Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

With heavy heart, selling our almost like new large egg

Options

Comments

• bjeans
    bjeans Posts: 191
    Options
    Did it rain or do you hose off the deck so it's wet before a cook? 
    Ex LBGE owner and current BGE liker 
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    It had rained before.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    Sell the dang thing!  The lifestyle is fun & leisure.  It's hard to do that if you're constantly worried about fire.  Sell it and get something you feel good using.  Like propane and propane accessories. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    bjeans said:
    Did it rain or do you hose off the deck so it's wet before a cook? 
    Rain/hose won't necessarily help. Ask @Spaightlabs. Sounds like it had rained buckets the day he lost his house. https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1166806/pyrophoric-charring-or-why-did-my-house-bur-down
    Jeremiah said:
    I’m planning a paver egg space but that’s probably still six moths out. 
    @Jeremiah, make sure your pavers have a solid foundation. My patio is surfaced with pavers over a tamped sand base - been there for years and has stayed relatively level. I placed my egg on it when I first brought it home and it was fine for a while. Then, the dome started to drop on it's own. Wouldn't stay up unless I held it there. The weight of the large egg was too much for my tamped sand and the pavers under my front casters settled a bit. Not much, but enough.  

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bjeans
    Options
    Sell the dang thing!  The lifestyle is fun & leisure.  It's hard to do that if you're constantly worried about fire.  Sell it and get something you feel good using.  Like propane and propane accessories. 
    I heart Hank Hill so much. (Propane food = Meh. Had one. Squirrels ate the wires.) 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    RRP said:
    lkapigian said:
    I smoke in this thing...all wood...very old wood

First time I've seen an outhouse without a crescent moon cut in the door! 
    When I put the toilet in, we are doing the moon 

Without question there will be a seat in mine - I'm long past denying my weird sense of humor.

Phoenix 
  • blasting
    Options

@bjeans  I'm sorry you've come to that conclusion.  Sad that you want to egg but feel you can't.

Personally, I'd make it as safe as possible by taking all precautions - then proceed.  Outdoor cooking is very important to me, some might say too important.  In any case there is no way I'd give it up.

Phoenix 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    bjeans said:
    bjeans said:
    caliking said:
    OP may be overly concerned about the (un) likely event of her homestead burning down, but that's her prerogative. And if she's not enjoying cooking outside with her current set-up, then there's no point. 

@bjeans- I have sold a few things on OfferUp recently and really like the app. All communication is done though the app, and you meet somewhere to exchange money for goods, after settling on a price. I would consider cross-listing to see if you get any bites.
    I think I'm as worried or more so about our closest neighbor's 1983 wood shake roof that's kind of below us. And thank you - I'll check out OfferUp - hadn't heard of it. And we'd need to rent a truck with a ramp I guess... 

All the kind push-back to keep me enjoying the egg makes me think I'll make one last call - to our local fire department. I know, they're paid to worry. I wish I was. $$$$$.
    Good bye BGE! Lol. The fire department is paid to make YOU worry. No way they are going to tell you it’s ok to have a charcoal grill on a wood deck. I have mine on a composite deck but I would have had a fire if it were wood. My table burned down and melted a hole in the composite about 8 years ago. 
    Our deck is 100% plastic lumber, no wood, though it looks like wood. (Everyone does this skeptical-face-squat-and-touch thing to check.) They use it for furniture, pylons in the ocean - is solid, not hollow. But it can melt. 

How did your table catch fire? 
    I have the same type decking but older. People do not need to look too hard to know it’s composite :).  It will not burn.

Not 100% sure how the table caught fire but I think it was from a plastic handled grill brush that was touching the egg after a pizza cook. We shut the egg down, went to a movie and went out in the morning and my table was half gone. All that was left of the brush was a pile of stainless steel bristles. Very lucky it didn’t burn all the way and dump the egg full of hot lump all over my deck. House would have been a goner if that happened. Went back to a nest and have never had any issues since.

FWIW- I have run 2 large eggs, a pizza oven, and blackstone, a propane fire pit and a stickburner up there. I’m likely asking for trouble but the composite decking has done it’s job. I’m moving the stick burner to the garage/driveway though. I’m literally playing with fire on that one. I’ve lost my nerve with burning wood put there. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bjeans
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Our deck isn't composite - no wood, just high-density polyethylene (HDPE aka plastic jugs). I've read that composites like Trex are rated the same as wood and can burn. But it sure seems like they catch more slowly, if at all.

Fire on HDPE tends to self-extinguish. But I'd guess not if the bottom drops off of an egg. I'm less concerned about the deck than other stuff. 

Why is your KBQ C-60 the dishwasher? You burn off crud in it? And your wife apparently rocks. 

