Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pellets

Options
WWW2B
WWW2B Posts: 6
I'm new, only had my Egg a couple of months and I'm on my second bag of charcoal.  I bought a big bag of Hickory Pellets at Walmart the other day.  They are for the Traegar Grill.    I guess they are the "fuel" for the Traegar.  I didn't realize that when I bought them.  Are they different than the small bags of pellets that you use for flavor.  I should of known something was wrong with such a big bag for only $8.  Can I still use them on my Egg?

Comments

• PoppasGrill
    PoppasGrill Posts: 356
    Options
    I have never tried them, but a friend of mine would get the cherry pellets and sprinkle them in the lump like I do the wood shavings for smoke. He never complained about anything happening from them.
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I use one of these in my MES & I’ve seen where others use them on the Egg.  They are also great if you plan on doing any cold smoking.  A-maze-N tube smoker.

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    I use one of these in my MES...
    What's a MES?

WWW2B said:
    ... I bought a big bag of Hickory Pellets at Walmart the other day.  They are for the Traegar Grill.    I guess they are the "fuel" for the Traegar.... Can I still use them on my Egg?
    They're both fuel AND smoke for the Traeger, and, though I've never tried pellets in my Egg, I'm sure I've heard of people on this forum doing that and saying it worked fine!  I'd use them and expect it to be fine!
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I use them in my A MAZ N works fine....dump it on hot coals be prepared for Black Smoke.....dont ask me how I know this 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    I use them in my A MAZ N works fine....dump it on hot coals be prepared for Black Smoke.....dont ask me how I know this 
    Lol. I light the amazn and put it on the platesetter and it smoke away nicely 
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Lol. I light the amazn and put it on the platesetter and it smoke away nicely 
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Theophan said:
    SSQUAL612 said:
    I use one of these in my MES...
    What's a MES?

WWW2B said:
    ... I bought a big bag of Hickory Pellets at Walmart the other day.  They are for the Traegar Grill.    I guess they are the "fuel" for the Traegar.... Can I still use them on my Egg?
    They're both fuel AND smoke for the Traeger, and, though I've never tried pellets in my Egg, I'm sure I've heard of people on this forum doing that and saying it worked fine!  I'd use them and expect it to be fine!
    Masterbuilt Electric Smoker...has 4 large racks so my primary use is jerky. 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Masterbuilt Electric Smoker...
    Ah...  thanks!

I had been afraid that once you told me what it was I'd feel dumb for not having known, but I feel much better now!  A bunch of guys have laughed at me for not being up on all of the lingo and acronyms, but I don't feel bad at all not having known that MES was "Masterbuilt Electric Smoker."   :) 

Thanks again.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Many years ago I was given a 10# bag of hickory pellets by a neighbor who was moving. They sat in my garage a few years. By then I had become an egger. Not wanting to waste this freebie (or maybe not knowing any better) I decided to make some "containers" to keep them intact in the coals in what I figured was a controlled burn. Though I made 3 sizes this picture of my smallest one is all I could find. I made them by cutting the bottoms off 2 beer cans. I then drilled some holes in each part and then bent a small dart in one so it would slide in the other one tightly. I would then fill my "puck" as I called them with the pellets and toss it on the hot coals just before adding my meat. They worked fine, but by them I found chips and chunks to be easier!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Why not just sprinkle them on the coals? That’s  what we do with chips. It’s just compressed hardwood, nothing else.