Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE warranty.....easy peasy

Options
Just so happened that in my small town they decided to have an eggfest.  I ran into the rep and questioned him about the warranty on the egg and components.  The place I originally purchased it from went out of business and I had no documentation to show I was the original owner.  A dumb move on my part one night was leaning my plate setter against my table and then moving my table........ The rest is history.  They said to take a picture of the broken setter.  I ran down two blocks to my house, snapped a picture, walked away with a brand new lovely plate setter.  Boom.  Faith in humanity, restored.

Comments

• Stubby
    Stubby Posts: 134
    Options
    Pretty sweet. Nice to see great customer service.
    XL.......for now

Kernersville, NC
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Huh? You physically broke your PS and arm twisted a rep into paying for your carelessness and then your faith in humanity was restored. Mine was not. I am continually amazed. That isn’t customer service, it’s cowardice. Jeez. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    So @SamIAm2 , if I buy a car and drive down the street and carelessly run into an obstruction and dent the door. I should go back to the dealer and ask for a new one. Got it.

Character, you either have it or you don’t. This sort of mindset is a cancer on our society. Free chit isn’t always a good thing, sometimes it’s just an embarrassment.  I can assure you the rep had a few choice words in private. Sad. Right is right and wrong is wrong. Simple. 
  • Wooderson
    Wooderson Posts: 354
    Options
    Pgprescott, have you nothing better than to troll the internet?  You sir, are what's wrong with society today.  Overly sensitive, and can't help but to speak your mind on every situation...... Even when it doesn't concern or impact your own life.  $80 plate setter, that was probably produced for pennies on the dollar, consumer is dealt the mark up, yet, you feel the need to weep for the corporation.  Enjoy life
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,336
    Options
    @pgprescott may know a thing or two about selling BGE, their markup, and the warranty process.

Why post on a forum if you get butthurt over some criticism? 

It's Bush league. It wasn't BGE fault you were dumb 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Wooderson
    Options
    You gotta get yours, but fool, I gotta get mine.  Everything is fine
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,336
    Options
    Ha! Love me some S-N-O-O-P
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Options
    Huh? You physically broke your PS and arm twisted a rep into paying for your carelessness and then your faith in humanity was restored. Mine was not. I am continually amazed. That isn’t customer service, it’s cowardice. Jeez. 
    Question for you @pgprescott Who actually eats the cost of the plate setter in that situation? Or any warranty claim for that matter? For instance, i just got a new fire box that had cracked into 3 large pieces from my dealer. 
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,036
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Question for you @pgprescott Who actually eats the cost of the plate setter in that situation? Or any warranty claim for that matter? For instance, i just got a new fire box that had cracked into 3 large pieces from my dealer. 
     The warranty cost it part of the price set by BGE.  Every person who buys a new item from BGE is paying a portion of the warranty claim.

If BGE had no warranty then the MSRP would be a lot less.

As far as the OP and his plate setter, I assume he explained how he broke it to the rep, and the BGE rep agreed to replace it.  That is cool and totally up to BGE.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    If Wooderson told the guy the truth, which I assume he did since that’s what he said, I dont see how he is in the wrong. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    For the record, I’m a dealer. I broke my own plate setter @8 years ago almost exactly as described. I bought a new one as I would have been personally embarrassed and ashamed to attempt to “steal” one from the distributor. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
     The warranty cost it part of the price set by BGE.  Every person who buys a new item from BGE is paying a portion of the warranty claim.

As far as the OP and his plate setter, I assume he explained how he broke it to the rep, and the BGE rep agreed to replace it.  That is cool and totally up to BGE.
    This is where the rubber meets the road. When you ask for it and you know it’s wrong then it’s wrong. Counting on a company to do the wrong thing because they would rather give you something you don’t deserve than take the chance you bad mouth them doesnt make it right. Fundamental lack of
    character and respect for others and their perspective. There is no way you can spin this as ok. Is it a huge deal individually, no. Societally it is ginormous.  
  • pgprescott
    Options

I just did the same at our store last week. The dealer turns it in. Didn’t want to inconvenience the guy by making him wait. 

For this argument, it is irrelevant whether you are taking from the little guy or the big guy. It’s still wrong. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Wooderson said:
    Pgprescott, have you nothing better than to troll the internet?  You sir, are what's wrong with society today.  Overly sensitive, and can't help but to speak your mind on every situation...... Even when it doesn't concern or impact your own life.  $80 plate setter, that was probably produced for pennies on the dollar, consumer is dealt the mark up, yet, you feel the need to weep for the corporation.  Enjoy life
    I’m not trolling you I am disgusted with you and people Ike you. The more you type the worse you sound. You just admitted you are
    fine with stealing the $80 from a large corporation. Pathetic!
  • Wooderson
    Options
    I see from your timestamps that this is festering with you.  I'll thoroughly explain the events from yesterday: I found a rep and asked the initial question about me having no documentation of purchase.  I also went on to explain how I broke my plate setter without any intention on "stealing" a new one.  I wasn't embarrassed because I'm humble about being a human.  Without hesitation the rep said to take a picture.  I hope your day turns around. I'm planning on doing a rack of ribs cooked indirectly protected by a new plate setter.  Cheers!
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Options

I just did the same at our store last week. The dealer turns it in. Didn’t want to inconvenience the guy by making him wait. 

For this argument, it is irrelevant whether you are taking from the little guy or the big guy. It’s still wrong. 
    Very cool. Was just curious. I had to wait 4 months but it wasn't a big deal. Was able to cook the whole time and they are located just around the corner from work. 
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • pgprescott
    Options

Very cool. Was just curious. I had to wait 4 months but it wasn't a big deal. Was able to cook the whole time and they are located just around the corner from work. 
    Agreed. Sometimes ( most times) it’s no big deal. This guy lost his base and was down and out of the game.
  • pgprescott
    Options

Wooderson said:
    I see from your timestamps that this is festering with you.  I'll thoroughly explain the events from yesterday: I found a rep and asked the initial question about me having no documentation of purchase.  I also went on to explain how I broke my plate setter without any intention on "stealing" a new one.  I wasn't embarrassed because I'm humble about being a human.  Without hesitation the rep said to take a picture.  I hope your day turns around. I'm planning on doing a rack of ribs cooked indirectly protected by a new plate setter.  Cheers!
    I’m sure that’s how it happened. LOL! That’s why you said so initially. LOL! Even if it is true, he defrauded the Corp. They don’t just hand stuff out. Someone has to lie about it. Enjoy the hard earned fruits of your labor. LOL! Karma’s a b****!
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,896
    Options
    So @SamIAm2 , if I buy a car and drive down the street and carelessly run into an obstruction and dent the door. I should go back to the dealer and ask for a new one. Got it.

Character, you either have it or you don’t. This sort of mindset is a cancer on our society. Free chit isn’t always a good thing, sometimes it’s just an embarrassment.  I can assure you the rep had a few choice words in private. Sad. Right is right and wrong is wrong. Simple. 
    Dang, was reading this thread on iTouch and meant to click agree. Did not see this till just now; been busy helping clean up a older than me neighbor's yard who's yard guy abandoned her account without notice. Fixed that now using the computer to make sure. Sorry about that.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:

Dang, was reading this thread on iTouch and meant to click agree. Did not see this till just now; been busy helping clean up a older than me neighbor's yard who's yard guy abandoned her account without notice. Fixed that now using the computer to make sure. Sorry about that.
    Well heck, I can’t edit any longer. Oh well, obviously disregard the call out. Good on you helping out the neighbor. Cheers!
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,896
    Options
    Hope you have a great time with the Eggfest and get @Focker to make lots of Pizzas.  :)
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options

This is where the rubber meets the road. When you ask for it and you know it’s wrong then it’s wrong. Counting on a company to do the wrong thing because they would rather give you something you don’t deserve than take the chance you bad mouth them doesnt make it right. Fundamental lack of
    character and respect for others and their perspective. There is no way you can spin this as ok. Is it a huge deal individually, no. Societally it is ginormous.  
     I won't change your mind, but if you tell a company up front what happened I don't see an issue.  If you get upset and blast them when they say no, then you have a character problem.

