Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Tuscan" style spare ribs

Options
Theophan
Theophan Posts: 2,654
I've been craving ribs, but somehow didn't want my usual barbecue-style ribs.  I found two similar recipes by Bruce Aidells for ribs with no BBQ-style seasonings, no sauce, etc., but with fennel seed, sage, rosemary, etc., and thought I'd give one a try.  It was very, very different than any spare ribs I've ever had, don't think I'd want to have them all the time, but they were a really great change of pace.  Tasted a lot like roast pork with a lot of herbs instead of barbecue spare ribs.  I did use 3 small chunks of pecan wood, and they were lightly smoky.  This one was called Grilled Spareribs with Fennel Seeds and Herbs.  I loved it!  The other one is similar, but has a balsamic glaze at the end.  It sounds yummy, too, and I definitely will try it one of these days: Tuscan-Style Spareribs with Balsamic Glaze.

Here it is raw with the herbs, etc., about to go in the fridge overnight:

Here it is about to come off the Egg:

And here are the ribs cut up:

Comments

• CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options
    Looks great! Nice change of pace from the bbq style 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Great crust/bark on those.  However you get there is all that counts.  Way to step out of the comfort zone and bring it home.  Congrats.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Looks great.

It can be hard to step away from our usual recipes to try something different. I recently made these Asian baby backs (albeit adapted for the Egg, rather than slow cooker) and they were fantastic. They got rave reviews from my guests (and wife, which is rare!).
    https://therecipecritic.com/slow-cooker-sticky-asian-ribs-sticky-sauce/
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    WOW! Looks Amazing!  I bet they smell & taste great.  What temp & did you foil or spritz?
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • Theophan
    Options
    Many thanks for the kind comments!

@GrateEggspectations: the baby back recipe sounds great (on the Egg, of course -- I can't think very many people who've had properly smoked ribs would ever want them from a slow cooker).  I bet they were great!

And @SSQUAL612: No foiling or spritzing (first of all, I'm lazy, second of all, I've always loved the ribs I make without any of that, so I haven't had much incentive to change).  And they cooked most of the time around 250°-275°, but the last hour or so, I cranked it up to 350° or so because I was getting hungry and wanted to hurry them up.  I occasionally overcook ribs, and don't mind them a little crispy, but this time I paid closer attention and they were just the way I love them, plenty juicy.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Outstanding Sir!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Looks great. I'm a little surprised it tasted somewhat like a pork roast. Looking at the recipe, it is a little lighter on salt than average, and I see there is no sugar, which is in many contemporary BBQ pork rub blends.
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Good call. At Casa Teefus we often use Penzey's Bavarian Seasoning on pork. It's a blend of crushed brown mustard, rosemary, garlic, thyme, bay leaf and sage. I hit the meat with a little olive oil, kosher salt, and then a liberal application of the seasoning. It makes for great savory bark. So far we've used it on roasts, butt, and tenderloins. I see some St. Louis ribs happening next weekend.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Theophan
    Options
    gdenby said:
    Looks great. I'm a little surprised it tasted somewhat like a pork roast. Looking at the recipe, it is a little lighter on salt than average, and I see there is no sugar, which is in many contemporary BBQ pork rub blends.
    Now that you mention it, they weren't as salty as some I've had.  I liked it the way it was, though, and wouldn't increase it.  And the absence of sugar was sort of the point, for me -- I was craving ribs but was sort of tired of my usual sweetish BBQ style ribs, and I wanted something that was savory and not sweet at all.  This fit that bill.  I think I'd prefer BBQ-style ribs, especially my favorite bourbon sauce ribs from Smoke & Spice, and other BBQ-style ones, most of the time, but this was definitely a nice change.  I definitely will try the other recipe too, one of these days.

Teefus said:
    Good call. At Casa Teefus we often use Penzey's Bavarian Seasoning on pork. It's a blend of crushed brown mustard, rosemary, garlic, thyme, bay leaf and sage. I hit the meat with a little olive oil, kosher salt, and then a liberal application of the seasoning. It makes for great savory bark. So far we've used it on roasts, butt, and tenderloins. I see some St. Louis ribs happening next weekend.
    That blend does sound similar, and sounds really good!  Hope to hear about it on the ribs!
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    Those look great!!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Theophan said:
    Now that you mention it, they weren't as salty as some I've had.  I liked it the way it was, though, and wouldn't increase it.  And the absence of sugar was sort of the point, for me -- I was craving ribs but was sort of tired of my usual sweetish BBQ style ribs, and I wanted something that was savory and not sweet at all.  This fit that bill.  I think I'd prefer BBQ-style ribs, especially my favorite bourbon sauce ribs from Smoke & Spice, and other BBQ-style ones, most of the time, but this was definitely a nice change.  I definitely will try the other recipe too, one of these days.

If you like a little heat, try Ethiopian Berbere. The kind I've been using is not quite as hot as DP Swamp Venom, and the flavor is more complex. Depending on the mix, and the amount, you might want some cooling yogurt or sour cream on the side.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    They look excellent! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Dude...

Those look awesome. Great change of pace. I like the texture of the spices. 

I'm with you. I love traditional ribs but every now and then you just gotta change it up.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Looks great. That'd be good on some lamb chops or even a pork butt too I bet. I've been meaning to do a similar Tuscan recipe for "Porchetta" using Turkey breast. 

http://www.mariobatali.com/recipes/tuscan-style-turkey-porchetta/
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Theophan
    Options
    gdenby said:
    If you like a little heat, try Ethiopian Berbere...
    You know, I just got some of that recently, haven't been sure what to try it on. That sounds like a great idea -- thanks!
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Looks great.

It can be hard to step away from our usual recipes to try something different. I recently made these Asian baby backs (albeit adapted for the Egg, rather than slow cooker) and they were fantastic. They got rave reviews from my guests (and wife, which is rare!).
    https://therecipecritic.com/slow-cooker-sticky-asian-ribs-sticky-sauce/
    Just saved this, thank you for sharing!
    @the@Theophan    Thank you for sharing, I love going outside of the box.  Saving yours as well!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Those look pretty tasty!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    that looks delicious - nice change up!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options