Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Broken leg on convEGGtor ...

...any suggestions on how to repair?

Thanks!!

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Cut it off, then cut off the other two.  Now you have a pizza stone.

Replace the plate setter, or get a Woo, Roswell Rig, or Smokeware raiser using your "new" pizza stone and you're back in business. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Cut the other two off
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I think you can just get a PS woo and carry on. 
  • I think you can just get a PS woo and carry on. 

Little Rock, AR

• smokeybreeze
    smokeybreeze Posts: 216
    JB Weld, if you really want to repair it.
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    As mentioned, cut the others off and get the woo.  I purposely cut the legs off my platesetters as I like the extra surface area they provide over the normal round stone deflector.
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited May 2018
    Well, sir - just for kicks and giggles you might want to read this recent thread discussing the same issue.
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1213626/safe-refractory-cement   
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    Mines been broken for some time, I just set it in place , the grill and food hold it steady
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    I used a PS with a broken leg for about two years. It works just fine in a PSWoo 2 for indirect cooking and the other  way around for a DO to sit on.  I've had a new one in the box for about to years sitting in the garage. Go figure. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    @Lwoodie   Since you are calling a plate setter a convEGGtor, I guessing your egg may not be that old.  Plate setters have a 3 year warranty. If its still under warranty, the best way to repair it is to get a replacement from your dealer.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• PoppasGrill
    PoppasGrill Posts: 355
    Broke mine about 4 months ago and took it back to the store I got it from. They replaced it without too much complaining.
  • pgprescott
    @Lwoodie   Since you are calling a plate setter a convEGGtor, I guessing your egg may not be that old.  Plate setters have a 3 year warranty. If its still under warranty, the best way to repair it is to get a replacement from your dealer.
    Warranty of any item BGE or not usually won’t cover you breaking it. 
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    It's free to ask and the dealer just might warranty it, so I say just ask. I repaired one twice with JB weld it failed eventually.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• pgprescott
    It's free to ask and the dealer just might warranty it, so I say just ask. I repaired one twice with JB weld it failed eventually.
    I suppose I’m from the old school. If you know you broke it and you know it’s not warranty, then it’s just plain wrong to even ask IMO. Your knowledge and intent are the key. Hell, I knocked my own personal PS over and broke it ten years ago. I did not turn it in as a claim. I knocked it over and broke it. Simple as that. People can do whatever they are comfortable with. 
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    I suppose I’m from the old school. If you know you broke it and you know it’s not warranty, then it’s just plain wrong to even ask IMO. Your knowledge and intent are the key. Hell, I knocked my own personal PS over and broke it ten years ago. I did not turn it in as a claim. I knocked it over and broke it. Simple as that. People can do whatever they are comfortable with. 
    Yes you and they can!

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Yes you and they can!
    The forum member who started this post never said he dropped it, only that it's broken and wanted suggestions on repair. I guess we could assume he is at fault and everyone trying to help has no morals.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • pgprescott
    Photo Egg said:
    Yes you and they can!
    The forum member who started this post never said he dropped it, only that it's broken and wanted suggestions on repair. I guess we could assume he is at fault and everyone trying to help has no morals.
    yep. I think that was implied, but as always I could be wrong. See, once I suggested he might have broke it and another said he would ask for a warranty anyway, cuz it's free to ask, that is exactly what I assume.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    I never thought that the plate setter had been broken by an accident, which is why I suggested warranty.  We just read the posting differently.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• JBrown
    JBrown Posts: 1
    edited April 2020
    I know this is way past due for you but could help someone else in the same situation. I purchased a $5 piece of aluminum bar and bent it into place. Has been working like a charm!!

• I just put a tap-con in mine. So far so good...
  • To add: I am new. My daughter got me an LBGE Kit (nest, conveggtor, etc.) for my B-day. I purchased and installed a BGE Nest Utility Rack. While wheeling the egg about, the conveggtor slipped out and broke! I installed the racks per the meager instructions provided. Not much surface area holding it on. It's less than one year old. Dunno where my daughter bought the Egg. Guess I'll contact the manufacturer. Thanks
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @Bennojammin - Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    You should contact your daughter and see where she bought it (he!! of nice gift, BTW) as returns are initially handled thru the dealer.  But going direct to corporate will also work.  You may need proof of purchase and the BGE registered to get traction.  However, there is wide latitude with dealers as to how they pursue claims.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • It’s ceramic.  No matter what you do, it’s eventually going to break.  Just plan for it, and replace it when the time comes.  It’s a “consumable” item, which is why it has a limited warranty.
  • Thanks All - FYI - I contacted BGE and they told me it wasn't covered for dropping. They did offer me a "compassion" warranty of 50% off. So far it's holding up - only after two cooks. As a whiny note, the poor design of the rack caused the conveggtor to slip out while rolling the egg. But it's a "storage" rack so maybe I wasn't supposed to move the egg with the CV in the rack.
  • I am hesitant to cook my family's food with a toxic adhesive (JB weld) that could be dangerous at high temps. 

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @SMITTYtheSMOKER - glad you have surfaced here.  Was hoping you were just running submerged and undetected til the covid dust more or less settled.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Yeah, just busy selling Eggs and preaching to unsaved. LOL

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA