Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first pro gig (well im not getting paid or anything)

Options

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Can force yourself to puke?  If so make it violent and public.  No way the wife makes you leave the house after that.  Make sure your kids see it too. They’ll be traumatized, but that short term set back will pay big dividends if you can keep an eye on the cook.   The way things are going today, if you leave that unattended, I fear you’re coming home to some hockey pucks that would make @Mickey blush.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Damn. Only a nap from adult beverages and a slow game on tv would make me leave the cook for 4 hours today. Good luck. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    If you have to leave it, you might want to close the vents a little to get it down to about 300. 

But the @thetrim projectile vomiting plan is the best one. That story would get told forever. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• kaybee
    kaybee Posts: 120
    Options
    Good Lord. I wait breathlessly for the next update in The Saga of the Cursed Cook!! Don't think I have ever laughed so hard at a thread, my apologies for enjoying your misery, consider it being of the shared variety anyway!
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    When I left the dome temp was at 350 fingers crossed it stays stable I’m in the theater now. On the positive side I hade corn beef hash and banana pancakes for breakfast and were seeing the avengers which I wanted to see. I’m trying not to think of the possible debacle I might walk into when I return home in a couple hours. But if all fails I can now blame on my wife. And believe me I’m blaming the plate setter on her as well 
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Forum classic in its own right.  Update should be entertaining.  
    Good luck out there.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    Options
    Keep on keepin on! Is this the actual feed people cook, or a practice cook?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • thetrim
    Options
    Hope you called the local fire department before you left to keep an eye on your place.  This has all the settings for a steep downfall very quickly.
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • mlc2013
    Options
    okay im home and looked at the egg and it was at 250 dome but when i opened the lid look at this goodness 
    Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    Options
    the rear butt probed like butter and bone moved freely but the front one not ready yet
    Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    Options
    so i have one butt FTC and the other still cooking
    Long Island NY    
  • thetrim
    Options
    Sounds like things are turning for the better.  Go run out to the gas station and buy a lottery ticket!
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • mlc2013
    Options
    actually there is more to it. It must not have stayed stabled at 350 as i pulled the one butt i opened the vents to let the other butt cook at a higher temp for a little longer only to realize that there was no more lump. if I do the math 2x 8.5lb butts at 350 figure 30-45 minutes per pound that should be 4.25 hours minimum I put protein on at 9:45, 3 o'clock is when I should be checking for temp not removing to FTC so I can only assume my fire went high as there is nice bark on the butts and someone was looking down on me and decided to burn through my lump which I filled today and let it cool to the 250 that it was reading when I came home. So i wrapped the second butt in foil and put in my oven at 375 just to finish it off not sure how long it has to be in there so will check every 15 minutes
    Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    Options

Keep on keepin on! Is this the actual feed people cook, or a practice cook
    today is D-Day
    Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    Options
    or should I say the beginning to my not so glorious future in catering LOL
    Long Island NY    
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Dude. This sounds like something I would do. No rest for the wicked. Give em hell. I’ll be following. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • NC_Egghead
    NC_Egghead Posts: 786
    Options
    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then!
    Way to pull through!
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    !Huzzah!

Ah, the Macallan 12. As my wife said some years ago, "Is this the crack of whiskey?" I got to finish the bottle.
  • mlc2013
    Options
    Okay the second but its done (maybe a little to much for my taste) and wrapped and snuggled nicely with its sister The party is at 5:00 so were going to head over Ill send shredded shots once I shred. On another note I burned my itty bitty pinky finger removing the butt from pan in the oven, because the butt was breaking apart in my hands trying to move it from tray to foil. 
    Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    Options
    gdenby funny i always called it the heroine of whisky; once you have it you cant stop but crave it till you get more and then its all gone henc why there is always 2 -3 bottles in my bar at all times one never knows when the itch is going to come and how much it takes to relieve that itch
    Long Island NY    
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    Options
    Back of eggs run hotter, so it makes sense the back one was done first.

When you say you filled it up, what do you mean?  Just fire bowl, fire ring, or to bottom of plate setter/stone? Even at 450 you should not have consumed all the lump in that time.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Nice save @mlc2013.  Please post pics of it pulled.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Way to hang in there.  I'll bet it's the hit of the party, sorry for the plate setter.  Hard to beat Egged Pork.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • mlc2013
    Options
    1. I filled to egg to bottom of platesetter with lump
    Long Island NY    
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Now that looks like a banquet waiting to happen.  Could be considered a happy ending in some circles.  Congrats.  Way to stay the course and deliver the goods.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • mlc2013
    Options
    cook came out good, and everyone told me the best they ever had. I cant believe I was worried this catering gig is a piece of cake I think I found my new career. Seriously thanks for the help and im very relieved that everything turned out ok now im going to bed a long weekend and still 1 day to go
    Long Island NY    
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Glad to hear, food off an egg rules
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    mlc2013 said:
    cook came out good, and everyone told me the best they ever had. I cant believe I was worried this catering gig is a piece of cake I think I found my new career. Seriously thanks for the help and im very relieved that everything turned out ok now im going to bed a long weekend and still 1 day to go
    If you liked this then you will love catering. Every job I ever did was pretty much like this from start to finish. Like trying to roller skate on ice. 
  • mlc2013
    Options
    The Cen-Tex Smoker, Maybe it is something I should look into as I thought the pork was a little dry and lacked the flavor of my last cook. Still everyone raved are they just being nice or do they not know good food. Overall it was a success and I didnt stress to much over it I was still drunk in the morning and trying to operate drunk wasn't very east for me. 
    Thanks everyone for the advice and helping hands when I couldn't think straight
    Long Island NY    
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited May 2018
    Options
    mlc2013 said:
    The Cen-Tex Smoker, I was still drunk in the morning and trying to operate drunk wasn't very east for me. 

This just takes practice. I’ve put in my 10,000 hours (many of them documented on here) so I’m expert level drunk bbq operator. 

As far as the food goes, most people don’t know the difference between good and great. Half of those that do don’t care like we do. This is the biggest mistake I always make. Assuming if it’s not perfect, it’s not good. I’m shooting for the 2-3% window between perfect and really good and I notice when I dont hit it. Nobody else does. Taught a brisket class last month and I thought it was average at best (and I was right). He said he got more emails raving about it than any other class he can remember. I was a little embarrassed that it didn’t turn out the wayI wanted it to but everyone there was just learning and thought it was awesome. Just know that you are good enough if you want to give it a go. 90% of all catering food sucks. Anything homemade with a little skill is going to be better than almost anything else out there.