Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jalapeno Poppers

Options
I had my 1st Popper yesterday at my 1st EggFest in Edwardsville.  LOVED IT!!  Now I want to try them.  Looking for some recipe suggestions.  Also, I would be doing these for a 4th of July party.  Need to do them a day or 2 in advance.  Can I do this and if so, how should I reheat them?

Comments

• ceeejay57
    ceeejay57 Posts: 19
    Options
    By the way, these were bacon wrapped and I want to try that way.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    There are many ways to make them. I cut jalapeños in half lengthwise, remove all seeds and veins, stuff with cream cheese and half a little Smokey link, then wrap with half a strip of regular cut bacon. 
     Pro tip is to allow the bacon to warm up a bit so it is vastly more pliable. You can literally flatten it about a bit to increase cove age when wrapping. Once you have them wrapped put your tray back in the fridge and they with firm up and hold their shape. Don’t need a toothpick unless you want one for convenience of handling. I go sans toothpick. 
     I see people using pimento cheese amongst others in lieu of the cream cheese. Also different meats such as pulled pork or brisket under the bacon.  Your imagination is your limit. Good luck! 
  • Eggty
    Eggty Posts: 58
    Options
    There was talk of collecting the recipes from everything made yesterday as we were cleaning up. So maybe be on the look out on the Chef Shoppes Facebook for the recipes. I think he said there was honey in his. So that might give you a start on recipes to look for. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    ABT's as they are referred to around here.  You are only limited by your creativity.  I prep the jalas (wear gloves) as above, split length-wise and devein and remove the seeds.  After that the stuffing is all yours.  My favorite mix is chorizo (fully cooked first) tossed in a blender then mix in habanero cheese to create the filling.  Load the jala, wrap with half a slice of regular thickness bacon and away you go.
    A great dessert version created by @henapple is to load with a piece of dark chocolate and a cherry then bacon wrap and cook.  MPD's (Mexican Panty Droppers).
    You can use about anything for the mixture, sausage, pulled pork, brisket, shrimp, chix etc.  Cheese a matter of personal preference.  Experiment and have fun with 'em.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I will second @lousubcap chorizo and a spicy soft cheese like Boars Head chipotle Gouda is hard to beat. Use thin bacon to wrap. 

But Tony’s MPDs with dark chocolate and marichino cherries will turn heads for a post dinner bite. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I just saw you said you needed to do them a few days in advance. I’m assuming you meant but them together, not cook? 

I wouldnt advise cooking them a hen a day or two before. The jalapeño won’t hold. Worst case you could just cook them in an oven on a wire rack. You will still have better quality than cooking ahead of time. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    I core them whole, blanch them for 45-60 seconds in boiling salt water and pipe them with a cream cheese, sundried tomato and add a little cilantro and garlic. 

Pre cook the bacon for abkut 10 min starting cold in the oven and the wrap the peppers. 

Put it on egg and hit with a ton of apple wood for smoked applewood bacon. About 30 min indirect at 350
  • JustOneOfTheGuys
    Options
    I’ve had some with a butterflied shrimp nestled between the cream cheese and bacon. Man were they great.  A bit of scallion and DP in the CC makes it nice and tastie.
    Southwestern CT
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,975
    Options
    I just saw you said you needed to do them a few days in advance. I’m assuming you meant but them together, not cook? 

I wouldnt advise cooking them a hen a day or two before. The jalapeño won’t hold. Worst case you could just cook them in an oven on a wire rack. You will still have better quality than cooking ahead of time. 
    He’s right.  And they don’t take all that long to cook on the Egg anyway, maybe 30 minutes or so once it’s rolling.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike