Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

National Brisket Day (May 28) landing thread for that meteorite you created throughout the weekend

Options

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,648
    Options
    Sorry to hijack this thread guys and gals! My last brisket was dry and tough but everyone (same crowd) enjoyed it. I however visit Texas and know what should be going on!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    I believe we are still working out the kinks with remote driving...time will tell.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Nice work @alaskanassasin Mine is holding steady at 176 right now.  Wrapped it in paper at 159.  I spent a highly lubricated night. He king on it very few hours.  The new gasket and bands are treating this one right. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,648
    Options
    I have only cooked two briskets, both times going into it with 1-1.5 hrs per pound and both took around 45min  :o

Thanks @thetrim
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    R2Egg2Q said:
    Two 12+lbs (before trimming) prime packers on the XL now.

Earlier this AM before wrapping the top one in butcher paper and swapping positions from top to bottom.

Bottom one to top

Wrapped the 2nd one about 50 mins later.

Both off within 15 minutes of each other and waiting before wrapping in foil and towels and into the cooler.

Looking forward to lunch!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • 1WVU
    1WVU Posts: 160
    Options

That looks amazing.
    Roanoke, VA
    Large BGE Owner
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Wow, what a thread, thanks @lousubcap.  Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda, drooling but doing a couple of nice rib eyes tonight.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • 1WVU
    1WVU Posts: 160
    Options
    Unfortunately no brisket for me today.  My plan was a pork butt.  However we had torrential rain yesterday evening and flooding.  My power went out so butt didn’t go on last night. Decided to try my first turbo butt; it’s on my egg now as I pump water out of my crawl space.  Ain’t life grand?  Lol.  Happy Memorial Day folks.  Thank you to those who served our great country!
    Roanoke, VA
    Large BGE Owner
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Mines been on since 3AM and is still in the stall at 152. I’d wrap but I don’t like my bark formation yet.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• thetrim
    Options
    Sitting now at 180. I have to kick up the heat a little.  I want to take this thing off NLT 1400.    
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    Options
    I’m seriously regretting not doing one of these this weekend.  Y’all are killing it!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina - to give you a decent heads-up; next year National Brisket Day is Tuesday, May 28, 2019.  You can get a whole lot of wet aging done by then  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @JohnInCarolina - to give you a decent heads-up; next year National Brisket Day is Tuesday, May 28, 2019.  You can get a whole lot of wet aging done by then  ;)
    Lol.  Not sure that’s enough advance notice, Frank.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    Not a brisket, but a killer Creekstone tri-tip. Hey it's beef... It counts

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options

Cooling rack pre-FTC.  Be ready at exactly noon.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    edited May 2018
    Options
    What’s the longest you guys have ever been in the stall cause I’m approaching hour 6

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    So many beautiful cooks (the meat)!  I’m so jealous!  Visiting my in-laws in Florida for the weekend.  Saturday I fixed the garage door opener; this morning (I think) I fixed a leaking refrigerator.  Yesterday mom asked that I pull the weeds in front of the house...sigh.

Oh, it’s my birthday!  Woohoo!
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited May 2018
    Options
    One in the drink two in the...dishwasher. Started a pastrami today and doing another Meyer all natural 6lb packer and rack of St. Louis spares. All store-bought! Haven’t bought meat at the grocery store in months but briskets are hard to come by with the local producers. They are either 30lbs or cut in half or not fed right to make them good for bbq. I’ve always had good luck with the ”all natural” (whatever that even means) spares from HEB. Good thing it’s going to be 103 degrees today and I chose to tend a live fire. Smart guy. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Lo_Gear
    Lo_Gear Posts: 108
    Options
    Turned out very well for a wal mart brisket. Sorry for no sliced pics I had a crowd around waiting to slice it up and serve, everyone enjoyed tho. Hope everyone has a good holiday!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You guys better watch out. Steven Reichlen is going to steal your pics and pu them on his website. Some nice looking briskets on here. Wow. 
  • thetrim
    Options
    All the way up to 183 now.  I've never had a brisket take this damn long!  Friggin' cow!
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    thetrim said:
    All the way up to 183 now.  I've never had a brisket take this damn long!  Friggin' cow!
    Now you know who drives to cook (sorry Frank) :smiley:
  • thetrim
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Yup!!! This friggin' cow is driving the cook, and the cook is driving me crazy!  I think today is Frank's X-Mas.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options

Rakassan!
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    thetrim said:
    I’m with you. I’m in hour 9 and I’m only at 164. This was only a 10lb brisket. My last 2 briskets have taken almost 2hours per pound. Not looking good.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    thetrim said:

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Yup!!! This friggin' cow is driving the cook, and the cook is driving me crazy!  I think today is Frank's X-Mas.
    You know it! You can push it if you want. You could be a few hours away even at 187. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    However long it takes, the end game is what counts.  I'm throttling back as this one decided to cruise thru the stall.  For the past several I have been averaging around 0.75 hrs/lb at around 260-280*F on the dome.  (Cal checked last night).  This one is in that ball-ark right now but I'm still about 30 *F or so from declaring victory.  Just along for the ride.  ;)
  • kingsmoke
    kingsmoke Posts: 151
    Options
     still a beginner in the brisket world. 12 # brisket went on at 3 am . Grill temp of 250/275 all along. Pulled it off Egg at 130 PM. Only lightly foiled the thin end during the cook. IT temp of 201. Prob went in like buttah in a few different places.  Seems like it finished too early. Eager to sample it later
    Grand Rapids , Mi
    LBGE -  28Blackstone - Saber grill
  • thetrim
    Options
    She started cooperating once I kicked it to 275.  I pulled it off.  She was on there just under 14 hours.  It was a 15.4# pre trimmed, and I trimmed a lot.  
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95