Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

With heavy heart, selling our almost like new large egg

Options
bjeans
bjeans Posts: 191
I love our BGE. But after thought, reading and conversations, have decided to sell it. With wood siding and a deck surrounded by trees I'm too concerned about fire.. Yes, I keep the screen closed, have a hose and fire extinguisher nearby, etc. But I can't guarantee a stray ember isn't going to ignite leaves or who knows what. I've seen the photos. I stopped cooks months ago during a very dry spell with fire hazard warnings, and didn't resume. And when I did cooks, I never left the deck or the kitchen where I could see it - not very relaxing.

I'm 100% not judging how anyone else places their egg. I can be a worry wart, but my ultra calm husband hasn't suggested it's on me this time. (I'm the cook.)

I couldn't find anything saying we couldn't list our egg for sale here, but I'm also asking what you think a large egg, handler, cover and other eggie acoutrements might sell for. Having a PhD in worrying, I'm not thrilled about Craig's List - someone would have to come into the house to wheel it out. We're in the DC/MD/VA area. (Have taken great classes at Dizzy Pig. Know about Chris's house fire long ago.)

Many people here have been incredibly helpful to me. Some day, another house, I'll egg again. 
Beth
Ex LBGE owner and current BGE liker 

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    I paid 300 for large used with accessories , seen one for 200 here recently ...id keep it and figure out something that will make you feel comfortable using it....especially if you don't need the space or money 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • bjeans
    Options
    Thanks - and believe me, we've tried. How used was your used? Mine has a light, PSWoo, SS chimney cap (unused), conveggtor, more... Also a custom small Challenger island (not to hold the egg) but we'll probably keep that. 
  • tenpenny_05
    tenpenny_05 Posts: 286
    Options
    Where are you located??
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • bjeans
    Options
    In NoVa. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    Isn't there some place out in your yard where you would feel safe? Sorry, but I think that igniting trees is quite a bit of a stretch. Do you have a garage and drive way?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    I’m down in Richmond in a wood sided house. I’ve had my large for 6 years and keep it in the garage. I simply wheel it to the driveway or patio and cook all day. Close it down and pit it away once cooled. For low and slow I barely check it. Hot cooks I’m right there watching. Man, don’t give up!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Ahhhh... nice and relaxing!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I only have an MS in worrying, as opposed to your PhD, but I have my LBGE on a wood deck. When I use the Egg or the gas grill I watch them like a hawk. No worries.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • lkapigian
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I smoke in this thing...all wood...very old wood

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    lkapigian said:

First time I've seen an outhouse without a crescent moon cut in the door! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bjeans
    Options
    Ahhhh... nice and relaxing!
    Really nice! But our situation isn't anything like that. 
  • jimdgreat1
    jimdgreat1 Posts: 175
    Options
    RRP said:
    lkapigian said:

What a **** response.

XLBGE - LBGE - Charbroil gasgrill

Wichita Kansas

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I think $500-$600 depending on the accessories is about the number. You will see the $300 deals every once in a great while but the vast majority go for a little more. I sold a large egg, nest, side shelves, Adjustable Rig R&B, spider, stones and a cyber Q for like $750 (I think that was the number) on here in under an hour.  $500 for the egg and $250 for all the toys. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • jimdgreat1
    jimdgreat1 Posts: 175
    Options
    Well crap. My response isn't near as funny blanked out.

XLBGE - LBGE - Charbroil gasgrill

Wichita Kansas

• bjeans
    Options

1voyager said:
    I only have an MS in worrying, as opposed to your PhD, but I have my LBGE on a wood deck. When I use the Egg or the gas grill I watch them like a hawk. No worries.
    What do you worry about with the gas grill? I'm all for collecting new worries. 

What I haven't figured out is how my worrying will put out a fire if sparks fly too far. Remember Chris and Dizzy Pig? A spark into his garage? Bye, house. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I have forwarded to someone I no in Northern VA...will connect with you via PM if there is interest.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lkapigian
    Options
    RRP said:
    lkapigian said:

When I put the toilet in, we are doing the moon 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • bjeans
    edited May 2018
    Options

RRP said:
    Isn't there some place out in your yard where you would feel safe? Sorry, but I think that igniting trees is quite a bit of a stretch. Do you have a garage and drive way?
    Okay, here are the boring deets. (Can I say deets if I'm old?)

We live on a wooded lot on a hill. (A mature oak tree even grows through the deck in a framed out hole, not that I'm worried about it catching fire unless it's autumn and leaves are dry and flying everywhere.)

The garage is under the house toward the back at the bottom of a long, steep driveway. Cooking in front of the garage where it's flat would mean going down 1-1/2 flights of interior stairs, across a room and though the garage. Carrying everything. Alternatively I could go out the front walkway and down the long, steep driveway (with my wonky knee). Or I could use a rolling ss cart, let it go and watch it fly down the hill. (I don't walk down the hill if it's wet or leaf-/oak-catkin covered.) 