• CMH88
    CMH88 Posts: 40
    Options
    interested. sent you a pm.
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    No disrespect, but I think you’re being paranoid. My Egg is on a cedar deck attached to a cedar sided house that backs up into the woods. I have a hose nearby, but am unlikely to ever use it. For what it’s worth, I don’t do overnight cooks. If you’re worried about the wood deck igniting from a spark, consider a deck covering under the Egg. I used to use a 48” square piece of sheet metal that I powder coated at work.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • bjeans
    Options
    Teefus said:
    No disrespect, but I think you’re being paranoid. My Egg is on a cedar deck attached to a cedar sided house that backs up into the woods. I have a hose nearby, but am unlikely to ever use it. For what it’s worth, I don’t do overnight cooks. If you’re worried about the wood deck igniting from a spark, consider a deck covering under the Egg. I used to use a 48” square piece of sheet metal that I powder coated at work.
    I probably am - being paranoid. Our deck is 100% plastic lumber, no wood. So it could melt, but it's doubtful it would catch on fire. I'm more concerned about dry leaves and debris, my neighbor's old wood shake roof, our dry cedar shingles. Part of it is quite a few fires from grills in our town lately. But egg fires happen, and I'm not sure that in this particular house I can rewind and get re-comfortable. (Note to self: move to the desert.) But you guys do have me re-thinking. Lots of re's. And I appreciate every comment and push-back. 
  • bjeans
    Options
    Look, at the end of the day it is your decision.  If you are uncomfortable you will not enjoy the Egg.

Sell it and move on.  To many other things in life to enjoy.  Feel free to hang around here and participate, regardless of egg status.
    Thank you - I appreciate it. You guys sure know how to cook. (We went to a small Eggfest last year, talk about knowing how to cook!)
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    Last summer I cooked on the second floor deck at my in-laws beach house.  This year I moved to the back driveway - wanna be safe... I understand your concern.
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• bjeans
    Options
    JMCXL said:
    Last summer I cooked on the second floor deck at my in-laws beach house.  This year I moved to the back driveway - wanna be safe... I understand your concern.
    Thank you. An Egg demo was going on at a local Ace Hardware recently, and the distributor doing the cook told me that in Atlanta the only grill being considered to be allowed on highrise balconies was the Egg. I don't know if that's true or not, but asked wouldn't that mean a concrete deck and brick/concrete/etc. building? Kind of different. 

• bjeans
    Options
    I sold two larges recently for $600 each. 
    Thank you - Eggs only? 
  • blasting
    Options
    @bjeans  I've been thinking about your post this afternoon.  

I'm thinking if you could install a screen on your top vent, there shouldn't be any more risk than a gas grill.

I have purchased stainless oil filtration screens from a company who I'm confident could easily make top vent screen for you.  I have no ties / affiliation with this company.  Then you'd be ember free.

I simply hate to see you get rid of your egg when you clearly don't want to.  I'm hoping we can check all the boxes for you.  If this would help, I'd be happy to dig up their name.

Phoenix 
  • bjeans
    Options
    1voyager said:
    bjeans said:

1voyager said:
    I only have an MS in worrying, as opposed to your PhD, but I have my LBGE on a wood deck. When I use the Egg or the gas grill I watch them like a hawk. No worries.
    What do you worry about with the gas grill? I'm all for collecting new worries. 

What I haven't figured out is how my worrying will put out a fire if sparks fly too far. Remember Chris and Dizzy Pig? A spark into his garage? Bye, house. 
    I don't worry because I watch it. I would worry if I didn't. Fire on wood, just like fire on a ship. Or maybe it's because I enjoy worrying.  :o
    It is a decent hobby, isn't it.

You reminded me of an old Lake Woebegone audio story about a group of ministers on a pontoon boat with a grill. The boat tilts with the weight of the ministers, the grill slides toward them, and the boat begins to sink. (For a while it looked like all the ministers were walking on water.) 
  • Hebs
    Hebs Posts: 5
    edited May 2018
    Options
    bjeans, are you more concerned with a spark coming from the pinwheel area or the lower vent? Spark arresting the pinwheel as other have suggested is a good idea. I don't think there should be any concern for slow cooks, even through the night. If you are, getting a probe setup like the CyberQ wifi would remove your concerns with anything exiting the bottom vent as it completely covers it. Additionally you can monitor the temp of all your probes on your phone. (with apps that send you alerts if the temp spikes) That leaves you to the top vent which is nearly completely closed during a slow cook and I can't envision an instance where you're cooking at 250 or less with a plate setter and somehow an ember sneaking around the plate setter, the grid, and thru a 1/8" gap at the top. A small screen would resolve that issue. 

Perhaps your husband could build a small "smokehouse" type structure to fit around the egg. Plywood on the outside, sheet metal on the inside. Top, bottom, sides, with a hood to chimney setup. Extreme overkill I know... It would probably still be cheaper to do that than all the $ you'll lose by selling it. That would be the pretty way to handle it. There are a ton of not so asthetically pleasing solutions that could be thought up to handle it as well. 

