Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not trying to start something, just sharing

JMCXL
JMCXL Posts: 1,524

And yes thats Home Depot, this was from a store in MA
Northern New Jersey
 XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Its always that price here in Dallas.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• JMCXL
    Its always that price here in Dallas.
    everything is bigger and better in Texas
    Northern New Jersey

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Follow me on Facebook 

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited June 2018
    Every time someone starts with 'not trying to start anything', I presume they are trying to start something. =)
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    It's started. 

Watch and learn.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• JMCXL
    Some like it ( I use it) and that’s a good price. That’s all
    Northern New Jersey

Follow me on Facebook 

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    I like it.....I do wonder out,out of curiosity, seems some that have a problem getting it to stabilize live in humid climates where natural off gassing is a bit slower, I am in a dry hot climate and just don't see the bad experiences with it...Just curious how much the ambient conditions affect it
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    One of these weekends they will have it for $7.99 (2 days only while supply lasts).  Keep your eyes open for that sale!
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Cowboy 4 lyfe
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,943
    lkapigian said:
    I like it.....I do wonder out,out of curiosity, seems some that have a problem getting it to stabilize live in humid climates where natural off gassing is a bit slower, I am in a dry hot climate and just don't see the bad experiences with it...Just curious how much the ambient conditions affect it
    Royal Oak has many different suppliers that bag for them.  Some operations seem to have a higher quality product and thus certain areas of the country get better RO.

Moral of the story: try it, if you like it, keep using it.

I use RW for important cooks, but usually get RO when it is cheap and use it too.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    lkapigian said:
    Royal Oak has many different suppliers that bag for them.  Some operations seem to have a higher quality product and thus certain areas of the country get better RO.

Moral of the story: try it, if you like it, keep using it.

I use RW for important cooks, but usually get RO when it is cheap and use it too.
    My Royal Oak was dreadful for awhile. Almost got the permanent cut. My supply has been better the last couple of years. Rockwood for the premiums and Royal Oak for the regulars...works for me
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    I miss getting skids of the RO Steakhouse lump at Menard's for $3/bag.  

This is the best deal out there for lump IMO.  Pretty much the only thing I go to HD for.

I have tried all of the forum flavors of the month, and I always come back to RO.

Same goes for briqs and Kingsford.  Tried many fancy flavors, and always come back to blue K.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    The best for prime rib. 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    I burn about maybe 200lbs of lump a year. After spending what I have on 2 eggs and toys I’m not quibbling over spending an extra $100 or so a year to burn RW. I don’t want to have to pick over my lump so I get a good fire. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2018
    All of my cook's are premiums, not neutral tasting, so yes. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    My closest supplier of lump is ACE hardware. They have Cowboy and Rockwood. Easy decision.
  • jwc6160
    jwc6160 Posts: 218
    GrillSgt said:
    I burn about maybe 200lbs of lump a year. After spending what I have on 2 eggs and toys I’m not quibbling over spending an extra $100 or so a year to burn RW. I don’t want to have to pick over my lump so I get a good fire. 
    Haha. I wish I could pull off those mental gymnastics. I have 2 eggs and paid to have them built into an outdoor grilling area. I still can’t justify paying almost 3 times as much for a bag of charcoal. 
  • Boss_Hog
    Boss_Hog Posts: 11
    I found a meteorite from the kuiper belt in a bag of Royal Oak one time.  

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Get that deal on some Cowboy and get back to me!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    edited June 2018
    jwc6160 said:
    GrillSgt said:
    Haha. I wish I could pull off those mental gymnastics. I have 2 eggs and paid to have them built into an outdoor grilling area. I still can’t justify paying almost 3 times as much for a bag of charcoal. 
    It’s probably closer to double considering the RO is only a 15.44lb bag but I understand your point. I can easily justify the extra expense but not everyone can/wants to. That’s the beauty of it. There’s something for everyone. 
  • BobDanger
    BobDanger Posts: 323
    I bought 2 bags yesterday at Home Depot...only choices here on ESVA are RO or cowboy.

I ttried a bag of the western...won’t buy that again.
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806

Man, don't get all the RO hate.  It's as good as anything I've used.....or at least no noticeable difference and cheaper since it's always that price here.  And yes, I've used OO, RW and BGE.

I'd buy RW if it was available anywhere even close to where I am if for no other reason to support a forum member.  But it's not, so RO it is. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    I started my last bag of RO this past weekend, after my FIRST bag of Rockwood, for which I finally now have a local dealer.  
    I was surprised at how long it took for the smoke to clear; not even sure I'll finish the bag.  RW is more expensive, but since a single brisket lasts me for 8-10 meals, I just don't use that much lump; might as well get the good stuff.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Stubby
    Stubby Posts: 134
    The only thing I noticed with the bag of RO I had purchased is the bottom of the bag has some real small and poppy lump. I had no other problems with it.. I do have a bag of Rockwood to use and can't wait. 
    XL.......for now

Kernersville, NC
  • I’m getting OO for $12/20lb bag. I’m happy with that. 

Little Rock, AR

• jimdgreat1
    jimdgreat1 Posts: 175
    Boss_Hog said:
    I found a meteorite from the kuiper belt in a bag of Royal Oak one time.  

Holy cow! Those bring big money! Wish I was that lucky.

XLBGE - LBGE - Charbroil gasgrill

Wichita Kansas