The front yard is really small with meandering garden beds and trees, and the egg would have to sit on grass, not block the walkway. We wouldn't be allowed to put in a pad. There'd be no place for the challenger so would mean bringing out a table, utensils, etc. We bought the Challenger to have everything close by. I won't play if it's like camping.

I'm not sure that the egg wouldn't disappear if we left it in the front yard and bringing it back in over two steps to go back through the house to the deck wouldn't be the most fun. 

Imagine this: for regular kitchen cooking having to get everything - including the stove - and move it all to the basement at the other side of the house to cook it. 

I've read so many posts discouraging people from egging on their deck, too close to the house, etc. For our situation I just agree. 

As for the out-house looking smoker? You're kind of brave and I bet make an incredibly mean BBQ that I'd eat plates of. 

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    You’re sure there isn’t anywhere to put it? Since moving to our new house last year, mine has lived in the garage, being moved onto the driveway for cooking, then back in the garage the next day. I’m planning a paver egg space but that’s probably still six moths out. For now the driveway egging works fine. Egg on, don’t let this knock y’all out!!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited May 2018
    Options
    bjeans said:

1voyager said:
    What do you worry about with the gas grill? I'm all for collecting new worries. 

What I haven't figured out is how my worrying will put out a fire if sparks fly too far. Remember Chris and Dizzy Pig? A spark into his garage? Bye, house. 
    I don't worry because I watch it. I would worry if I didn't. Fire on wood, just like fire on a ship. Or maybe it's because I enjoy worrying.  :o
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • bjeans
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I think $500-$600 depending on the accessories is about the number. You will see the $300 deals every once in a great while but the vast majority go for a little more. I sold a large egg, nest, side shelves, Adjustable Rig R&B, spider, stones and a cyber Q for like $750 (I think that was the number) on here in under an hour.  $500 for the egg and $250 for all the toys. 
    Thanks much for the advice - and I've really enjoyed your posts. 
  • bjeans
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I have forwarded to someone I no in Northern VA...will connect with you via PM if there is interest.
    Thank you, appreciated. I read your posts too. 
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I sold two larges recently for $600 each. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    OP may be overly concerned about the (un) likely event of her homestead burning down, but that's her prerogative. And if she's not enjoying cooking outside with her current set-up, then there's no point. 

@bjeans- I have sold a few things on OfferUp recently and really like the app. All communication is done though the app, and you meet somewhere to exchange money for goods, after settling on a price. I would consider cross-listing to see if you get any bites.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,896
    Options
    @bjeans - saw your other post - https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1208528/kind-of-bummed/p1 and I understand your concerns. Others may have missed it so I link it here so folks will have an inkling of what your worry about. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I just went back and looked. i got $600 for the egg and $250 for all the toys. $850 total. 
  • bjeans
    Options
    caliking said:
    OP may be overly concerned about the (un) likely event of her homestead burning down, but that's her prerogative. And if she's not enjoying cooking outside with her current set-up, then there's no point. 

@bjeans- I have sold a few things on OfferUp recently and really like the app. All communication is done though the app, and you meet somewhere to exchange money for goods, after settling on a price. I would consider cross-listing to see if you get any bites.
    I think I'm as worried or more so about our closest neighbor's 1983 wood shake roof that's kind of below us. And thank you - I'll check out OfferUp - hadn't heard of it. And we'd need to rent a truck with a ramp I guess... 

All the kind push-back to keep me enjoying the egg makes me think I'll make one last call - to our local fire department. I know, they're paid to worry. I wish I was. $$$$$.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited May 2018
    Options
    bjeans said:
    caliking said:

I think I'm as worried or more so about our closest neighbor's 1983 wood shake roof that's kind of below us. And thank you - I'll check out OfferUp - hadn't heard of it. And we'd need to rent a truck with a ramp I guess... 

All the kind push-back to keep me enjoying the egg makes me think I'll make one last call - to our local fire department. I know, they're paid to worry. I wish I was. $$$$$.
    Good bye BGE! Lol. The fire department is paid to make YOU worry. No way they are going to tell you it’s ok to have a charcoal grill on a wood deck. I have mine on a composite deck but I would have had a fire if it were wood. My table burned down and melted a hole in the composite about 8 years ago. 
  • bjeans
    Options
    bjeans said:
    caliking said:

Good bye BGE! Lol. The fire department is paid to make YOU worry. No way they are going to tell you it’s ok to have a charcoal grill on a wood deck. I have mine on a composite deck but I would have had a fire if it were wood. My table burned down and melted a hole in the composite about 8 years ago. 
    Our deck is 100% plastic lumber, no wood, though it looks like wood. (Everyone does this skeptical-face-squat-and-touch thing to check.) They use it for furniture, pylons in the ocean - is solid, not hollow. But it can melt. 

How did your table catch fire? 
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I feel safer with my XL in my Challenger vs my previous set up. When I light it up I am always on guard for an stray sparks but so far knock on wood I have not had any issues.