Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Eggspander vs CHS Woo vs Adj rig ... need input what to get

Options
I have a large egg with an 18” keg CI grid with a swivel alloy second level which I do like except for a few things:
1) pizza stone on the second level will bend / collapse the aluminum grid as it’s only supported on one side in high temps 
2) removing the setup with the grid lifter with food on one or both levels is a PITA and recipient to get burned.  access to the fire to add more chunks also a pita 
3) plate setter gaps kinda large, burn ends of ribs when you do 6 racks (3 bottom, 3 top flat)

that 2018 BGE accessory video I saw here a few weeks back looks to solve much of these problems as the second level is solid, everything lifts out and it looks to support to 15” stones eithe half or full moon for a bigger indirect cook.  The info on the availability and pricing on the Eggspander is limited and I’d rather support CGS for what seems like a blatant copy of the Woo and spider combo. 

I am a little torn between the adjustable rig and the woo with spider and second level grid. Not sure the D shape stone and grids provide as much surface area as I already have and I think my BGE platsetter, CI and aluminum grids are rendered obsolete by going to the rig so I’d need to repurchase new grids and have less sq ft. 

I cant see If the KAB works fine with the spider, that two 15 half moons work fine on the spider etc but it seems like the woo is the better option given the reuse of the platsetter and ci/alloy grids. What am I missing?  Appeciate the input 

Comments

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Could get a pswoo CI with extender. 

Little Rock, AR

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    So I’m guessing the “eggspander” is the blatant CGS AR copycat??
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    I think that’s what they call their clone of the woo with spider built in looks like 
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    dharley said:
    CGS, pswoo-ci with extender and sliding D grid. I have this setup and I love it. I have no idea about the quality or usefulness of the BGE gear, so I'm giving this opinion based solely on my policy of not supporting copyright infringement or the fvcking of the little guy.
    Thanks, that’s the direction I am leaning towards. Do you have the spider?  If so, ever try a 15 inch stone on the bottom vs a plate setter?
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Biggreenpharmacist Posts: 4,341
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I have that set up with spider. I dont really use it anymore. I actually gave my platesetter away and ended up buying the triangle and oval stone. I do mostly low and slows and didnt like the way the spider gets real low in the firering and prevented me from filling it as full with lump. The ps works great in the ps woo, though and the extender and sliding d grid is great. 

Little Rock, AR

• unoriginalusername
    unoriginalusername Posts: 1,063
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I have that set up with spider. I dont really use it anymore. I actually gave my platesetter away and ended up buying the triangle and oval stone. I do mostly low and slows and didnt like the way the spider gets real low in the firering and prevented me from filling it as full with lump. The ps works great in the ps woo, though and the extender and sliding d grid is great. 
    Thanks good to know. Would that hold two 17” half moons for even more indirect?  At that point I think I could get rid of the PS also as I wouldn’t need it with the better coverage 

Edit - looks like 16 circular is the largest or go with the one you got. Thanks for the tip 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I really like the oval stone. I like to do ribs and brisket and it really gets rid of the hot spots and keeps the ends from getting direct heat from overhang. 

Little Rock, AR

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    I really like the oval stone. I like to do ribs and brisket and it really gets rid of the hot spots and keeps the ends from getting direct heat from overhang. 
    Good to know. Do the same type of cooks and that’s been my frustration with the plate setter. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    The "EGGstort" may have been a better name.

That's reaching, can anybody come up with anything better??

Edit:  Ohhhh, just thought of this one as i posted.  How about the "EGGfringer"?  
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options
    dharley said:
    CGS, pswoo-ci with extender and sliding D grid. I have this setup and I love it. I have no idea about the quality or usefulness of the BGE gear, so I'm giving this opinion based solely on my policy of not supporting copyright infringement or the fvcking of the little guy.
    Thanks, that’s the direction I am leaning towards. Do you have the spider?  If so, ever try a 15 inch stone on the bottom vs a plate setter?
    No spider. Just the plate setter. I have a pizza stone but only use it on top of the extender for pizza.
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    thanks to all for the support, it's much appreciated. What EGG says the racking system can do, we tested years ago......I feel for the average consumer, as what you see in the store is not always what you can effectively put to use in the backyard.

