Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE warranty.....easy peasy

Options

Comments

• Wooderson
    Wooderson Posts: 354
    Options
    Oh jeesus, at this point someone needs to piss out the fire.  Hey @pgprescott.... I'm about 4.5 hours away from you.  If I came to your Daddy's eggfest and approached him with the same situation and didn't fabricate anything and he granted me another plate setter, who's the morally inept jerk?  Your father, me, or you??????  

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Wooderson said:
    Oh jeesus, at this point someone needs to piss out the fire.  Hey @pgprescott.... I'm about 4.5 hours away from you.  If I came to your Daddy's eggfest and approached him with the same situation and didn't fabricate anything and he granted me another plate setter, who's the morally inept jerk?  Your father, me, or you??????  

Man I kinda had your back. But dang then you went and dogged on the mans father. Not cool on Father’s Day week. You didn’t just piss out the fire. You added jet fuel to it. =)

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Wooderson
    Options
    Awe damn, just so happens I'm a father too.  What's good for the goose, is good for the gander.  The man's way out of line.  I truly believe that his father, being a smart business man, would've done the same thing my dealer had.  I have no reservations about going back to this dealer and buying more products and also passing along free word of mouth advertising.   I also purchased $100 worth of BGE goods while at the eggfest.  Including a set of corn holders that my wife had to have.  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Pete, the quintessential "carve out your own life's path", "work or starve", "pull yourself up by your own bootstraps" guy is a soap box philosopher in the vein of what you could sadly call a stereotype of hypocrisy -- middle aged guy selling lawn furniture and grills at daddy's shop.  Pays the bills, great job, sure you work hard, chief!  I don't have a problem working for the family business, but why would you poop in your own living room?  ...and poop...and poop...and...poop... 

JFC dood, stay neutral if you have a business.  I wouldn't be Rachael Maddow on a forum directly connected to my business given the diversity of customers.  Anyway, this has perplexed me, but I gave up trying to figure out the lack of restraint. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But good for the lolz, always.

Options
    Good thing there are outlets for consumers.

Options
    Who is this @EGGjlmh fellah that seems to take offense with my very thoughtful comments?
    Options
    Even LL Bean stopped it's long standing policy of no questions asked returns. 

They were tired of being taken advantage of.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• unoriginalusername
    unoriginalusername Posts: 1,063
    edited June 2018
    Options
    There are lots of places to buy lump, accessories and down the road another grill. Did you even consider this might be a dealer in a very competitive market who wants a bigger share of the consumables spend before grabbing the flame thrower?

Rather than spending $80 on AdWords or boosting a FB post the dealer might have decided it was worth getting the additional loyalty spend from the OP or the endorsement to come to this particular dealer based on any conversations that come up with the OP and family, friends, coworkers etc. 

I am not sure how a dealer who sees the worst in people and limits their definition of customer service to their end users as whatever is imposed on them by the manufacturer suceeds in the market by anything other than having a protected market territory. 

Youve had had three pages to make your point over and over, move on. 
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
     looks like someone has been living in small business for too long...

out here in the capitalist banking world, transactions are made every day outlined on the principles of this topic..

is it right or wrong, who cares..

have YOUR moral code and don't judge others on their code..

Be happy..
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Anyone else think running home mid fest to snap a pic to get a quick replacement is "pulling a fast one" odd?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• billt01
    Options
    Focker said:
    Anyone else think running home mid fest to snap a pic to get a quick replacement is "pulling a fast one" odd?
    you do you...

no judgement from me... =);)
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    billt01 said:
    Focker said:
    you do you...

no judgement from me... =);)
    Have you filed a BGE claim?
    Once you do, report back on it's speedy process.  ;)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,339
    Options
    So you go to an EggFest with a couple hundred potential egg owners along with however many participants and you ask the rep about a platesetter that YOU broke...

BGE big selling point is their warranty. I'm in the crowd that says the rep gave you what you wanted to quiet the noise. The last thing they want is somebody walking around talking about how BGE wouldn't replace his platesetter at an EggFest.

I'm not attacking anyone's character, but if it were me, I would have a hard time even approaching the warranty path knowing that I am the one who was at fault.

If you were to file an official claim and listed that you kicked it over and it broke, it would not be given a second look and denied.

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• DWFII
    DWFII Posts: 317
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Well, I did a little digging...I inherited my Egg so I never saw a the warranty terms, until now...

According to the terms of the warranty,..at least the way I read it...if you install a Rutland gasket it voids the warranty. If you use lighter fluid, it voids the warranty.

"Any unauthorized modifications or alterations to an EGG will void the Warranty. This includes using any parts inside the EGG other than authentic BGE components; drilling holes or tampering with any of the parts; or using any internal components in any way other than as intended by the manufacturer. Modifying or substituting any internal components, including the fire grate and fire ring, will void the Warranty, and BGE expressly disclaims any liability for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damage which may result. The pouring of lighter fluids or any flammable mixture onto or into an EGG will void the Warranty."

Damage from: Using the Egg on a flammable cart effectively voids the warranty; moving, not  covered; normal wear and tear not covered. Negligence (not cooking on it for a season?) not covered.

"or for any damage caused by: transporting; dropping; misassembly; improperly supporting; attempting to suspend the EGG by any means other than an approved BGE Nest or solid, non-combustible surface under the base; commercial use (other than as provided for within this BGE Warranty); modifications; alterations; negligence; abuse; improper care; road hazards; normal and reasonable wear and tear; floods, storms or natural disasters."
    And the plate setter is not warranted against

breakage or cracks from dropping, improper storage, misuse or abuse.
    Make of that what you will, but from reading this forum for 6 months and more,  I suspect there are lots of owners...and dealers (and even the Mother ship)... who regularly disregard the terms of the warranty.

Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
    Instagram
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,947
    Options
    Glad I dodged the lighter fluid bullet!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Wooderson
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Plate setter has a 3 yr warranty .Just for reference
  • DWFII
    DWFII Posts: 317
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Wooderson said:
    As detailed in the warranty  terms...not against "breakage or cracks from dropping, improper storage, misuse or abuse."

[shrug]
    Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
    Instagram
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    DWFII said:
    Well, I did a little digging...I inherited my Egg so I never saw a the warranty terms, until now...

According to the terms of the warranty,..at least the way I read it...if you install a Rutland gasket it voids the warranty. If you use lighter fluid, it voids the warranty.
    <div>"<b>Any unauthorized modifications or alterations to an EGG will void the Warranty. This includes using any parts inside the EGG other than authentic BGE components; </b>drilling holes or tampering with any of the parts; or using any internal components in any way other than as intended by the manufacturer. Modifying or substituting any internal components, including the fire grate and fire ring, will void the Warranty, and BGE expressly disclaims any liability for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damage which may result. The pouring of lighter fluids or any flammable mixture onto or into an EGG will void the Warranty."</div>

If a fire ring or bowl cracks and the person was using a Kick Ash Basket should they include that info with their warranty claim? Are they unethical if they don't?

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,616
    Options
    Re-gasketing America and voiding warranties one egg at a time!
  • Wooderson
    Options
    DWFII said:
    Wooderson said:
    As detailed in the warranty  terms...not against "breakage or cracks from dropping, improper storage, misuse or abuse."

[shrug]
    Right, just wanted other users to know the limitations of the warranty .Hopefully they can find an awesome rep like I did.  I know I'll be going back to him for other awesome BGE products.  Good business brings in good customers. Keep cooking the protein!!!
  • billt01
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    DWFII said:

<div>"Any unauthorized modifications or alterations to an EGG will void the Warranty. This includes using any parts inside the EGG other than authentic BGE components; drilling holes or tampering with any of the parts; or using any internal components in any way other than as intended by the manufacturer. <b>Modifying or substituting any internal components, including the fire grate and fire ring, <i>will void the Warranty</i></b>, and BGE expressly disclaims any liability for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damage which may result. The pouring of lighter fluids or any flammable mixture onto or into an EGG will void the Warranty."</div>

If a fire ring or bowl cracks and the person was using a Kick Ash Basket should they include that info with their warranty claim? Are they unethical if they don't?

Yup...
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    DWFII said:

<div>"<b>Any unauthorized modifications or alterations to an EGG will void the Warranty. This includes using any parts inside the EGG other than authentic BGE components; </b>drilling holes or tampering with any of the parts; or using any internal components in any way other than as intended by the manufacturer. Modifying or substituting any internal components, including the fire grate and fire ring, will void the Warranty, and BGE expressly disclaims any liability for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damage which may result. The pouring of lighter fluids or any flammable mixture onto or into an EGG will void the Warranty."</div>

This actually makes me wonder. For those of you who have say a Rutland and have had to have a dome or base replaced, Did you keep the Rutland on there when returning it for a warranty replacement and did the dealer even say anything? I really like the idea of the Rutland and am considering it when my factory gasket goes bad but I don't want to run the risk of it voiding anything. I'm more tempted to just buy the Nomex BGE one. Replacing a gasket every 1 or 2 years or maybe longer seems like a pretty minor pain to keep the warranty valid on a product I plan on using till I die. Also the cast iron fire grate works fine for me.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    What if one doesn't pay for their gasket? How's that fall in these rules.  Asking for a friend. TIA 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options

This actually makes me wonder. For those of you who have say a Rutland and have had to have a dome or base replaced, Did you keep the Rutland on there when returning it for a warranty replacement and did the dealer even say anything? I really like the idea of the Rutland and am considering it when my factory gasket goes bad but I don't want to run the risk of it voiding anything. I'm more tempted to just buy the Nomex BGE one. Replacing a gasket every 1 or 2 years or maybe longer seems like a pretty minor pain to keep the warranty valid on a product I plan on using till I die. Also the cast iron fire grate works fine for me.
    I wouldn't worry about it.  @Wooderson has a hookup.  He'll take care of ya.  

Little Rock, AR

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    edited June 2018
    Options
    billt01 said:
    HeavyG said:
    DWFII said:

<div>"Any unauthorized modifications or alterations to an EGG will void the Warranty. This includes using any parts inside the EGG other than authentic BGE components; drilling holes or tampering with any of the parts; or using any internal components in any way other than as intended by the manufacturer. <b>Modifying or substituting any internal components, including the fire grate and fire ring, <i>will void the Warranty</i></b>, and BGE expressly disclaims any liability for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damage which may result. The pouring of lighter fluids or any flammable mixture onto or into an EGG will void the Warranty."</div>

Yup...

Should the Kick Ash Basket folks have a disclaimer on their website that clearly states that "using our product will void your BGE warranty"?

Are the KAB folks unethical if they don't?

Should BGE dealers that also sell the KAB in their store inform their customers that "using that in your Egg will void your warranty"?

Are such dealers unethical if they don't?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options

I wouldn't worry about it.  @Wooderson has a hookup.  He'll take care of ya.  

Well if he lived in the Dallas Area i'd ask what his dealers name is because it seems like that dealer knows what's up. =)

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,616
    Options
    I had a warranty claim on a cracked base, XL, running all across the bottom.  Asked for pics of the crack, sent them, claim filled.  I have a Rutland from Ron, nobody asked or cared.  Maybe that puts me on par with OP.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Live in the spirit of the law, but not the letter.