Yet another thought would be to get a mesh cover for the dome and then put a SmokeWare Stainless Steel Vented Chimney Cap on top of that. 

Bottom line is, if you eliminate the 2 areas sparks can exit the egg while it's unattended, you should be perfectly safe. 
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    We are sneaking up on the 4 year anniversary of our little conflagration.  If we had been using a challenger table or even a nest at the time we wouldn't have the sweet new house and all the sweet new stuff we got after the fire.   =)

If you aren't comfortable with your setup the enjoyable experience that egging should be will be a stressor.
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    +1 @Spaightlabs.  Don't rush to sell it though, you may have second thoughts or regrets.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options

I have been egging for 15 years and have never had any sparks coming out of the bottom or top of an egg. All of the fires I have seen on the forum have been the result of wood tables, an egging friend had a fire from forgetting to close the dome after pulling some steaks off the egg, he went out a couple hours later to find the wood table burning on his wood deck and quickly put the fire out with a garden hose. All of my eggs are in a nest except one and it's in an all metal table. My Mini Max is on a covered wood deck with outdoor carpet and many a sparks have burned small spots on the carpet from starting the lump with a weed burner!

Your egg is not in a wood table, so you don't have that risk.

If you think about how many Big Green Eggs that are out there and how few fires that have happened your risk is very small.

I cook at Eggfest a lot every year and you would be amazed at how many people tell me they have an Egg and when I ask if they are on the forum they usually say what forum? So what we see here doesn't represent the total number of people that have Eggs.

If you keep the screen closed on the bottom vent and use your Smoke Wear top your risk of sparks exiting the egg are extremely low.

You need to do what makes you happy and I completely understand that, I think your at a much greater risk of having a car accident than a fire from cooking on your egg.

I hope this little bit of info helps you become more comfortable using your egg.

I say Egg On!

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Trust your gut feel.  As has been mentioned above, if you are not enjoying (non-stress) the entire process then it is time to move on.   Once done, follow the advice of the late great Leroy "Satchel" Paige, "Don't look back, somethin might be gainin on ya."
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    I have nothing useful to add to this conversation, just felt compelled to post.  Strange what 3 cups of coffee will do to you.
  • Stubby
    Stubby Posts: 134
    Options
    I was thinking random thoughts... i think the mesh idea is a good one.  If you do attempt that post sime pics and maybe you can keep egging.. 
    XL.......for now

Kernersville, NC
  • bjeans
    Options
    Hi all - I couldn't disagree with the comments about the risk being small if I tried. And appreciate the suggestions - a couple almost convinced me. But besides being an ace worrier, I'm spooked by the recent grill fires in our area, even though the likelihood they were from Eggs is small. 

And it looks like I've sold it, having received the deposit. If for some reason the buyer changes his mind I'll let folks know since there has been interest. 

BTW, an Egg demo we stumbled upon also had a pellet grill demo. The pellet grill guy was saying it was safer than an Egg. He left and the Egg guy said he knew about two pellet grills that caught on fire. Time for an 8x8 hibachi like in the olden days. Or I'll stick to ice cream. 

One of the worst parts of selling will be not being part of this community - you guys really jump in to help fellow and fellowette Eggers. The buyer is new to the forum - may he get as much out of it as I have. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    bjeans said:
    Hi all - I couldn't disagree with the comments about the risk being small if I tried. And appreciate the suggestions - a couple almost convinced me. But besides being an ace worrier, I'm spooked by the recent grill fires in our area, even though the likelihood they were from Eggs is small. 

And it looks like I've sold it, having received the deposit. If for some reason the buyer changes his mind I'll let folks know since there has been interest. 

BTW, an Egg demo we stumbled upon also had a pellet grill demo. The pellet grill guy was saying it was safer than an Egg. He left and the Egg guy said he knew about two pellet grills that caught on fire. Time for an 8x8 hibachi like in the olden days. Or I'll stick to ice cream. 

One of the worst parts of selling will be not being part of this community - you guys really jump in to help fellow and fellowette Eggers. The buyer is new to the forum - may he get as much out of it as I have. 

Half the people on here don’t cook on BGE’s or even Komados. Stick around and have some fun with us. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bjeans
    Options
    Then I'm in - and thank you! Btw, I know some are wondering but are too polite (ha!) to ask. $600. Lots of stuff, more than listed under my name. And the new Egger is very eggcited (his word, getting the lingo), which makes this less sad. 

I won't admit that I'm thinking just a little bit about getting a really small Egg. Smaller surface, fewer sparks, add a tiny screen at the top... My long-suffering husband said it's my call, since he's not involved in egging other than eating. (He did make a steak on the egg once, but he's a gas grill guy.)

Did I say this? Last autumn I swept leaves off the deck, but they rudely kept falling, and just as I opened the dome, a leaf dropped in - and sparking, tried to fly back out. There were tons of dry leaves everywhere. I swatted it, but that's the kind of thing that worried me too. 

Worrier Warrier