It's sad the ceramic grill world is becoming so pedestrian, a blur of colored grills with little differentiation....

t    
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    dharley said:
    dharley said:
    No spider. Just the plate setter. I have a pizza stone but only use it on top of the extender for pizza.
    I won't put a full 15" stone inside the fire ring on a large egg.  ID of the fire ring is less than 16".  Nice way to hold heat under the stone.  Wonder if this is why Kamado Joe spent so much time/money on a easier firebox replacement......inquiring minds........

the large spiders are built so you can't put a 15 full or (2) 15 half stone on them when inside the fire ring......but above the fire ring, now that is something totally fun......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MSy73GwnKg
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I’m team @tjv all the way on this deal. Can’t go wrong with any of the setups mentioned above. I have the AR R&B Combo with spider and various stones. I have not found anything it could not do yet. Did a wok cook on an XL PS Woo for a class last week. That’s a cool setup too. Use the force to decide (but buy it from Tom). 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SmokeyLopey
    SmokeyLopey Posts: 435
    Options
    @unoriginalusername Wondering what you finally decided. I'm in a similar place and feel like the more videos I watch, the more confused I become. I will go with CGS, but am not sure which setup. AR R&B looks to be more versatile, but may be more than I need. Woo looks good, too.

I cook pizzas (often two at a time w/ SmokeWare Combo...which I also use when cooking a lot of wings), steaks, chicken, ribs, brisket sausages, etc. Any advice will be appreciated.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options

I have the BGE eggspander (left), the CGS woo setup (middle), and the CGS AR setup (right).  I use the BGE eggspander  the most.  I am a huge CGS fan, but the AR offers more than what I use my egg for.  I would give a tie to the woo and BGE eggspander for functionality, but  the nod goes to CGS woo for price.  I have several other woos in my other eggs, and the AR setup in my XL as well.  CGS stuff is awesome.  But the BGE eggspander is pretty great too, if I am being honest.  It is very simple to use.  The AR is just so many pieces, where the eggspander and woo are basic and work for most cooks.
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    @unoriginalusername Wondering what you finally decided. I'm in a similar place and feel like the more videos I watch, the more confused I become. I will go with CGS, but am not sure which setup. AR R&B looks to be more versatile, but may be more than I need. Woo looks good, too.

I cook pizzas (often two at a time w/ SmokeWare Combo...which I also use when cooking a lot of wings), steaks, chicken, ribs, brisket sausages, etc. Any advice will be appreciated.
    I got the PS Woo, extender, spider, two 15” half moon stones, two 18” SS half moon grids and the KJ CI half moon reversible griddle. Here are my observations 

(1) the half moons offer way more coverage and flexibility than the plate setter. Less likely to get burnt rib tips or brisket edges. 

(2) they use way more charcoal than the PS and seem to create a heat cap. My firebox cracked shortly afterward, might not be related but If you have an egg without a warranty keep this additional stress in your gear in mind. 

(3) mixing and matching systems doesn’t work great. The 18” CI half moon or CGS half grid can’t fit beside the 15” half stone inside the woo on the spider for example. The egg grids have notches cut out to allow them to fit around the structure. The CGS half grids fit on top. 

I bought the CGS gear to support a small business and I am happy with the quality of the product. In the same position again I would look hard at the egg spander given some of the new features and purpose built fitment of additional accessories. 
  • SmokeyLopey
    SmokeyLopey Posts: 435
    Options
    Thanks @unoriginalusername and @cookingdude555; I think it may help to see the different setups in person. Perhaps at EGGtoberfest...if I can wait that long!