Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Propane Toch as a Starter

Options
TXSamIam
TXSamIam Posts: 32
edited June 2018 in EggHead Forum
My BGE isn't near and electric outlet so I can't use any of the starters that run on electricity.  Is anyone using the benzomatic Propane torches as a starter?  If so how does it work?

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Yes, that'll work well.  Most often i just use an oiled paper towel, which is another easy option ( and plentifull if you have a blackstone).

Phoenix 
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    I have been using the jj George grill torch with propane and it works great.  I was using the fire starting cubes since I ran out had them laying around, I have noticed I can get it up to temp a lot quicker with the torch.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• Zeiger88
    Zeiger88 Posts: 171
    Options
    This is what I use because it doesn’t go out when upside down 
    BGE XL June 2017 Flameboss 300 February 2018 Mini max July 2018 Lima, Ohio 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Bernzomatic TS-8000 torch with standard propane (Map-Pro gas costs 3x as much and accomplishes nothing). Been using it since 2009. The 8000 because it works well when inverted. A cylinder lasts a long time. Works great.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• hogfan412
    hogfan412 Posts: 75
    Options
    I've used it.   In your situation I like the Weber Light things - like candles.   They work well and are cheap.    Never had good luck with oil and paper towels.    The Weber things are cheap enough on Amazon.
  • OshawaDave
    OshawaDave Posts: 198
    Options
    I used my propane torch on the weekend because my BGE starter cubes were damp. The torch worked fine, but, I still prefer the fire started cubes.

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I tried a (regular) propane torch years ago and had a lot of trouble with it when I'd turn it upside down to light a fire in the Egg.  They're not made for that.  It kept choking on me.

Then I bought a MAPP torch, and it worked like a champ.  I kept hearing people claim that propane works just as well in them, so what I'm using now IS propane, and it works fine (I actually do think I liked it a little better with the MAP gas, though), and it works quite well.  I think what you need isn't so much the different gas but a torch that's designed better for being used upside down.  In my experience, anyway, a "regular" propane torch doesn't work well because it's not designed to be used pointing downward.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,758
    Options
    still in the chimney camp---I feel it gives me a running start once dumped in the egg, and I just use old un burnt lump
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• jwc6160
    jwc6160 Posts: 218
    Options
    I got a propane weed burner on discount a few years ago at Lowe’s and haven’t looked back. Hit the lump in a few spots for a minute or so and I’m good. 
  • Grillinois
    Grillinois Posts: 165
    Options

I've used a weed burner with propane for quite a while now.  It keeps you farther from the pieces of lump that pop and shoot embers at you.  One bottle of propane lasts for months.

Joliet, IL
    Large, Mini, Stoker, Smobot
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Mapp (discontinued about 10 years ago), Flame temp 5300° I think, though that may have been with oxygen. And it doesn't matter anyway.

Map-Pro, 3730°, $11/14.1 oz

Propane, 3600°, $3.12/16 oz

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    Just recently got the JJGeorge and love it.  Lights so much faster than stater cubes
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • Sandor181
    Sandor181 Posts: 4
    Options
    Since getting my BGE about six weeks ago, I've been using the same small propane soldering cylinder with the Trigger Start Torch to light it up.  It usually takes about thirty seconds to a minute to get a spot started, then I close the lid with the bottom vent and daisy wheel wide open.  It take a couple minutes and then the dome thermometer will start to show the rise in temp.  I also check through the opening of the daisy wheel to make sure I gave the torch enough time to get a spot glowing.

Of the twenty or so times that I've fired it up, I only had to go back once to re-light and I think it's because it was the end of the bag of lump, which choked out the air with too many small pieces.  

I like it a lot more than using the fire starter blocks, but have those as a back up.  I thought I'd go through the propane a lot faster, but my original cylinder is hanging tough!
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    What Grillinois said.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I use a weed torch - works well.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• jwc6160
    jwc6160 Posts: 218
    Options

I've used a weed burner with propane for quite a while now.  It keeps you farther from the pieces of lump that pop and shoot embers at you.  One bottle of propane lasts for months.

This is exactly what I have. Works great. 
  • smokeybreeze
    smokeybreeze Posts: 216
    Options
    I've used MAPP gas, Propane, wax fireplace starters, oiled paper towels, methanol, and other starters, but my fail-safe go-to starter is the MAPP or Propane torch to light 3 areas of the lump to get the best burn for up to 24+ hours of leave it and forget it temperature control.

YMMV
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    Zeiger88 said:
    This is what I use because it doesn’t go out when upside down 

What I've been using since I got the Egg.....25-30 seconds in 3 spots around the perimeter and it's ready to go in 10 minutes.  And a can of the blue propane lasts for at least 6 months@ $4 a pop and I cook 3-5x a week.

You'll love it. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Grillinois
    Grillinois Posts: 165
    Options
    Not to bang the standard torch head but the weed burner is around the same price and it keeps the gas cylinder upright. It might be a unitasker but it works for lighting lump. 
    Joliet, IL
    Large, Mini, Stoker, Smobot