Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bourbon question ?

Options
We are having a going away party for our boss this Friday,6/1/18, and we thought we would get him a bottle of his favorite bourbon, Blantons. The problem is no one has in stock or the waiting list is full for when they do get a meager supply here in metro Atlanta. Any recommendations from you bourbon aficionados would be welcome, thanks in advance for your help.
LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
Buford,Ga.

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,344
    Options
    Bookers, knob creek single barrel, and the newly discovered (for me) McKenna are all good. 

I could go on and on 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,381
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Might as well be living where they make the stuff...can barely find it here and that's random.  But let me provide you the following info that may help frame your buy:
    Blanton's mash bill (not public but a good guess) contains 15% rye.
    Eagle Rare 10% rye.
    Four Roses Single Barrel  "E" lettered 20% rye; "B" lettered 35% rye.  
    Remainder of the bill for all are about 5% barley and the remainder corn.  
    More than you likely want to know.

Edit:  If pressed I would go with the Eagle Rare.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Markarm4119
    Markarm4119 Posts: 526
    Options
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the input !
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options
    Maybe Basil Hayden’s?  I think it’s pretty close to Blanton’s in flavor profile.  Bit higher price point, but you should be able to find it.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,381
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina you must be living right as around here the Blanton's is a good $20 /750 ml bottle more.  Basil Hayden is readily accessible here.  I think it is a favorite of @YukonRon when not slushing about.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @JohnInCarolina you must be living right as around here the Blanton's is a good $20 /750 ml bottle more.  Basil Hayden is readily accessible here.  I think it is a favorite of @YukonRon when not slushing about.  
    I think my memory is just fading more than anything else Frank.  

BH is a favorite of mine as well.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    edited May 2018
    Options
    It’s really not the same as Blantons because of how it’s made but Angels Envy is a fine bottle of bourbon. Love the stuff. Can’t go wrong with it. Still not “easy” to find yet a lot easier than Blantons . Angels envy is aged in port wine barrels .
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • RichH
    RichH Posts: 41
    Options
    Get him a bottle of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Smokeware Chimney, Kick Ash basket, Rutland Gasket and BBQ Guru DigiQ

St. Petersburg, FL
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    RichH said:
    ^ This
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    RichH said:
    +1
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I can tell you, that McKenna will do he trick!
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Makers Mark and Makers 46 are my LIFE!! YMMV
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    It is the thought that counts. Somebody gives me a bottle of bourbon, I would appreciate it very much. Should  anybody give me Basil Hayden, just makes the thought better.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Blues2
    Blues2 Posts: 13
    Options
    For perspective I’m Gin normally, need to be in the mood for bourbon/whiskey
    delicious when drinking it-Basil Hayden 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I’m with Ron. If he likes Blantons, get him some Basil Hayden’s.  It’s easy smooth and great in this heat.  

Or if you can find a bottle of Bibb and Tucker (it’s been a new bloomer the past 2 years) it has a similar profile and price point. ($60ish)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    To clarify, I think he means Henry McKenna Single Barrel Bottled in Bond, 10 year.  Not the regular McKenna
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Woadie
    Woadie Posts: 154
    Options
    Thought I would see what all the hype is.  
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    500 said:
    To clarify, I think he means Henry McKenna Single Barrel Bottled in Bond, 10 year.  Not the regular McKenna
    My guess would be that it’ll all get you drunk, but yes, you are correct. 
  • Grillinois
    Grillinois Posts: 165
    Options
    Just tried the Bibb and Tucker. Found it for $45. Very good. I have also tried the McKenna 10 and Basil Hayden’s. For the price point Basil is my favorite.  If youcan find it you might want to try Willett. 
    Joliet, IL
    Large, Mini, Stoker, Smobot