Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Po’ mans burnt ends - Med egg

Gonna be my first attempt tomorrow at po’ mans burnt ends on the medium egg. Got two 3 lb choice chucks at Costco.  I’ll smoke one at a time, due to size constraints and science. 

Plan to use Miller’s Steak Seasoning and sauce from Llano, TX.  Meat market just up the street from coopers. 

Llano, TX   -  Med and XL BGE’s

Comments

• KennyCJR
    KennyCJR Posts: 262
    Any tips?
  • never done burnt ends with chuckie (or brisket for that matter) but I'm interested in your results. We have done pulled beef with chuckie many times and that has always turned out great. Never really thought to cube it up and do burnt ends. one way to find out...
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Treat it like a brisket. Cook until 160-170, then cube, return to smoker until tender.  Sauce a few times in a pan once cubed.  You’ll be surprised it will take a decent amount of time like a brisket.

Treat it as a brisket, best piece of advice one can give.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    never done burnt ends with chuckie (or brisket for that matter) but I'm interested in your results. We have done pulled beef with chuckie many times and that has always turned out great. Never really thought to cube it up and do burnt ends. one way to find out...
    I was waiting for the "Chuckie must die".....

We like pot roast style; brown it in a CI dutchy add some broth and slather the browned chuck roast with horseradish, braise like a standard pot roast, covered. 
    Must try the @RedSkip suggestion of cooking to 160ºor so, cube and sauce and cook some more. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • never done burnt ends with chuckie (or brisket for that matter) but I'm interested in your results. We have done pulled beef with chuckie many times and that has always turned out great. Never really thought to cube it up and do burnt ends. one way to find out...
    I was waiting for the "Chuckie must die".....

We like pot roast style; brown it in a CI dutchy add some broth and slather the browned chuck roast with horseradish, braise like a standard pot roast, covered. 
    Must try the @RedSkip suggestion of cooking to 160ºor so, cube and sauce and cook some more. 
    I think it was “chuckle must burn” but it was a while ago. 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    Not enough fat, good luck. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • KennyCJR
    Hit the stall and about to wrap it up for few hours.  Didn’t get the bark I wanted, but they’ll go for a few more hours out of the foil later on, before I cube it up. 

• KennyCJR
    I’m really enjoying this egg. So much easier to control than my old offset smoker, and it doesn’t leak heat or smoke from everywhere.  I’m convinced I need a bigger table mounted one. Not sure if the XL would be too big though?
  • Dobie said:
    Not enough fat, good luck. 
    There is more fat and connective tissue in a chuckle than most briskets. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    No worries, things will darken up in stage 2.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• KennyCJR
    They are getting there.  I’m really lacking in the presentation department.  :i_dunno:

• KennyCJR
    Hhmmmmm.... meat candy 

• Looks pretty good. I did them once and some were good and some weren’t. 

Little Rock, AR

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    KennyCJR said:
    I’m really enjoying this egg. So much easier to control than my old offset smoker, and it doesn’t leak heat or smoke from everywhere.  I’m convinced I need a bigger table mounted one. Not sure if the XL would be too big though?
    No ,, it wouldn't be to big.
    It'd be just right.  ;)
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