never had a problem I was going to get the pen but it was to rich for me at the time being a novice egger, well i egg a bit more now and  just got the pen (literally got it today) because it was on sale I hope I dont have any issues with the pen it was still a lot of coin but the jelly beans are great and definitely worth it.
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    i have two thermopen never had an issue with either of them
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM