Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilling Journal

Options
Do folks keep a journal or a diary of all their cooks? 
Date, weather, temp, rubs, prep - marinade and sauces? Charcoal?

how good was it? Over/under cooked? What could have been done better? What experiments could be tried?

i haven’t been doing this and regret the information and knowledge I’ve lost.

Im going to set one up today and wonder does anyone have a template they use that’s been successful for them?

thanks! 

Grillin Sailor

Comments

• CincyTiki
    CincyTiki Posts: 346
    Options
    I am a fan of keeping notes and use Microsoft OneNote on my iPhone and iPad for it. 
    if you want a conventional written log, this might get you started.
    https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/more-cooking-science/use-cooking-log-or-diary

Hope that helps!
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,789
    edited June 2018
    Options
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,363
    Options
    I think it's a good idea. I have tried in the past but just don't have the discipline to do that every time I fire up a grill - I think the last entry in the little moleskine I bought for that purpose was at least two years ago.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,499
    Options
    Not me.  Of course during the course of the journey the trip will have been clouded and influenced by those adult supervisory beverages thus if notes were to be recorded any connection with reality would be left to chance.
    But if you want to do it, have at it, at least for the first go-round with any protein.  At least when someone then asks how do you cook a (protein of choice) you will have solid info to pass along.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Taking notes?  That's like work, right?  I'm sure whatever I would write would be spelled with slurred words.
    Flint, Michigan
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    If a cook is noteworthy to me, something I've never done, or something I've had failures doing, I take photos, and make notes. Often, I'll post these, tho' at this point I haven't had anything really worth posting in some time. So I have a directory of photos showing prep, cooking and finished, usually w. a small text file.

I do have a general cooking diary, mostly notes to self. This worked, this didn't, maybe try this next time.

I do keep an extensive cookbook for everything, including sauces, spice mixes, general parameters, etc. I started it w. a programmers text editor, which allows extensive finds. Also mas text replacements to standardize input. Would have been better to have used a recipe database, but when I started, there weren't any I knew of unless i wrote it myself, and I didn't have time. Several people here have recommended the "Paprika" app, which looks pretty good to me.

• lkapigian
    Options
    I do use the forum as a journal
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I have found over the years that I need to write down sauces and rubs so I can adjust or replicate 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,325
    Options
    I keep a cookbook document in my iMac and iPhone but I am just as likely to search for where I posted it here or some other site.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Wait . . . this forum isn't a journal??
    ^^^^^ This.

Simple stuff doesn't need recording, something special / different and you can record it as a thread on here. Helps others too, win-win.
  • lkapigian
    Options
    I do have a stash of notes in the cupboard , most not labeled, just ingredients with stains blurring the ink for me to figure out what it was supposed to be
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    If I had a dollar for every time I've gone back through my posts to find something from some random thing I made and one of my friends wanted recreated...

Other than that, I have been typing up a recipe book with some pics. Most of the time it's the kitchen cooking that I forget what to do, not the grill. 

P.S. someone suggested this about a year and a half ago. I thought, "great idea".  Drank too much, it got dark, found it water logged a few days later in the backyard. Get a "Write in the Rain" pad if you're hand jammin' it!

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    When I first started using the Big Green Egg, someone suggested keeping a cooking log.  I don't do it anymore, but I did for a number of years, just in a text file, and BOY was it helpful!  Being able to go back and review how I did it last time and what went well and what didn't go so well, what I thought might be good to try next time, very, very helpful!  It's just too easy to think you'll remember, but you don't.  Or at least I don't.

I don't keep that log anymore, partly because I just feel more experienced, now, but also because I use Paprika, a recipe app on my computer and my phone (automatically linked to each other) to keep all of my recipes, and there is a space for notes, so when I do want to write down something that I want to be aware of next time, that's an obvious and very handy place to keep it -- right with the recipe.

We're all different, but whatever way you think might work for you, some way of keeping notes on your cooks can REALLY be helpful!
  • Kcheves
    Kcheves Posts: 92
    Options
    New to the egg, so I’m documenting my successes and failures using Notes on my iPhone.

"Semper ubi sub ubi"

San Diego, CA

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Agree with a few others above. I never “take notes” but I will post something here if I think it’s good/bad/interesteing and may want to revisit. I’m all for taking notes and looking at them if that is your style at work/home/life away from here. I align myself with the note takers at work though :)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • 1WVU
    1WVU Posts: 160
    Options
    I do.  My memory sucks and I like to know what worked, what Rub I used, how long the cook lasted etc.
    Roanoke, VA
    Large BGE Owner
  • Stubby
    Stubby Posts: 134
    Options
    I am keeping notes on my cooks.. 
    XL.......for now

Kernersville, NC
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,515
    Options
    I have three systems going.
    First, when I left home Mom gave me her old metal recipe box (her thoughtful son gave her a nice wooden one the previous christmas), and I hand-wrote my favorite recipes of hers, on recipe cards (which they still make!)  I still use those cards, and there's been good recipes from ex-girlfriends, their moms, newspaper and magazine recipes, even Dear Abby that have been added.  

Second, when I first got a "Dropbox" account, I thought that'd be a neat way to keep recipes.  Some I'd record by hand (my own stuff, magazines/newspapers again) plus copy-pasting from this and other forums, Googlez searches, etc.  I'm not using any kind of recipe/cataloging program, I just label the individual documents (done on Apple's Pages) in a way they'd self-arrange ("Chicken, Jamaican Jerk", "Pork Rub, Beer-Belly Billy's", etc), (this is an old habit from my MS-DOS days).  I can find things pretty quickly; or, if I say pick up some pork chops on sale on the way home, I can scroll down to "Pork, Chops, yadayada" and pick a recipe that sounds interesting, or that I haven't tried yet.  

Finally, I'm a cheese fanatic.  About five years ago my favorite grocer set up a "Cheese Kiosk", which featured 125 different cheeses and always had a sample or two to try; HEAVEN!!  I purchased a small, alphabetized notebook from StaplesYeahWeGotThat, and decided to buy a different cheese every week, and record my notes in this notebook.  I'm still buying a different cheese about every week, but my note-taking is sadly lacking.  Having to repeat a selection ain't such a bad thing....  

"Commander, say hello to Cricket!"  - KN

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,695
    Options
    I keep a brew book for making beer and mead but that’s also nice for specific gravity logs and if I make a killer beer I want to know how I did it!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,515
    Options
    Oh, and I highly recommend one of these, especially that its dropped $10 in price!  

Amazon now has them for $5.95.  The curve in the plastic is just enough to hold a recipe from a magazine, or a printer, upright without "folding" and just the right angle to read; the magnet in the thing is also strong enough to hold a thicker recipe card.  I got mine as a gift, but its so slick I'd still pay $16 for one.  

"Commander, say hello to Cricket!"  - KN

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    I'm keeping notes on the characters on this forum.  Ya never know...
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • H12mike
    H12mike Posts: 134
    Options
    I keep records when using the FlameBoss 300.  The cooks are titled, the temps recorded and your comments can be recorded. Simple and easy to use.

X-Large BGE, DigiQ, ThermaQ (Blue), CyberQ, Joetissirie, UltraQ, (ex.FlameBoss 200)

Highland Village, TX

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,823
    Options
    i just have a stack of recipes with notes all over them, next time i use one there will be more notes because i never cook it the same twice ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    I’m too lazy to even measure most of the time. Sounds good in principle though. 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Sometimes I'm not even sober enough to eat, never the less take notes.  To each their own. 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio