Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: if you get mold in your butter crock...

caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731
... pour an ounce or two of vodka in it.  Problem solved. 

Its Friday eve. These are the things that I lose sleep over. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• caliking
    I read the title too fast and saw it as “mold in your butt crack” and thought oh no here we go again.  
    As I said, it's Friday Eve.

What you do with butter,  is yo bidness.

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I read the title too fast and saw it as “mold in your butt crack” and thought oh no here we go again.  
    Easy there big feller.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,939
    Easy there big feller.
    You say that but Party just texted me in a panic asking why her husband is pouring vodka down his backside.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Easy there big feller.
    He's not the only one.
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Okay, serious question: I have had butter from a friend''s butter bell (crock).  I like the idea of room temp butter w/o the oxidation.   Are their dangers here?
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,025
    I thought you put vodka in your Country Crock butter.  Never realized the butter dish was called a crock.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • caliking
    I thought you put vodka in your Country Crock butter.  Never realized the butter dish was called a crock.
    Butter dish=
    Image result for butter dish

Butter crock/bell=

Image result for butter bell

• caliking
    buzzvol said:
    Okay, serious question: I have had butter from a friend''s butter bell (crock).  I like the idea of room temp butter w/o the oxidation.   Are their dangers here?
    Short answer= No. Even if you see some mold in the butter, it won't kill you. Houston water is funky like that. 

Long answer=
    Image result for butter bell

The water seal retards oxidation of the butter. I put ~100g of Kerrygold in the butter crock weekly, and no issues with oxidation or it going rancid.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2018
    Amateur waste of vodka.
    I prefer Nystatin powder, for it's umami compounds.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• caliking
    bgebrent said:
    #alcohol abuse. Drink the vodka. Buy more butter. Sheesh!  
    I do a “butter crock shot” weekly when I replace the butter and vodka :smiley:

you know me better than that.  *cue BB bourbon slushy chug* @Killit_and_Grillit

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    Focker said:
    Amateur waste of vodka.
    In other words you guys each use what you have on hand.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    I've kept butter in an unrefrigerated dish for years (not the same stick), and can't taste anything wrong with it.  I've never seen mold.  I can taste, and prefer, the difference between Kerrygold and Puglia or however you spell it.  FWIW.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    caliking said:
    bgebrent said:
    #alcohol abuse. Drink the vodka. Buy more butter. Sheesh!  
    I do a “butter crock shot” weekly when I replace the butter and vodka :smiley:

you know me better than that.  *cue BB bourbon slushy chug* @Killit_and_Grillit
    Got my evening laugh in. Thanks. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • caliking
    Focker said:
    Amateur waste of vodka.
    who said anything about wasting? See above.

• caliking
    Foghorn said:
    Focker said:
    Amateur waste of vodka.
    Yep. 

• caliking
    Botch said:
    I've kept butter in an unrefrigerated dish for years (not the same stick), and can't taste anything wrong with it.  I've never seen mold.  I can taste, and prefer, the difference between Kerrygold and Puglia or however you spell it.  FWIW.  
    Agreed. But I can pick up a 3 pack of Kerrygold at Costco anytime I’m there twice weekly. 

And mold is life down here :)

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    caliking said:
    Foghorn said:
    Focker said:
    Amateur waste of vodka.
    Yep. 

I'd take that over @Focker's leftover jock itch treatment any day.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    caliking said:
    Focker said:
    Amateur waste of vodka.
    who said anything about wasting? See above.
    The anatomy of your crock intrigues me.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Sounds like someone was a bit excited. Not that ........
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Ima do shot for the Rockets!  Ron Zacapa Rum!  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Dangit @caliking, yet another thing I had to buy.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I've been using a bell for a couple of years now. LOVE IT! Sometimes, I get a spot of green, but mostly, it's all good. Just took a fresh stick out of the fridge as I'm running low in the bell.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    how about just leave the water out of the crock?  

i leave butter on my counter year round, never had any mold on it.  as a bonus, nystatin and vodka are available for their proper uses!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    What happens when it gets a tad warm and the upside down crock of butter bell melts? Watery Butter? Never heard of said butter bell before and quite frankly am a little baffled. Is this a Southern thing, we just keep a butter dish on the counter.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344

A couple decades ago a friend tried to convince me that a butter bell was better but I explained to her that in the 40+ years I've been managing/operating my regular butter dish I've never had problems with mold or rancidity, and perhaps most importantly, I'm too lazy to have to soften a stick of butter and then manually pack it into the bell.

Ain't nobody got time for that.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• TEXASBGE2018
    What happens when it gets a tad warm and the upside down crock of butter bell melts? Watery Butter? Never heard of said butter bell before and quite frankly am a little baffled. Is this a Southern thing, we just keep a butter dish on the counter.
    If you keep butter in a butter dish in Texas you will have mold in about 2-3 days. The water prevents this. For a Southerner this is a game changer. I can now have easily spreadable butter on my toast without ripping through it. It's a miracle of epic proportions. I doubt unless you kept it on top of the stove that you could get it to the point where the butter would melt. Maybe so. All I know is I bought one Friday it was delivered Sunday and I am forever in butter heaven.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    If you keep butter in a butter dish in Texas you will have mold in about 2-3 days. The water prevents this. For a Southerner this is a game changer. I can now have easily spreadable butter on my toast without ripping through it. It's a miracle of epic proportions. I doubt unless you kept it on top of the stove that you could get it to the point where the butter would melt. Maybe so. All I know is I bought one Friday it was delivered Sunday and I am forever in butter heaven.
    Do Texans not live in climate controlled houses?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• TEXASBGE2018
    HeavyG said:
    Do Texans not live in climate controlled houses?
    Yes and we all take horses to work.