Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I left the Memorial day brisket on the counter for 18 hours...

Options
SonVolt
SonVolt Posts: 3,314
edited May 2018 in Off Topic
I about kicked the neighbor's dog when I got home and realized my mistake. Was eating leftovers last night and totally forgot to put the brisket back in the fridge before going to bed...   I thought long and hard about chunkin' it in the garbage but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. So I chopped it up into 1" cubes and added it to the pot of leftovers cowboy beans and brought it to a hard boil.  Then I ate it. Texas Roulette I guess.  If you don't see me for a few days you'll know why. *burp*
South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 

Comments

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Jacksonville FL
  • SonVolt
    Options
    Hey another Dobe owner. Nice. Mine's named Jack. I fed him the sausage I also left out, so we're in this together. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • SonVolt
    edited May 2018
    Options
    She's beautiful. I wanted to crop the ears but the wife wouldn't let me. 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
     Natural ears are cool. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    You are a brave man!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • SonVolt
    Options
    I'm not feeling so hot. 
  • SonVolt
    Options
    Nevermind, that was just gas. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Say hi to your new friend Sal and his friend Monella
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • johnkitchens
    Options

• SonVolt
    Options
    Here's my line of reasoning before I decided to eat it. The risk of Sal and Monella making an appearance is generally pretty low in beef... plus it's smoked, which I like to tell myself is a form of preservation anyway. And I salted the **** out of it the day before so it had time to permeate and cure a bit. I'm guessing my odds for shittin' my brains out for the next 24 hours are about 70:30 in my favor... we'll see. 
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I hope you will be ok. You and your dog! 

• SonVolt
    Options
    I just snot bubble laughed
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Say hi to your new friend Sal and his friend Monella
    Huh? Are they related to those country cousins Sam & Ella?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • thetrim
    Options
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    Well that was dumb
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    I have to join in. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    My one serious go-round with food poisoning was a few decades ago  but it took around 30 hours to kick-in.  And it arrived with a vengeance.  You could enjoy Friday and then...  Good luck.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Here's my line of reasoning before I decided to eat it. The risk of Sal and Monella making an appearance is generally pretty low in beef... plus it's smoked, which I like to tell myself is a form of preservation anyway. And I salted the **** out of it the day before so it had time to permeate and cure a bit. I'm guessing my odds for shittin' my brains out for the next 24 hours are about 70:30 in my favor... we'll see. 
    Two completely different things:
    • Your odds of being fine are pretty high.  You can do everything wrong and be fine a whole lot of the time.
    • But we're not talking about a small risk of catching a cold.  We're talking about a small risk of being desperately, miserably sick, maybe in the hospital and not for 24 hours but for a week or more, and, since you've identified yourself as an old guy like me, maybe a small risk of DYING a really, really miserable way to die.
    For me, it's just not worth it, and another time, I'd urge you to just pitch the brisket.

And for what it's worth, it's not just salmonella you need to worry about.  E. coli 0157:H7 most definitely can be on and in meat, and tons of other bad bugs.  Some of them make heat-stable toxins that won't go away even if you re-cook the food!

Another time, be safe.  Let the wildest, craziest thing you do be insisting on using your browser fully maximized...
                    [grinning, running and ducking]
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Looked like your family had plenty of land to lay you to rest. Lossa luck!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • thetrim
    Options
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SonVolt
    Options
    Maybe I shouldn't have ate them beans. The symptoms are similar and I may not know what's what. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Maybe I shouldn't have ate them beans. The symptoms are similar and I may not know what's what. 
    Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Wait, did you say eighteen hours? I though you said eighteen minutes.

Hang in there, we'll be here for you. Hope you are OK tomorrow night so you can see what we mean by Friday night.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SonVolt
    Options
    No Butt Blastin' yet.  Fingers crossed...
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    The "should I eat it" threads never fail to entertain.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Entertaining, however, foul. Just, foul.
    I still laugh, loud, hearty, maniacal and profusely. 
    I do hope you and those you shared it with will not have issues.
    Oh yeah, welcome to the forum.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Sorry I clicked on this thread and scrolled
    all the way to the bottom of it....
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Surveyor_Egg
    Options
    when you ask people on the internet whether you should eat something...the answer should always be no....cook another one and have that.  Much better than taking the chance on some microorganism.  good luck.

------

1 Large BGE

Boston, MA