Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Texas Restaurants

Options
Over the years you have helped me find some good BBQ when I get the chance to travel.  Well, I hit the mother-load this time.  Austin Texas for 4 days and Dallas for 3 end of June.  I know some places in Austin and Lockhart such as Blacks BBQ, Smitty's, Kreuz Market, Franklin BBQ, La Barbecue and Pecan Loge in Dallas.  But there must be another 20 or so that are so good  other than these usual I read about and see on TV?  Looking mostly for smoked meats like beef ribs and brisket, some sausage.  But would love to try a true BBQed steak one night.  Oh, and I gotta try In and Out burger.  Yes, I look to have triple bypass when I get home!

Thanks,
Howard

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    In and out in Texas- asking for trouble :)

Seem to be pretty partial to Whataburger in that part of the country

but either way you are in for some great bbq and Tex-mex
    Greensboro, NC
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    There is a place called cattleacks bbq here in dallas that is rated number 3 behind franklins. It’s only open thursday, Friday and the 1st Saturday of the month. Gotta get there about 9am to get a decent spot and they don’t open till 10:30am. The number one bbq in Texas is Snows in Lexington near austin. As far as Tex-mex there are tons of different places. In Austin chuys is always decent. In Dallas well really it’s in ft worth but for ambiance go to joe t garcias. Also yes whataburger is king here. Be sure to get the spicy ketchup. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• TEXASBGE2018
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Also if you want a bbqed steak you can go to coopers in Llano or there is also one in ft worth. They sell a smoked ribeye that is freaking amazing. Also for Tex-mex up here in dallas go to La Hacienda Ranch and get the steak fajitas and be prepared to go into a food coma. They also invented the frozen margarita machine 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• KennyCJR
    KennyCJR Posts: 262
    Options
    Check out the Truck Yard. It’s a cool spot with different food trucks rotating in and out.  They post what’s going and the trucks that’ll be there here —> https://truckyarddallas.com/
    Llano, TX   -  Med and XL BGE’s
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Hey, don't forget the Tex Mex. You can get BBQ anywhere
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Hotch said:
    You need to find a Whataburger not an In and Out!
    I yelled this at my iPhone as I read this post. 

Stay out of communist In and Out. 

Whataburger. Jalapeño spicy ketchup changed my culinary and bedroom life. #noregrets

The rest of the lineup is solid. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I’d go to https://www.valentinastexmexbbq.com/ if I was in Austin. For breakfast and lunch! Get the Real Deal Holyfield for breakfast and brisket tacos for lunch. 
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Hotch said:
    I’d go to https://www.valentinastexmexbbq.com/ if I was in Austin. For breakfast and lunch! Get the Real Deal Holyfield for breakfast and brisket tacos for lunch. 
    This. 

The tortillas made from scratch are reason enough to go. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    caliking said:
    Hotch said:
    This. 

The tortillas made from scratch are reason enough to go. 
    Yeah Valentina’s is magical. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I've always enjoyed Hard 8 in Dallas, even though it's a chain I think. Went to a French bistro called "The Grape" on a recent trip that was kinda charming.  Also enjoyed "The Knife" steakhouse in downtown Dallas. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    100% do what @Hotch and @caliking said! VI and I was there Thursday and (IMO) the very best BBQ in the city. Absolutely the best beef ribs. I set there and ate a 2 lb beef rib for lunch Thursday. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hotch
    Options
    Hard 8 is just ok and over priced. They have a weird tasting BBQ sauce I don't care for.
    Some of the Best Q is at Hutchins BBQ in McKinney. A Texas Monthly Top Q for a while. 
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch
    Options
    And if you like Tex Mex Joe T. Garcia’s in Fort Worth is a great place to go.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • yankeefan
    yankeefan Posts: 42
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    In and out in Texas- asking for trouble :)

Seem to be pretty partial to Whataburger in that part of the country

but either way you are in for some great bbq and Tex-mex
    Wow, forgot all about Tex Mex, that should be a good relief from BBQ.  Thanks for the suggestion.
  • yankeefan
    Options
    Hotch said:
    You need to find a Whataburger not an In and Out!
    I yelled this at my iPhone as I read this post. 

Stay out of communist In and Out. 

Whataburger. Jalapeño spicy ketchup changed my culinary and bedroom life. #noregrets

The rest of the lineup is solid. 
    Oh, didn't know that.  It's like Pat's and Geno's Cheesesteak war here in Philly.
  • yankeefan
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  I look forward to spending a week in a state I have wanted to do a BBQ foodie tour for quite a long, long time.  
  • SonVolt
    Options
    I went to Dallas recently for work and fully expected cowboy hats, WWF size belt buckles and tumbleweeds. I was surprised what I saw was mostly Indian immigrants, cookie-cutter tract housing and miles of industrial/business parks. Maybe Dallas doesn't best represent the Texas as told on TV. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Raceredi
    Raceredi Posts: 21
    Options
    My wife and I just spent a few days in Austin last week. Good times. Louie Mueller in Taylor is well worth the drive. 

Monrovia, Maryland -

BGE-XL, M, MiniMax

Smoker-Pitmaker Vault & Edge Double Axle Trailer

Gas/Duel Fuel-American Muscle Grill 36, Otto Wilde OFB, Blackstone 36'', Firemagic Monarch Magnum

SteakLocker Dry Ager and way too many extras / accessories for everything else.

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    I went to Dallas recently for work and fully expected cowboy hats, WWF size belt buckles and tumbleweeds. I was surprised what I saw was mostly Indian immigrants, cookie-cutter tract housing and miles of industrial/business parks. Maybe Dallas doesn't best represent the Texas as told on TV. 
    It hasn’t been that way since the 1800s. We also don’t all ride horses to work. But in certain parts you will see the cowboy hats and belt buckles.. don’t worry we make fun of them too.

• SonVolt
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    It hasn’t been that way since the 1800s. We also don’t all ride horses to work. 

Sad! 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    edited June 2018
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    SonVolt said:
    It hasn’t been that way since the 1800s. We also don’t all ride horses to work. 

Sad! 

Its also funny that the TV Show Dallas was filmed at Southfork Ranch here. Its still there but its surrounded by those Tract homes you speak of on every side. Just this little 100 acre piece of property with tract homes all around.

• SonVolt
    Options
    When I say Dallas it was actually the Irving area... not sure if Dallas proper is the same way I described. 
  • jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    Options
    Dammit @TEXASBGE2018, you dun spilt the beans on our horseless carriage secrets!  Sheriff gon' take yer belt buckle fer sure now, son.
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • jdkeithbge
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    @SonVolt you gotta head on over to Fort Worth for the tumbleweeds and cowboy hats.  Also some very nice tract homes.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Dammit @TEXASBGE2018, you dun spilt the beans on our horseless carriage secrets!  Sheriff gon' take yer belt buckle fer sure now, son.
    Just gotta make it clear to everyone. We have people come from overseas daily at my job here and honestly some of them think everyone lives on a ranch and owns a horse. I have to explain to them that I live in a regular house and drive a Toyota. Their eyes get as big a saucers.

• SonVolt
    Options
    Speaking of Dallas... what's your thoughts on Hard 8? Good? Bad? Gimmick? I loved it... but that was my first experience with Texas-style BBQ in Texas. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Speaking of Dallas... what's your thoughts on Hard 8? Good? Bad? Gimmick? I loved it... but that was my first experience with Texas-style BBQ in Texas. 

Hard 8 is ehh. Sometimes good sometimes not. If you are in this area next time try to make it to Cattleack BBQ in Addison. Its rated #3 in the state behind Franklin BBQ which in my opinion is BBQ Mecca. Also there is a place in Ft. Worth called Heim BBQ. The Bacon Burnt ends are awesome. You can try Pecan Lodge also but its kinda past its prime.

• jdkeithbge
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I think @Hotch is correct, Hard 8 is overrated and overpriced.  For your money there is better BBQ in DFW.  I believe the original Hard 8 is out in Stephenville, which is basically where I grew up, about 2.5 hrs southwest of DFW.

Edit: I'll second @TEXASBGE2018 on Heim BBQ in Fort Worth, it is excellent.  I've also been to Cattleack and it was very good, though there was quite a line for a while.  I get their weekly emails and it seems the lines have died down a bit the past few months.
  • jdkeithbge
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    When I say Dallas it was actually the Irving area... not sure if Dallas proper is the same way I described. 
    Irving does have a large Indian population, so that may have skewed your experience.  However if you're looking for good Indian food and/or markets, it's the place to go.