Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-OT The greatest race horse of all-time. 45 years ago Saturday-Worth the watch

Options
lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,524
There are many forum members who likely are not into horse racing -even with a potential Triple Crown winner running Saturday.  With American Pharaoh claiming Triple Crown 12 in 2015 the attention for this shot has somewhat doiminished.
What follows is a link to the greatest race horse of all-time completing the Triple Crown in 1973 (25 years since Citation):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V18ui3Rtjz4 
BTW- Big Red still owns the track records for all three Triple Crown races.
Thank you for looking.  
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Options
    I can give you 1 person who will be watching this Saturday! I told the wife that i hated that she had to have another surgery...but that her timing was excellent. 3 days of dependent care sick leave!
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    Big Red was the “Ric Flair” of horse racing. Truly the greatest. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    Brother Cap, here is something that may be of interest to you. A few years ago I saw a special about Secretariat (not sure what the name of it was though). They were saying that Secretariats times are actually off by a couple of seconds. They played real time video of Secretariats races and timed them the way races are timed today and every time Secretariats time was a few seconds lower than what was credited. 
    With that said, the times will always stand “as is”, but it’s a shame if Secretariat was beat out of even one second. 
    If the name of that show comes to mind I will post it so you can watch it. It’s very interesting if nothing else. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    edited June 2018
    Options
    You are indeed correct. Saw Secretariat (not Citation) in Stud days at Claiborne Farms in gods country. Amazingly beautiful horse. Still on top. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    edited June 2018
    Options
    @SGH- thanks for that.  I saw him run as a two year old at Saratoga.  I will never forget the sight when I first saw him on the track, man among boys came to mind.
    The only race where I know the timers/official clocks were challenged was the Preakness and that eventually got sorted out.  Regardless, talk about greatness!  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I grew up on a horse farm (Morgans) close to where he was foaled.  Even as a kid, I watched the three big races. Per Wiki--“On his way to a still-standing Derby track record of 1:59​2⁄5 Secretariat ran each quarter-mile segment faster than the one before it. The successive quarter-mile times were :25​1⁄5, :24, :23​4⁄5, :23​2⁄5, and :23. This means he was still accelerating as of the final quarter-mile of the race.

If my math is correct, he was doing 39 MPH in the final quarter.

Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     Crazy to think that Sham, the horse that ran second to Secretariat in all three triple crown legs, would likely have been a triple crown winner in any other year. He was that good. Just not the best of all time like Big Red.

LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Shameless bump because tomorrow (6/9)  is the 45th anniversary.  
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    Without a doubt, GOAT!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,366
    Options
    He had a good life after all those wins!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options

Secretariat was certainly one of the greatest, if not the GOAT.

I don't see winning by 30+ lengths a great race. A great performance, but not much of a race. Kind of like saying the 49ers Super Bowl win over the Broncos was a great game. 

Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Options

I don't see winning by 30+ lengths a great race. A great performance, but not much of a race. Kind of like saying the 49ers Super Bowl win over the Broncos was a great game. 

Greatest "race horse" not Greatest "horse race"

Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    Very cool race.  Congrats to Justify!  But Gronk?
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Justify was running at 1.1 HP today.
    Options
    Never saw Gronk in any mix- on to Haskell, Travers and the Breeder's Cup.
    Justify ran a great race- Mike Smith deserves a lot of credit for the ride.  
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options

Greatest "race horse" not Greatest "horse race"

Thank you for bringing that to my attention!
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!