Did you lay into the Sugar Glider lady from the devastated thread?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
    And I can't get the warranty dept to reply to my emails.  Sent pics and documentation as requested and not a peep from them 
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • pgprescott
    Options

I won't change your mind, but if you tell a company up front what happened I don't see an issue.  If you get upset and blast them when they say no, then you have a character problem.

The rep isn’t the company. He likely isn’t an employee of said company. Also the time and place that he was ambushed was not without calculation IMO. Businesses choose to do the wrong thing ethically all the time for a myriad of reasons. Doesn’t make it correct or right. It also doesn’t absolve the individual of his knowingly asking for something for which he knows he is not entitled. Many victims of sexual harassment say nothing and go along with the mistreatment for years, is it ok? Now I know it’s not exactly the same, but wrong is wrong. This quite frankly is shocking to me that it’s even close to a debate. If you ask a coworker to steal something at work for you and you take the item, is it ok cuz he said he would? Would your employer agree? It’s black and white. Those who see grey should re-evaluate. 

Never got into that other thread.

I found this one particularly disturbing much like one years ago when a guy bragged about brow beating a store manager into selling him lump that had been mispriced by a high school employee. The item wasn’t advertised and the error was caught and corrected. The guy threw a fit in the store until the manager allowed him to buy the entire pallet. I would have removed him. Those people are always welcome to shop at my competitors place of business. I honestly don’t know how some people look in the mirror.  
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I remember the charcoal guy. 

Little Rock, AR

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited June 2018
    Options

The rep isn’t the company. He likely isn’t an employee of said company. Also the time and place that he was ambushed was not without calculation IMO. Businesses choose to do the wrong thing ethically all the time for a myriad of reasons. Doesn’t make it correct or right. It also doesn’t absolve the individual of his knowingly asking for something for which he knows he is not entitled. Many victims of sexual harassment say nothing and go along with the mistreatment for years, is it ok? Now I know it’s not exactly the same, but wrong is wrong. This quite frankly is shocking to me that it’s even close to a debate. If you ask a coworker to steal something at work for you and you take the item, is it ok cuz he said he would? Would your employer agree? It’s black and white. Those who see grey should re-evaluate. 

I found this one particularly disturbing much like one years ago when a guy bragged about brow beating a store manager into selling him lump that had been mispriced by a high school employee. The item wasn’t advertised and the error was caught and corrected. The guy threw a fit in the store until the manager allowed him to buy the entire pallet. I would have removed him. Those people are always welcome to shop at my competitors place of business. I honestly don’t know how some people look in the mirror.  
     The rep was hired by and represents the company, hence the name "Representative".  They are also empowered to make decisions.

Sexual assault? That is a straw man argument.

The guy with the pallet was a complete tool and deserved to get tossed out.  That is a totally different situation.
  • pgprescott
    Options

The rep was hired by and represents the company, hence the name "Representative".  They are also empowered to make decisions.

Sexual assault? That is a straw man argument.

The guy with the pallet was a complete tool and deserved to get tossed out.  That is a totally different situation.
    Your right. This guy is spot on. The rep works for the distributor. Yes he reps the product line, But the rep had to lie to get this done, just saying. That says it all. He either lied or paid out of his pocket. You tell me which happened. You need an ethics class or something????? If there is nothing wrong, how come someone has to lie at some point to complete the action? Jeez, I won’t leave my wallet laying around. The guy at best found a rep willing to knowingly defraud a third party with both the first two parties knowing that they were doing so. Yep, you’re right, cool beans all the way. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    My experience is that sales reps often have pretty wide discretion on when/what/how much they can comp in order to generate customer goodwill and perhaps motivate future patronage/loyalty. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options
    Well this thread did not go the way I’d anticapted.   Good Lord and all that.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike